3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Good Hunting Boot?  (Read 647 times)

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
Good Hunting Boot?
« on: June 27, 2009, 11:36:00 AM »
I was wondering what you guy's recomend on a good hunting boot? I looked at rocky's,cabelas,irish setters etc...etc!! The rocky bearclaws look pretty good,they have a good heavy sole, but I was just curious to your recomendation's!! Thanks in advance, Jason

Offline newtotrad

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Good Hunting Boot?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 11:52:00 AM »
I wore a pair of Cabela's Ibex made by Meindl for about 7 years and hope to save up for a new pair soon.  These are built like stiff hiking boots and are great if you hunt in hilly and/or mountainous terrain.

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 12:05:00 PM »
I mainly hunt whitetails and whatever else that run the hills and hollars of southern IN. Jason

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 12:53:00 PM »
I used to swear by the LL Beans also.I recent years I have been using Schnees and they may be even better quality than my old LL Beans.They have them in uninsulated,insulated and felt liner versions.

Online snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 01:14:00 PM »
Depends on your hunting conditions really. Are you going to be hunting whitetails in the midwest or elk in the rockies or sheep in Alaska. Out here in Oregon we have ever weather condition from hot and dry to wet and cold. I love the Asolo 520. It is waterproof built tough and is comfortable even when carrying heavy loads. But they would be overkill if you are hunting whitetails in Indiana.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 01:18:00 PM »
Vibram soles may be good for rocky mountainous trips. If in mud you can count on them filling up heavy. Much prefer the gumshoe sole of the Bean Hunting Shoe hands down above the rest for any environment.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 02:58:00 PM »
I have athe Wolverine Bowhunter boot I picked up a couple of years ago. It has good insulation (thinsulate) and a soft rubber sole making for good stalking capability, scent avoidance, as well as comfort. Disadvantage is a low cut just below the ankle, so there is no ankle support, for backpacking or hiking in hills I would recommend a full length boot. I've had Irsh Setters that just seem to last 4ever.
Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 03:17:00 PM »
I liked my Meindl Ibex, but two pairs got destroyed on their first hunt because the soles ripped off like birthday cake.  Now am using the Meindly Alaskan Hikers for longer hunts, and the Danner Jackal un-insulated for day hunts and warm weather.

Both are great for what they are designed for.  I have hunted treestands in N. Georgia for all day sits in sub-freezing and with only regular socks I was ok.  Though I did use an old sock to hold a hot hands on the toe of them a few times!

Danner Pronghorns are good boots, also I wore my Lacrosse boots like the LL Beans for a decade before they got to flat on the bottom to get any traction.  I keep them in GA and wear them on hunt that involve short walks and long sits in cold weather.
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 03:41:00 PM »
If you put your money where your feet are, you'll be wearing Russell Moccasin boots. I like the south 40 bird hunters with a soft crepe sole.

Offline Bucksnort101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 03:56:00 PM »
I like my Danners, got two sets, one insulated pair for late fall, early winter and a pair of hikers I will use for Turkey hunting and early Deer season.
Both required no break in period and are very comfortable.
I had a pair of cheaper Cabela's insulated boots but had to bring them back as the tore into the upper part of my foot and made it painful to walk. I forget the name of the boots, but reviews showed others had problems with them as well. They have a great return policy if you try them and they don't work out.

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 06:08:00 PM »
Danners for me if i am going to be walking...muck boots in the swamps and standing...LL Bean or Schnee's  i have to put some kind of orthotic insole arch support in them if i will be wearing them all day...
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2009, 08:58:00 PM »
Boots are very important to me, as work all day, everyday day in them. Irish Setter Upland boot,comfort all day!!
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2009, 09:29:00 PM »
I found an evaluation here in TG in the "product reviews"  recomending Wolverine "Archers", they are a 8-10" or so boot. Soft "molded rubber sole", waterproof, insulated, very light and supply great traction. They have leather bottoms and camo nylon uppers and provide excellent ankle support. No real "break in period" as they feel good the minute you lace a pair on.

I was impressed with the evaluation enough to purchase a pair and so far am very happy with them.

I think regular retail is abot $150-160.  I was luck to get them during the closure sales [about $85.00] of one of our "Long Time" great sports and hunting stores [Joe's or G I Joes] here in the Vancouver WA- Portland OR area.

I highly recommend them to my "friends" here on TG. :wavey:
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2009, 10:46:00 PM »
I appreciate all the feedback! I'll sure check into the brands that have been mentioned, because I value the opinion of my fellow TGrs  :thumbsup:  Thanks,Jason

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2009, 01:36:00 PM »
I have been through alot of boots. I have owned the Rocky Bear Claw 3D I had to return 3 pair in a year because they leaked after 2-3 months. I now own IRISH SETTER ELK TRACKERS these by far have been the best hunting boot i have owned to date. They have great traction. They are comfortable for all day and they come in a couple different thinsulate weights and leather combinations. I work in them and hunt in them. So if you want a long lasting boot(only if you take care of them,AKA mink oil them once a month clean them periodically) they will last you along while. Plus the soles are replaceable because they have a welted sole.
Ohio Society of Traditional Archers #830

Tracey "TREE" Trickett 2 Pricly curves 3pc & pricly ash longbow won @ Great Ohio Rabbit Hunt

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2009, 06:51:00 PM »
Danner hands down
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Online ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2009, 07:28:00 PM »
I got a pair of Danner Pronghorns last spring and liked them so well that I went back and bought another pair. I used them last summer every other day carrying a backpack, then during elk season in Colo. and thru deer season in Kansas and I won't use anything else.   Ben
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2009, 10:58:00 PM »
If where talking about whitetail hunting ONLY RUBBER boots never wear leather.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2009, 12:35:00 AM »
Asolo TP 535; been wearing them for years.

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2009, 02:23:00 AM »
I have been wearing Danners since the first time I put my feet in them several yrs ago. Great boots with an exceptional customer service Dept...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©