3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: One With the Wilderness...  (Read 309 times)

Offline Vabowman

• Trad Bowhunter
One With the Wilderness...
« on: June 30, 2009, 09:21:00 AM »
I have read about half of the book so far, and I have to say it is everything you guys said it was. Great read. I feel like I know Mike as a friend. I have never met him, but it's guys like Mike and Schaffer and the Wensels that have my respect. Im a compound shooter of 20 yrs and will likely be one for a while, but I am trying to find the right Traditional Bow for me and begin shooting this summer...I have always respected and quite frankly, said that Traditional shooting and hunting is by far the greatest of all hunting challenges. It is the purest form of archery hands down, and I can't hit the side of the barn with one but I sure do enjoy shooting one.
Wanna be for now.

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: One With the Wilderness...
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 11:55:00 AM »
Vabowman- Thank you for your comments. I hope you continue with the challenges of traditional bowhunting and find the reward in your efforts. I’m thankful your journey has connected with mine. Mike

Offline Vabowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 12:04:00 PM »
Well thank you sir. I have really enjoyed your stories....a man can't make stuff up that good! I really enjoyed your stuff on whitetail hunting, I was not expecting the treat of some of your how to's.. I just began ch 13 I can't wait to read what happens. Job well done!
Wanna be for now.

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 12:51:00 PM »
I was the lucky winner of a signed copy at Comptons, plus was able to spend a little time with Mike at his booth.

Thanks Mike for signing the copy again and for the poster for Adam.

I started reading it on Sunday night and am enjoying it alot. I am not one to read many books more than once, but this is one I'll read multiple times.

Excellent!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 01:21:00 PM »
You aren't kidding about the how-to tips.  I brought in this 5 1/2 year old buck on my very first try of the "Puppet Fighting" technique!

THANKS MIKE!

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 02:26:00 PM »
Vabowman- If you are on chapter 13, then you have reached the core and main points of this book. You will soon reach a chapter called "Thirteen Days of Nocked Arrows". This chapter I wrote for myself, and it really was an attempt to redefine my own definition of success. Even though my ultimate goal of the hunt was dangled in front of me on a daily basis, I found reward in my relentless effort and in my “failures.”

4runr- That poster has a copy of the "It Can't Be Bought" poem I wrote for the ending of Primal Dreams. I hope it takes on a new meaning for Adam as he gets a chance to read it alone some time away from the images we presented in the film. There are chapters in the book where I discuss my meaning of the poem as well as what Primal Dreams has meant and done for us.

Steve- Yes I remember you sending me a text message with that bucks picture and your smiling face. I can’t get over how well the technique worked for you and how big that buck’s neck was. Stay tuned to the next issue (Oct/Nov) of TBM.
Mike

Offline Vabowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 04:59:00 PM »
I see exactly what the core of this book is Mike. I get it and I subscribe to it brother. It is not about the kill as many think it is ....Kills are just icing on the cake. I have only hunted Whitetails in my life and I have taken upwards of 80-90 with bow/shotgun and I have taken good ones over the years, but as I turn 34 this summer, I enjoy the whole spiritual side of hunting more than ever. The kill is great and the mature bucks on the wall are wonderful, but I have to say, and some may think Im crazy, but not killing that buck you have your eye on can be the best thing for your soul as a bowhunter....know what I mean?
Wanna be for now.

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 07:02:00 PM »
Sounds like you got it bad! Ha! :>)  Take Care. Mike

Offline Vabowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 09:32:00 PM »
I got it really bad Mike...I love it now as much as I did, or even more than I did 20 yrs ago..Im completely ate up with nature,hunting and wildlife. It's been a way of life for me since I was about 7 yrs old. Reading your stories feed my soul and give me a fix until I climb back in the tree in Oct. Being a school teacher I have my summers off and in between fixing lunch and walks in the woods with the kids and bass fishing, I read this book. It connects me to your life and others like you. I will likely never get to experience a 1/4 of what you have, but I can still appreciate it..thanks for your hard work, happy hunting and take care!
Wanna be for now.

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 10:00:00 PM »
One of my greatest reads of all time was Fred Bears Field Notes. It took me back to my  boyhood watching Fred on the american sportsman and running out afterwards and shooting my little sears recurve dreaming of the day I would head north to the solitude of the Yukon or Alaska to hunt the majestic moose.Mikes book has had the same effect. My biggest disapoitment was when I had finished it.Its been 45 years since that little green recurve but the passion hasn't diminshed one bit and now with this new ressurgance from Mike I am going to make the trip.I thank you Mike and I'm sure thousands more feel the same.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©