3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: is there a 'bush mechanics' way of testing the hardness of steel?  (Read 467 times)

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
a friend is getting me some spring steel that i want to make into trade points. is there a 'bush mechanics' (i love using those two words together    :cool:      :cool:  ) way of testing the rockwell hardness of steel of unknown quality?
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: is there a 'bush mechanics' way of testing the hardness of steel?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 07:18:00 PM »
I believe there is only one way to know the Rockwell of a steel.

As far as blades, a lot of old school knife makers spoke of "hard enough that a new file will just barely bite in".

Eric

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 08:08:00 PM »
If a file "skates across with no bite its rc 60 or harder. If you can file sharpen it is most likely 54rc or softer. I was a toolmaker for 38 years and have flame hardened all kinds of sutff.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 09:37:00 PM »
I believe there are a set of files specifically to do what your after. You lightly slide each file over the metal till one starts taking grip. Not sure of the price though.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 07:18:00 AM »
also, harder steel has a sharper "ring" when tapped with a hammer
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 07:28:00 AM »
Don't different hardnesses emit different types of spark patterns, when one grinds a steel with a bench grinder?

Oz, you'd need a currant bush for running a bench grinder out in the boonies though...  :D
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 07:35:00 AM »
Spark pattern is also carbon related., more carbon finer spark.
Ron has it right.. I'll add that a file will bite pretty good up to 48 approx. above that the bite is considerably less, but it will still cut.. and as he said over 54-55 the file will just slide over it.
From another old tool maker.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 11:37:00 AM »
You tool guys... How much difference does the condition of the file make?  I like to keep my files in pretty darned good shape but I've seen plenty of files in tool boxes and on work benches that looked awfully worn out.  I'd guess you are strictly talking about using new or "as new" condition files????
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 08:17:00 PM »
Hi there,  

I am a bladesmith and the best way to test for high or low carbon content in the field is to heat the end of a piece to nonmagnetic, quench it in oil or water and then hit it with a hammer or hard rock.  High carbon steel will break off easily and have very small grain ( as in to small to see ).  Spring steel is most often in the 60 carbon series.  I would guess that it might be 5160.  One thing if it is an old spring steel from a car spring it may well have a bunch of micro cracks that will show up when you try to forge a knife out of it.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©