3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Mule deer, open country, and trad bows  (Read 549 times)

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Mule deer, open country, and trad bows
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2009, 08:38:00 AM »
Right on, larryh. The distance you shoot should be based on personal skill and experience, not on what other people think you should do.

I practice long shots while roving, which for me is 40-50 yards. I don't know that I'll shoot a deer that far, but practicing and learning to hit at longer range gives me the confidence to take a longer shot if it's appropriate for the situation and I have the confidence to do it at the moment. Sometimes after the shot I'm surprised when I pace it off and realize how far the animal was. Yardage is not the only factor in deciding whether to shoot.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline rascal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2009, 09:18:00 AM »
I met a fella a couple of years ago that WAS a trad guy on all of his Elk hunts, he went with Wheelie guys every year.  It finally got the best of him and he said he couldnt take another year of missed opportunities with his recurve so he switched back to compounds.  Cant say I begrudge him the switch really if thats what he felt he needed to do to make his hunts more enjoyable.  I personally find more enjoyment in the hunt than the kill, Ive gone years between kills just because I havent gotten what I feel is a perfect shot opportunity.  Im likely to let fly one or two arrows a year at deer, but thats what I find enjoyable.  You gotta follow what makes you happy otherwise theres no point in going out, just find out what really makes you happy.
Hunt fair, hunt hard, no regrets.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2009, 09:32:00 AM »
rascal, it can work the other way too. I've been on hunts with compounders when I was the only one who killed, with my longbow. It all goes back to the skill of the individual.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline goosespirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2009, 11:52:00 AM »
Thanks guys, great info.  I think you are right, to focus on the experience and not the kill  Mike

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2009, 02:33:00 PM »
I guess it comes down to "what is important to you the hunt or the kill". It is easier on the outfitter if you will take shots at 40 plus yards. They don't have to work as hard.

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2009, 03:26:00 PM »
Open country is kind of a relative term, this is open, yet turned on it's side.

The hunter is at the arrow, the bucks are in the circle.

So, as has been said, it's what every you want.
 , for me, I'd rather shoot it with a gun, than with a compound thing.

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2009, 03:49:00 PM »
You can do it with a longbow.  I killed a velvet racked muledeer buck in Alberta a few years ago.  He was bedded a half mile away in a big flat alfalfa hay field.  I used the big round bales and wind to my advantage.  I stalked within 12 yards before he stood up and took my arrow, all caught on video.   For those times you are unable to get that 12 yard shot with some work you can increase your comfort level with longer shots.  In some situation a 40 unobstructed shot at a resting muley may not be unthinkable.  I practice for those kind of shots and have killed a few critters at that range.

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2009, 01:02:00 AM »
Last year I made the choice to return back to traditional gear. Because after years of hunting mule deer my biggest deer were all killed at close range(20 and under).And when I had hunted with traditional it seened that I had more quality shoots that with compounds.With traditional gear it makes you spend the time on woodmanship skills and not on tech equipment.My old recurve and long bow have killed just as many animals as any of my compounds.If you spend the time on getting goods shoots they will come.If you only try to get in "range"( 40 to 60 yards) thats what you will get.And if you you do not get a close shoot,I am sure you will have a hartbeating experence that will last for years.

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2009, 08:14:00 AM »
twitchstick  I was just thinking that if you take 40-45 yard shots, you'll never get 20 yard shots

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©