3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Steve Gorr's "Bowhunting Reflections"  (Read 1015 times)

Offline schlaggerman

• Trad Bowhunter
Steve Gorr's "Bowhunting Reflections"
« on: June 26, 2009, 12:18:00 PM »
Just watched Steve Gorr's new video "Bowhunting Reflections" last night. What a GREAT video, one of the best traditional bowhunting videos I've ever seen. It has some of the best up close and personal bowhunting shots I've seen. Steve has been and still is one of the best barebow shooters of all time, probably the best most have never heard of. This is evident in the shot sequences in the video as his arrow placement couldn't be better if you had walked up to the animal and stuck the arrow in by hand. As always Steve has that rock solid bow arm working for him. The format is somewhat similar to Primal Dreams but with far more hunting, stalking, and harvest scenes in it. In my opinion $20.00 well spent.

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Steve Gorr's "Bowhunting Reflections"
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 03:03:00 PM »
Where did you order it from?
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline granpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 04:15:00 PM »
you can get it on Steve's site, he is a sponsor here.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 05:19:00 PM »
Lon Scott

Offline pete p

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 03:22:00 PM »
i have heard form several guys that this is the best trad hunting video hands down.  havent seen it yet, going to order one though

Offline lilbobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 09:04:00 PM »
Well, I just ordered it, looking forward to seeing it.
Conny

Offline cch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 10:59:00 PM »
Watching Steve stalk and shoot a mule deer in the cat tails is worth the 20 bucks and everything else is just a bonus. You will enjoy it.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 04:38:00 PM »
I bought my copy of this DVD yesterday from Mike at the Nocking Point at our United Bowhunters of Missouri Rendezvous.

I've not finished watching the entire movie, but this is for sure a "keeper".. Great traditional bowhunting and fellowship..  Money well spent.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 07:30:00 PM »
Yes this is a very good video ... fire side chat with good hunting content. Lots of great animal footage. I have shot with Steve a few times and he is a great shot and a real character.
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 04:49:00 AM »
I finished watching the DVD last night... The buck in the cattails is one of the best bowhunting scenes I've ever watched.. Great bowhunting!!  One of the best in my collection.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 10:07:00 AM »
Great DVD! My only complaint is that you can not skip chapters in it! If you try and skip it and skips the whole DVD! Definalty worth watching!
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline cch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 08:51:00 AM »
If he does a second run I will see if he can add the chapters. Thanks.

Offline dakota tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 11:46:00 AM »
:notworthy:

Hey Chris-

Great job on this DVD!!!  It's my new favorite for sure!  You've succeeded in capturing the spirit of traditional hunting.

I highly recommend this DVD!

:campfire:    :archer:    :coffee:
What was big was not the antlers, but the chance. What was full was not the meatpole but the memory of the hunt.    --Aldo Leopold

Offline TexasTrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 01:22:00 PM »
I watched the first part of this video last night.  I agree that this is a very good video with some very helpful hints as well.

The thing that I cound'nt get over is how close his shots were especially the first mule deer out of the blind and the elk.  It looked like the mule deer was less than 5 yards and the elk about 10 yards.

Offline B M A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 01:22:00 PM »
This is one of the Best DVD's out there.  Worth the money.  Steve Gorr, Fred Anderson and Chris Hill do a fantastic job through out the whole DVD.  
And don't forget out fellow Tradganger Lon Scott aka Blackhawk did a great job on part of the footage shot.
 www.cascadebow.com

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2009, 02:11:00 PM »
IMHO this is the best of the best--totally absorbing. More to come, I hope.

Offline cch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2009, 05:51:00 PM »
Some of the shots look closer than they are I think from camera magnification. I think Steve told me the elk was something like 20 - 25 yds. And yes that first muley is very close. Steve told me that he has seen a buck poke his head in the window and get back out without getting his antlers stuck. I don't remember if he was in it or not but ground blinds do work.

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2009, 06:48:00 PM »
For those of you who don't have a copy of the video yet, I wrote a magazine review you might find of use:

Bowhunting Reflections — The Joy of Archery
By Rik Hinton

At a small campsite on the Olympic Peninsula, two freshly bowshot grouse slowly drip and sizzle on a wooden spit over a small campfire as Fred Anderson and Steve Gorr share a lifetime of insights, hunting tips, and great bowhunts.

As the opening credits say: “Rabbits and squirrels beware: Two pre-teen boys are off to the hunt. During the mid 1950s, Fred Anderson and Steve Gorr began to scratch the surface of a sport that has lasted them a lifetime. Join them now around the campfire on a recent bowhunt for Blacktail as they reminisce about their life-long passion: shooting the bow and arrow.”

From bowhunts for blacktail, mule deer, pronghorn, elk, and grouse; to eland, wildebeest, gemsbok, and even more mule deer and elk, this video has it all—excellent wildlife footage, great music, and hunting wisdom passed on by two guys who’ve spent most of their lives hunting with the bow.

Bowhunting Reflections does something quite rare, it presents bowhunting as it truly is; beautiful, challenging, and always interesting. This video has a touch of class, showing bowhunting at its best. It is filmed with respect and honesty that will be enjoyed by hunters and non hunters alike.

It’s refreshing to see a video showing hunting through the eyes of seasoned, long-time bowmen. Their perspective is deep, and the camera captures their wisdom, humor, and hunting skill with perfect clarity during many great hunts.

This DVD is sure to find a treasured place among your all-time-favorite hunting films. You will watch it over and over just for the wildlife footage alone. Bowhunting Reflections is destined to become a classic, and will help many bowhunters “get it.” You will too after you’ve watched bowhunting Reflections.

Order yours today from:
Cascade Archery
12930 NE 228th St.,
Arlington, WA 98223
Tel: 360-435-4251
Fax: 360-435-4251
 www.cascadebow.com

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2009, 08:18:00 PM »
Well put Rik , Yes its nice to see Steve and Fred putting this together, the good times as well as long respected friendship shines through on this movie.

Offline cch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2009, 08:36:00 AM »
Nice review Rik, What magazine is that going to be it?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©