3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How about this arrow?  (Read 349 times)

Offline varden

• Trad Bowhunter
How about this arrow?
« on: June 18, 2009, 12:22:00 PM »
I'm shooting a 29" 510 gr arrow with 175 grs up front from about 53/54 lbs draw. My FOC is 14.5%. I'll get the velocity as soon as I can get a new battery for my chrony.

How much would I benefit from weight tubes? Has anyone ever used a heavier section of weight tube for the first few inches and then a lighter weight for the rest of the arrow in order to improve FOC? How did it work?

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How about this arrow?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 12:36:00 PM »
what are you hunting for? For most critters you are likely pretty good, but for bigger game you are likely on the light side. IMO and from most of the folks with experience shooting elk/caribou/etc, bigger animals should be shot with about 600 gr arrows on the lighter side. Of course opinions vary, but I shoot a 600 gr arrow for all my big game out of a longbow of the same draw weight.

Offline varden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 02:24:00 PM »
I'll be hunting deer and maybe bears or moose. I figured I was borderline and needed to go heavier. I ought to just get some tubes in there and then worry about velocity. I can't be the first guy to think of using two different tube weights in combination though. What do you think men?

Offline JOKER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 02:28:00 PM »
That arrow should be good for most anything if it is tuned good. However, if you want more weight (for penatration or quieter bow) I would get a stiffer arrow and add weight up front (such as brass inserts or heavier pt). The higher FOC will give you much better penatration and a more forgiving arrow than would just adding weight tubes. I am not a big fan of weight tubes.

Steve

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 03:05:00 PM »
Here is my current setup:

Arrows cut to 29.75" from nock throat to BOP
ICS Bowhunter 500, wrap, nock and 3 x 4" feathers   260.00 gr.      
Brass insert   100.0 gr.
Steel field point   145.00 gr.   
Total Weight   505.00 gr.   
52# @ 28" Kanati 58" R/D Longbow, gpp = 9.71   
Balance point = 21.50   
Percent FOC = 20.59%   
Comments:
Shoots great groups out to 25 yards (as far as I could get in my driveway). Arrow flight was excellent, no wobble or porpoising.

I'll be using a 150 gr. broadhead (Woodsman Elite most likely). This will bring my total up to 510. The added length of the broadhead will likely mean little change in FOC or spine, but I'll test that theory when I get the broadheads.

I would think you could use almost the same setup for increased FOC without messing with your trajectory, just by cutting these arrows to closer to your length (be careful, carbons are stiff).

With a scary sharp broadhead, I would use this for anything I'm likely to hunt.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline varden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 04:59:00 PM »
I don't dare go shorter since my arrows are just slightly stiff. I think that will be fine though with the woodsmans. I'm using the 50 gr brass point inserts now, I think I'll try some 100 grainers when my new shafts come in.

Offline Jesse Peltan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 10:55:00 PM »
If you are slightly stiff add weight to the tip. That will improve foc, tuning, and arrow weight. If you feel you still need a heavier arrow either cut the shaft shorter and retune or get a higher spine weight.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 09:02:00 AM »
My cousin Alfie has a huge front of center.  I told him that wasn't good and he should really see about that NutriSystem plan.  I'm trying to keep mine as low as possible so I can get around in the woods better.

On another plane, I can just hear the Native American hunting parties, sitting around the fire discussing fronts of center, and weight tubes.  8^).

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 09:23:00 AM »
Originally posted by varden:
I'll be hunting deer and maybe bears or moose.
Well, this moose died from a complete pass though by a 499-grain carbon with a 125-grain 2-blade head and no front loading. Personally, I'd switch to a 2-blade head for moose, but other than that (unless your arrow is extremely slow) I wouldn't change a thing.

Offline SlowBowke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 09:30:00 AM »
"On another plane, I can just hear the Native American hunting parties, sitting around the fire discussing fronts of center, and weight tubes"

STOP!!! Oh man, my side hurts!

You're crackin' me up, George. You've NO idea how often similar comes up in discussions I have with my old trad buddy!
"Beauty is in the eye of the BOWholder" God Bless!!

Offline Rufus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 09:39:00 AM »
Nice moose Senor Wesbrock! Agree with you George. I haven't figured out how to put weight tube in my woodies yet and they seem to do the trick just find. But whatever suits one for arrow choice is fine for me. Good luck with them.  I shoot 46-50# bows mostly and my preference arrow weight is in the 500-520 gr. area with 2-blade's. The trick is to put it where it counts. I have some 50-55# spine fir shafts that weigh around 590 gr. Talk about whapping when they hit. Good day folks.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©