3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thoughts about Bear Supermag 48?  (Read 464 times)

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
Thoughts about Bear Supermag 48?
« on: June 18, 2009, 01:12:00 PM »
This is a recurve ive been looking at for sometime. I really like the look and design and being so short it would be perfect for the areas I hunt. Ive been looking at the one on 3Riversarchery.com but upon reading the reviews I discovered that a few guys said they were having warping issues and one guy even had one break he shows pics it looked pretty ugly.

Basicley what im wondering is should I go with the bow or look for something else? Since I dont know either of the guys in the reviews who really knows why the bows broke maybe it was the bows fault maybe not. What would you guys suggust? Once again thanks for any help you may have.
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thoughts about Bear Supermag 48?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 01:43:00 PM »
I have one and I shoot it pretty well.  My top limb had a tiny twist in it but I just straightend it and have not had any problems with it.  It gets hotter in my garage than I thought Rookie mistake left it strung. I don't know bud I think I would go with a little longer bow just my opinion.  It does have a little finger pinch.  Like I said I shoot it well.  I would go shoot one first.

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 02:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mo. Huntin:
I have one and I shoot it pretty well.  My top limb had a tiny twist in it but I just straightend it and have not had any problems with it.  It gets hotter in my garage than I thought Rookie mistake left it strung. I don't know bud I think I would go with a little longer bow just my opinion.  It does have a little finger pinch.  Like I said I shoot it well.  I would go shoot one first.
Like I said one of the reasons I liked it cause it was so short. I come from shooting a 32in wheel bow with fingers so this bow still seems long to me. You guys know better then me though what would you reccomend I look at for a bow thats going to be used from tree stands and thick brush? I have a Primos Predator Den ground blind and my Howatt just fits in it thats 58"AMO. If it really is that short could I maybe get away with a 52" bow? Ive already got a 66" longbow and a TD recurve so im looking for a shorty.
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline the elf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 02:22:00 PM »
Hi---maybe you should try the Kodiak Magnum--just a little longer[52 inch] it might work better for you.

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 02:26:00 PM »
Once I got the correct brace height and put some sting slincers on mine it is a nice little bow,great for pop up blind hunting.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 02:33:00 PM »
If you are going with the same draw weight as the bows in your signature, I would say the finger pinch would be pretty fierce with a 48" bow. My cousin had a Supermag back in the 70s. It was 45-50 pounds (can't recall). It shot well, but it wasn't fun to shoot (ouch). I bought a 52" Herter's recurve (49# @28") thinking it would be a great blind bow. Finger pinch made me decide someone else could enjoy it more    ;)  

My advice would be to get to a shoot or a store that will let you try them out and shoot a few before you invest in one. I wouldn't go below 56" again, but that's just me. You need to figure out how much pain you are willing to endure to fit in your blind.

Tree stands are not really a problem. I have used my 62" longbow from both ladder and hang on tree stands and felt no handicap. My 58" Kanatis offer the best of both worlds as far as I'm concerned. They are short enough to be handy in any situation, draw smoothly, shoot fast, and are quiet.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 02:50:00 PM »
What is your draw length?  Mine is 27 and there is some noticeable finger pinch.  I have heard the longer your draw is the worse it will be.  Bud If you really want that short bow I think you will be fine.  I just wanted you to know the bad with the good.  I put limb savers on it and it is reasonably quiet like that.  cool little bow.

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 02:51:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I plan on getting the bow in either 45-50. I may look for something longer then I have shot a 52" Kodiak Magnum and it was a real pleasure. My friend is looking on E-Bay for me and sent me some links to the Magnums im going browse around some more and decide.
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline Steve G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 03:21:00 PM »
I draw 29" and the Kodiak Mag draws good for me, he Mag 48 I can't get back, I fell it stacking and I feel the bow is bsing compromised.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 03:22:00 PM »
Just remember shorter bow more finger pinch, can be uncomfortable> good luck
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 03:45:00 PM »
I was checking this bow out too. Same length as the Mag but a little easier on the wallet. Are these decent bows? Im pretty new to this so I wanna buy something thats atleast decent.

http://ns1.bowsite.org/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=6&Product_ID=1731&CATID=3
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline Mechslasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 03:45:00 PM »
i've had two and still shoot one for bowfishing.  never had a problem with stacking or pinch and i draw 28", but i shoot two under.  they are great little bows but need a clean release.  if you're in the market for a short bow, contact james parker of huntworthy.com.  he specializes in short bows in glass or all wood models.
"There is beauty and magic in a drawn bow."

Cade (SC)

Offline bushytail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 05:02:00 PM »
The Super Mag 48 is a good bow for people with a short draw.The horror stories i heard about with the bows breaking are largly due to long draws of over 28in. draw lenghts.Those short limbs can`t take all of that abuse.But they are fun to shoot.
Harold Wetzler

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 05:09:00 PM »
2Blade, the Kiowa looks like a nice little bow to me. Kustom King is a sponsor here too. Look up top, they offer a 5% internet discount, too. You could start a new thread to see if any of the gang has or has shot a Kiowa.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 05:20:00 PM »
I have several custom bows top of the line,but I love my Kodiak Mag,@29" it is smooth forgiving and whisper quiet.I get good groups out of 30ys,considering the average price for those bows they are a real bargain.Mine is 53@28" 1973.I get several other years but never tested yet
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2009, 05:43:00 PM »
Thanks guys well ive decided that you guys are right and I dont want to drop that kind of money for a bow that may not work for me. I will start a thread about the Kiowa thanks alot everyone!
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©