3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: GREAT Hunting Practice!  (Read 701 times)

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
GREAT Hunting Practice!
« on: June 29, 2009, 12:35:00 PM »
Fall is coming fast and furious!  Guys will be hunting antelope in just over a month.  Elk will be bugling two months from now.  Deer seasons are right around the corner...

Do yourself a favor.  Go to a shoot.  A 3d shoot, a stump shoot, a jamboree.  Try to find a traditional shoot if you can.

This past weekend, my son and I went to the Michigan Traditional Bowhunters Jamboree.  The Jamboree has been held for as long as I can remember in Fred Bear's stomping grounds of Grayling, Michigan.

The Jamboree is my absolute favorite shoot!  You can shoot the canoe course, the 2D course, and the 3D course to your hearts content for $20 for the entire weekend.

There are a few shots set up for our local favorites; the whitetail deer.  As you can see, shots are setup so you can practice actual hunting situations...

My 10 year old, Daniel, gets GREAT pleasure shooting from the same stakes as the "old timers" and usually outshoots them!     :biglaugh:

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: GREAT Hunting Practice!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 12:39:00 PM »
This Black Bear shot was only 5 yards, but there was a lot of brush in the way...normally I'd wait for a little more unobstructed shot in the field, but here it was OK.

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 12:40:00 PM »
That is awesome Steve!!  Man I was so bummed I had to miss it this year.  Definatly one of my favorite shoots.  The hand painted 2D course is the high light of this shoot for me.  Always set up with realistic shots and very similar to picking a spot on the real animals.  Thanks for the report Steve!  Glad to see you and your son had a good time.

Tim
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 12:44:00 PM »
Daniel's favorite part of the shoot is that which is done from the canoe:

Offline Chester Thompson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 12:49:00 PM »
That looks like a fun weekend.
Ask me about CTO.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 12:50:00 PM »
Tim, yes, you were missed!  I did not run into a lot of fellas I thought would be there; but I missed quite a few that WERE there   :knothead:  

If anyone wants to visit Michigan and Fred Bear's home for so many years, this would be an excellent reason to do it.  The camping at the MTB Jamboree is fantastic...nice and quiet and lots of huge shade trees to set up camp in.  I don't have any pics though as we visit Great Grandma when we go; she is only 20 minutes away.

Compton being the w/e before would be an added bonus for someone wanting to get a LOT of preseason practice in...

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 12:54:00 PM »
Hanson Hills, where the Jamboree is held is a recreation area.  They have mountain biking trails, cross country ski trails in the winter and sledding, tubing and ski hills as well.  MTB uses one of the ski hills to set up Dall sheep and Mountain Goat targets for the adventurous:

There are six targets going up both sides of the trail.  It is steeper than it looks!

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 01:00:00 PM »
MTB thinks of those of us that dream of hunting far away places as well.

This bull moose was just ready to walk away about 30 yards out...

I picked up my new Talltines Recurve from Brian Wessel last weekend at Compton.  I just LOVE this bow!

Stay focused...don't worry about the teeth!

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 01:11:00 PM »
Imagine yourself on the other side of the world.  You are stalking along...

Your PH says, "Remember, the vitals are farther forward than you are used to...take the stallion in the triangle!"

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 01:16:00 PM »
I am always tickled to death when my son outshoots me...

I sure hope he sticks with it and hunting is something we can do together for a lifetime.  My Dad does not hunt or fish and I've taught myself pretty much to do everything.  Daniel will have such an advantage from my 30 years of mistakes!

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 01:25:00 PM »
Steve- Nice job with the photos. Daniel has great focus and form. I hope he sticks with it. Nice looking bow. I will get one some day. Mike

Offline mparks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 02:01:00 PM »
Steve, I should be there Thursday.  I'm kind of a one bow guy and a real tough sale so we'll see.  I was trying to get my wife to look at how nice Daniels JVO is in hopes she would approve funds for one but it doesn't look good!

As for the boys sticking with it, I figure all we can do is show them the things we enjoy about the sport and hope they do too.  My Dad was absolutly nuts over coon hunting when I was a kid.  I spent a lot of time around hounds and had a lot of fun with it but it was just not my passion like deer hunting is.  I still hunt with him a few times a year and I'll make sure my boys get to go on some summer training runs.  Zane is quite a dog lover so he might catch the bug and want a bluetick pup.  A new custom bow is pretty cheap compared to a Dave Dean Hammer-bred bluetick pup and a life time of dog food and vet visits!  Kind of the Habu of blueticks.

Offline waiting4fall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 02:01:00 PM »
Awesome art work, & great shooting!!!   :thumbsup:      :clapper:

Offline oneshot-onekill

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 03:04:00 PM »
Steve....that looks like an awesome shoot....and I like that big smile on your son's face. Should be good memories for many years to come. Also that bow is sweet....does Brian have a web page?
Proverbs 16:9
TGMM Family of the Bow

Terry Barker

Offline saltwatertom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2009, 03:10:00 PM »
Way cool Steve, I am envious. I've only ever gone on one 3D shoot, but this one looks like it can't be beat. My dad didn't hunt either and I had to teach myself alot of what I know. BTW, if you ever want to adopt an older child let me know, I'll put in my application, lol  :D  
Your boy is luckly, and a  good shot!      :clapper:  

Also , thanks for the tip on the nocks.
"There is always luck about, for those willing to look for it"

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2009, 04:14:00 PM »
Now that looks like a great way to spend the day. Your boy is a heckuva shot.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2009, 05:09:00 PM »
Great shooting! I'm a solid believer in stumpshooting w/judos to get various distance & configured shots. Those 3d targets look real enough also. I've never shot 3d. Do they have distance markers or do you wing it?
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2009, 05:10:00 PM »
Terry Barker...Brian has a guy working on a website right now.  Best way right now to get him is to PM him here; TallTines.  Or you can PM me and I canget you to him.

I do know he is on vacation right now so may be tough to get a hold of.  I also know that when he gets back he is going to be talking to Terry about becoming a sponsor on Trad Gang.

Offline mlmealey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2009, 06:28:00 PM »
Hi Steve, AWESOME i love seeing those pictures it brings back memorys of my son Todd and my self. Todd killed his first Black Bear when he was 12 with a Jerry Hill 46# longbow wood arrow and Bear razor head, he'll be 40 this December it goes by way to fast my friend.
Great pictures tell Daniel to keep up the good work.

Talk to soon my friend,
IBA life member
PBS regular member
Compton TB member

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2009, 06:50:00 PM »
You don't need a shooting class Steve.  Just watch Daniel and try to duplicate his form.  :readit:  
That boy has got it going on!  :thumbsup:  
Looks like you had a great time!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©