3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I hate Robin Hoods!  (Read 400 times)

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
I hate Robin Hoods!
« on: June 25, 2009, 12:20:00 AM »
I guess it was bound to happen. I've been shooting the Kanati so well lately it was just a matter of time. I built a new string and was testing it out. My third arrow made kind of a funny sound and something just didn't look right from 15 yards away. I had that sick feeling...again.

The tape wrap I put on may have made this one salvageable though. I'll know when I start peeling it off, but it looks like it held the cracking down to the back 1/2 inch or so.

I don't know why people are so thrilled with these things. For me it's just another lost arrow, and these were new shafts! Gotta start shooting one at  each dot   :knothead:
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: I hate Robin Hoods!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 01:17:00 AM »
Definitely a love-hate relationship.  :thumbsup:

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 07:49:00 AM »
Just pick different spots on the target.  I love Robinhoods when I'm shooting at someone else's arrow  :)   Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline hardtimes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 08:16:00 AM »
I only shoot one arrow at a time.  I like this approach because every shot is like a shot would be in the woods.  You are not in a rythem or making adjustments, every shot is new. I feel it is a better judge of how I am shooting also. I am new to this so it may or may not be a good habit, but it seems to work for me.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 11:18:00 AM »
Move back to 40 yards.   :bigsmyl:  

Then if you start making more Robin Hoods   :wavey:
Lon Scott

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 01:57:00 PM »
If the first arrow hit the bullseye then I'm ok with it. But if it was a off line and I Robinhooded it that would tick me off! "Muscle memory" on a bad shot is not good!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 11:27:00 PM »
I just shot my first robinhood with my new longbow.  I converted to trad after 20 years of compoud shooting.  I am totally excited to be shooting well enough after 1 month to have robinhooded a Easton FMJ 300.  That nock and shaft are tiny.  Lets just say sticking a a 200 grain field point in that small of a shaft makes for a very messy shaft end.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline kodiakkid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 05:18:00 PM »
It's really just an accident unless you're trying to robin hood an arrow.
Always strive to do the right thing. Don't beat yourself down when you mess up. Ask for forgivness and keep on keeping on.

Offline Toklat1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 05:45:00 PM »
I did one also while stumpin a couple of months ago. It was one of my initial POC shafts I bought a couple of years ago. I  shattered the nock and split the shaft right down the center.
It pissed me off!
Mark Griffin
USAF Retired
1981-2001

"When a Man comes to the mountains, He comes home." John Muir

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 11:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by Toklat1:
I did one also while stumpin a couple of months ago. It was one of my initial POC shafts I bought a couple of years ago. I  shattered the nock and split the shaft right down the center.
It pissed me off!
I know what you mean. I've done it with cedars too and they are a total loss. The time it takes to straighten, stain, crest, finish and fletch a cedar arrow really makes the RH annoying.

In this case, my Walmart reflective tape wrap saved me some money. It stopped the penetration of the other arrow at about 1/2". I cut that 1/2" off, took the 100 grain insert out of the front and put it where the nock had been, footed the new front of the shaft with 1-1/2" of aluminum shafting, put a new nock in the new tail end, and I'm waiting for the glue to dry on the fletchings right now. I'm making one mean stump thumper out of it! It looks kind of funny with all the writing and stuff toward the front end, but it'll help me find the stumper in my quiver easier.    :rolleyes:  The arrow is a bit stiffer, but the added weight of the footing seemed to make up for it. It bare shafted just fine, so I'm fletching it up!
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©