3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting Rutting Whitetails, One Mans Whitetail  (Read 264 times)

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting Rutting Whitetails, One Mans Whitetail
« on: June 29, 2009, 03:28:00 PM »
I've read these two books by Gene Wensel so many times over the last 15 years that I have pretty much got them memorized.  But still, every year about this time, I start reading them again.  I mean they are just classics.  I love to sit out on the porch dreaming about the upcoming deer season and reading these books.  I love to picture myself living in Montana and hunting river bottom whitetails with Gene and Barry.  I feel like I'm reliving the past, even though I was not there!

Offline WestTnMan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting Rutting Whitetails, One Mans Whitetail
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 03:45:00 PM »
I wish I could find an affordable copy of those books. I have Come November and was reading it again last night. Good stuff. Gene, why not just photo copy it and sell those instead of reprinting them. I want a copy !!!!!
Gen 27:3 "Take your hunting gear, your quiver and bow, and go out into the field to hunt some game for me."

Offline IronCreekArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 04:51:00 PM »
Great picks my friend...they are both right next to my bible whats that tell ya?
We do not rise to the occasion.  We fall to our level of training.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 05:01:00 PM »
Jon,

Did you know  BOTH Gene and Barry are in the process of writing new books?  Gene's is all about what he has learned in the past 20 years since the last book.  Barry's book is chocked FULL of adventure stories from his life chasing animals all over the world.  I've been lucky enough to see much of both books and they are going to be GREAT!  

As the boys would say; stay tuned...

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 05:35:00 PM »
Cant wait for the new books... Gene said there will be a lot of old photos included in this latest work. Sure it will be another classic.  

Hey Terry not sure if you are a PBS member or not, but I am pretty sure they have a copy in the PBS library that you can check out to read.  

Where have you been Jon?  Did you make it out to MO to hunt turkey's?
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 05:50:00 PM »
Steve O, yes Gene told me that a little while ago.  I simply cannot wait to get my hands on each of them!

Rob, how ya been man?  No I did not make it to MO.  Went hog hunting with Ray Hammond and have been extremely busy with work and wedding plans.  But it has been hard for me to ignore the fact that deer season is really just around the corner now!

Offline pete p

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 06:47:00 PM »
I first read HRW when i was 16 in study hall. im 35 now and have re-read it many many times.  unlike so much of the "how to" garbage being published in hunting magazines, the Wensel books exemplified the one on one pursuit of mature whitetails using trad gear.  the books really keyed in on attitude and philosophy rather than how to gimmicks that many outdoor writters use to sell articles.  all time classics!

Online huckbuck

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 07:57:00 PM »
I've listed an extra copy I had of Hunting Rutting
Whitetails here in the classifides.  Can't wait
for the new books to come off the press.

Offline adirondack46r

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 08:47:00 PM »
I had a copy of HRW a long time ago. I remember reading it really close until I got to the part where Gene "concentrated" to make a deer show up at a specific time. He kind of lost me there. Nevertheless, pretty entertaining.

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 09:55:00 PM »
Did any of you get to hunt with Gene and Berry when they were guiding?Jon did you have any luck with the turkeys?
Bill

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 11:08:00 PM »
Hey Bill.  I have had the privelege to hunt with both of them at one of their "pig gigs"  It was one of the highlights of my bowhunting career.  They are great fun.  I even tried recently to get them to adopt me but I think they feel I am too old or something!  
No luck with the turkeys.  Called one nearly into range but could not close the deal.  Maybe next year.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 11:09:00 PM »
Pete, judging by the bucks you have killed, you really learned something from Genes books.  I don't think I know anyone at your young age with the success you have had!  UNREAL!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©