3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stuffing Carbons  (Read 365 times)

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
Stuffing Carbons
« on: July 04, 2009, 07:09:00 AM »
Well, I finally crossed the line.. {In my mind anyway} and bought 3 dz Gold tipps to go along with my new set of 45# BW limbs. They come out to be about 10.5 grains per pound. But I would really like to bump them up another 50-80 grains. ...Been tinkering with weedeater line but I can hear them raddel in my quiver... Even used the heavy line and some elec. tap... still can hear it. ....What do you guys use to add weight??? Really dont want to load up the front cause they are shooting so well and I got them the length I want them as well as the point weight.
Fatherhood is the greatest adventure a man can ever take.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stuffing Carbons
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 07:28:00 AM »
When I first started messing around with carbon I tried weed whacker string, it was just too noisy, and it would make my nocks pop off all the time. Instead I started loading up the point, this seems to work the best, I shoot a Titan with GT3555's 50 grain brass insert cut to 29.25" with a 145 grain point. They weigh in at 475 grains. I have been messing around with an internal footing, by gluing 1/4 inch wood dowel cut to 1.5 in the point end as well. This has added around 15 grains. Stuffing them works but for the heck of it mess around with FOC.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 07:50:00 AM »
I just use 3 gpi weight tubes,will add around 80-90 grs. depending on the length and don't rattle.But 10.5 grs. per pound is pretty good,I like to shoot 9-11 grs. per pound.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 08:23:00 AM »
I've tried everything to get my carbons heavier. If you must use the week whacker line I solved the problem of noise by simply making kinks in the line about every 4 to 6 inches apart. The kinks make the line actually press against the shaft and your noise will disappear. Make them pretty severe. However, weedwhacker line and other "stuffings" have idiocyncracies that made it less that ideal. The final solution for me was to go with heavier points or as some refer to it as heavier FOC. It eliminates all the fuss about using and finding other materials that create other issues. Plus you get the added advantage of a hunting arrow that will improve in penetration capability. The ONLY drawback is that you may have to experiment to find the correct spined shaft and a decent broadhead weight (lots of ways to achieve that) but in the end you will have the best solution, IMO.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 08:38:00 AM »
I tried the wheedeater line, and weight tubes---didn't like any of them. I've found that point weight and brass inserts work the best IMO.
My CX Heritages weigh in at 610 gr.: using 100gr. brass insert and 150gr. points.....

Ben
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline Trooper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 08:50:00 AM »
I use electrical wire rubber insulation. I pull out the wire part and use the rubber coating.  If I really want to add a lot of weight then I'll leave the wire in.  I found a roll at Wal Mart cheap. I just shove it in and cut it even with the end of the arrow.  When I put the nock in I have to push a little hard but because it is full length of the arrow and shoved against the nock keeps it from moving.
It's not what you kill but how you hunt...

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 08:59:00 AM »
Small diameter Poly Rope, Quiet ... Good Luck ...

Offline Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 10:23:00 AM »
You can use fish aquarium tubing, but you may still have trouble with nocks popping off once in awhile.  You can get a threaded nock adapter for the GT's and add weight to the nock and point ends, so you can regulate the spine, or as suggested above, go to a stiffer shaft (or cut the one you have back to stiffen it) and front load it.

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009, 10:37:00 AM »
3/16 clothesline rope works great. It's quiet, cheap and if you burn the ends before you insert them you can pack them in the front with a small dowel or gun cleaning rod and really boost your FOC and it doesn't move.
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

"BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW"

Offline tiur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2009, 11:33:00 AM »
Take a note of  stone knife comment, nocks popping out. I did have nylon rope in mine and the same problem, On impact the rope travels backwards and this will reduce penetration, hang weight at front.
ASL

Offline 2Knives

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2009, 12:56:00 PM »
I also had the problem with weedeater line rattling. Something I tried 3 days ago....speaker wire!
I had a couple rolls of cheap speaker wire in the shop, cut some to length, and stuffed in the Gold Tips.
I put my inserts in and just got them fletched yesterday. I only shot 2 of them before I had to leave for a Bar-B-Q but so far....they work great!!!
I'll get more practice with them today, a bunch of us are doing some shooting today at a Bar-B-Q.
Speaker wire is pretty cheap also.
Lets keep the good ideas flowing.
USAF AMMO Retired

Shoot True!!!
Don't Squat with your Spurs on!

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2009, 03:11:00 PM »
If you use the cotton clothes line rope it won't bounce back and burning the ends will make them just a bit bigger than the I.D. of the shaft so the stay in place.
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

"BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW"

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2009, 07:38:00 PM »
I have uesd 3/16 dia. rope with good results.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Choctaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2009, 07:44:00 PM »
I have not tried it but I have heard of people using black pepper to load the shaft. You could fill the whole tube or measure out the weight you want with a grain scale. Pack the pepper down with a small dowel that closely fits to the ID of your arrow.

If you don't want to fill the arrow completely you can keep the weight forward with a small piece of cotton soaked in super glue gel. I would make sure the dowel I used to pack the cotton in with was very smooth and give it a twist to make sure the cotton stays in place. I wouldn't use the quick drying super glue unless I was very sure I could get the dowel out quickly enough.

Choctaw

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2009, 05:35:00 AM »
I use the 3/16 poly rope and it seems to d a good job. Does not move and seem not to change the spine of the arrow.

I have my 500 spine arrows now are at 460 grains to 475 grains. this made up for my 50 lb checkmate bow, arrows are cut to 29 1/4 and fletched with 3 5.5 feathers and 125 gr field point or BH...

Bill
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2009, 06:11:00 AM »
Bill that comes out to about 9.5 grain per #... Is that the arrow that you hunt with???? I like mine about 11-13 grain per #... and with me switching to ultra lite tackel (lol) I really want to stay on the heavey side....

Offline pcappy08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2009, 09:24:00 PM »
i use the 5gpi weight tubes along with the brass inserts and love em they really bump the weight up are quiet and hit like a ton of bricks
Great Northern Super Ghost
56" 60lbs @ 29"
Morrison Cheyenne
62lbs @ 29"

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2009, 09:34:00 PM »
i was thinkin of using the weight tubes... but they cost so much..

Offline Jesse Peltan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2009, 11:46:00 PM »
How about a 1/4in hardwood dowel. You will also increase point weight due to spine weight increase.

Offline champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2009, 06:49:00 AM »
Ive got a couple boxes of the wt. tubes you can have. If you want them just pm me your address. Its a box of yellow(3 gns/in) and box of white(7-8 gns/in..?). I dont care for my arrows being over 10 gns/lb, and these wt tubes always put me over that. Either way , good luck. Shane
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©