3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear tag success  (Read 296 times)

Offline DJP

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear tag success
« on: June 29, 2009, 08:45:00 PM »
I just found out this morning I drew a Michigan bear tag and I am pumped, I have 6 years of preference points going into this hunt. Has anyone got some advice for me?
-Dan

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear tag success
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 09:41:00 PM »
What unit? and what dates?
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Bmac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 06:02:00 AM »
Congrats Dan!  

I drew the Red Oak unit.  The dates are Sept.18-24 and Archery Only Oct. 2-8.  

No advice as it will be my first time going after bear.

Offline JavelinaHink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 08:36:00 AM »
I drew the same Red Oak and same time,
Will be using 200 gr.Prototype Lightning 4 Broadheads I'm making behind some Sweetland BattleShafts shot from a 59 Kodiak..Looking forward to it . I've tried for 8 yr. in Baldwin area and couldn't draw one.....Hink   :archer:
A TRUE FRIEND ALWAYS THINKS YOU ARE A GOOD EGG EVEN IF YOU ARE SLIGHTLY CRACKED.

Offline JSimon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 09:17:00 AM »
Congrats! I've been accumulating preference points and hope to apply for an tag in two years. Are you guys doing it yourself, going through an outfitter, or having somone bait sites for you, etc?

It would be very satisfying to do everything myself, but living in the lower third of the LP, I don't think it would be economical to drive to the UP once a week for several weeks to establish bait sites - especially since I'm not familiar with the UP at all.

If you guys are going with an outfitter of some sort, I would love to know their names and and if you have had good experiences with them.

Offline saltwatertom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 10:11:00 AM »
Pick a point!
"There is always luck about, for those willing to look for it"

Offline JavelinaHink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 12:02:00 PM »
I'm setting up my own and I have a buddy that's retired and has a cabin there that will keep it fresh....Hink..   :archer:
A TRUE FRIEND ALWAYS THINKS YOU ARE A GOOD EGG EVEN IF YOU ARE SLIGHTLY CRACKED.

Offline DJP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 05:54:00 PM »
I drew a tag in Red Oak. Let me know if I am reading the rules correctly for 2009, the first day of the hunt, no dogs allowed, the last two days, only dogs are allowed? So for the September hunt period I can not bow hunt over bait on the 23rd and 24th? The rules clearly say that you can’t use barrels on public land, do you think can use them on private?
Hink, I have access to several areas with lots of bears in the Baldwin area, but I could not get a tag either. I spoke to someone at the DNR that said it would take 9 points minimum to draw that tag, also I think they only are issuing 60 tags this year.

Offline Mike VanBuren

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 10:39:00 PM »
I applied for a point in the Amasa unit. My cousin lives there and wants to set me up. He got a nice one two years ago with a longbow. Good luck!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©