3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Single bevel,4bl or 3 blade?  (Read 291 times)

Offline ks8674

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Single bevel,4bl or 3 blade?
« on: June 28, 2009, 12:17:00 AM »
I am going on an annual elk hunting trip this september. Last year was my first trip using a recurve, I used stinger 2 blades and didn't get a chance to see if they would perform or not. This year I am shooting a Bob lee @ 52# at my draw. I am using 550gr beman mfx arrow currently shooting about 170fps. My big question is if my setup is going to be enough to use a super sharp woodsman. I love the 3 blade idea and have used them on 3 elk with my compound before going trad, but, now I am concerned if I have enough bow to do the job. It would be super helpful to hear from anyone who has harvested an elk with a similar setup.
Thanks, Keith

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Single bevel,4bl or 3 blade?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 06:42:00 AM »
Keith, I wouldn't hesitate to use it. If you put it where it's supposed to be, you'll have two holes and a short blood trail with plenty of blood on the ground.....and a huge smile on your face!

I'm sure you'll hear about what happens if you hit heavy bone....you'll need an indestructible arrow, with special tips and only a couple cutting edges that will twist/smash thru anything that gets in it way...and there's no way you'll kill an elk without one......   :goldtooth:  

Get your Woodsman super sharp, and flying perfect and you'll be fine....but like I said, opinions will vary....   ;)
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 07:05:00 AM »
Opinions will vary - Curt's is a good one.

Steve

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 08:13:00 AM »
55LBS @ 27'' 26yrd shot 2117 tipped w/ 125gr snuffer.Buried to the fletching.

Offline DIAMONDBACK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 08:28:00 AM »
Keith,u will b fine with the woodsmen.I took an elk a few years ago,allmost xact set up as u.SHARP and SHOT PLACEMENT is the key.Good luck

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 08:56:00 AM »
curt's post sure does work for me.  ww's have killed just about everything worth killing.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline ks8674

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 09:51:00 AM »
Thanks a lot for the info guys! I have been using the file sharpening method followed by a fine arkansas stone then stroping on leather. They shave hair really easy and look pretty nasty too! Hope I get a chance to use one on an elk this season!

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 11:28:00 AM »
:thumbsup:     :thumbsup:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 12:47:00 AM »
"Sharp" and Shot Placement" is the 2 most inportent things. Your set up will work just fine as long as you have both of these covered...... As for broadhead type, well that Horse has been beaten to death.... To each his own......
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 08:07:00 AM »
As the majority has said, you will be just fine with your choice.
I echo DesertDude's sentiments exactly.

Shoot straight with confidence.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 11:07:00 PM »
Woodsman is good for elk.

I don't know what kind of Snuffer this little doe shoulder trashed, but this is what a 160g Snuffer on a 650g arrow shot out of a 55# (well, 60# at my draw) longbow looks like after going into a 1/2" steel plate...

It's the one in the middle   ;)

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 08:35:00 AM »
Originally posted by IronCreekArcher:
Check out the thread title "penetration and 2 blade vs 4 blade, single vs double bevel" by albertan...look at the second page (I think) the pictures of the doe in the snow...just some food for thought.
Let me clear the air a little since I shot that deer.  That Snuffer 160 was destroyed because it hit that deer (actually a buck that had dropped his horns) right on the ball where the leg and shoulder meet while he was walking. Probably one of the hardest places to hit a deer and recover it, yet... I recovered it. That Snuffer did so much damage to the shoulder and lung, that I was able to run that deer down and finish him. I can't say whether that Snuffer was damaged on impact or damaged when the deer ran off, but I'm inclined to think it was on impact simply because the crush angle matches the tip roll perfectly. I finished him with a Griz 190 because that's what I had left in my quiver. When I caught up with him, I let the excitement of the moment get to me and flung my other two Snuffers over and under. Then I got a hold of myself with one arrow left (Griz 190) and made it count.

The bottom line to this story is... I hit too far forward and the Snuffer still did its job.  That's all there is to it.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 11:49:00 PM »
Thanks for that clarification Tim.   :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 12:14:00 AM »
I think you have your answer from some experienced hunters that have REAL life experiences of killing animals.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©