3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who has spent time in single pole tents?  (Read 950 times)

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
Who has spent time in single pole tents?
« on: July 04, 2009, 06:27:00 PM »
I'm in need of a good tent for an upcoming hunt, I'm looking for input from guys who have spent some time in a single pole tent like Whip sells. I'd be especially interested in how they compare to a wall tent...amout of room, ease of set up, how much weather they can take ect.

thanks, larry

Offline Capn Yos

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who has spent time in single pole tents?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 07:14:00 PM »
I've had a Mountainsmith (now Kifaru) 4 man for about 18 years now. It's still holding up well. I've used it a lot for both backpacking and horsepacking. I have the woodstove for it for when it's cold. Very comfortable and lots of room. Holds up in the wind when others with me collapsed. If (when) this one ever gives up, I'll be buying another from Kifaru. They're pricey, but you definitely get what you pay for.

Offline No-sage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 08:08:00 PM »
I've spent my 2 week hunting vacation in one of these several times.

Very comfortable, roomy enough for 2 men and all their gear, with a stove and table inside.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 09:13:00 PM »
I, too, have a Kifaru -- 6-man.  Haven't used it a lot yet, but performed very nicely on a North Dakota mule deer hunt last year, taking a lot of wind.  If you're planning to pack in, that's the way to go.  it's very light and compact.  Set up and take down is fast and easy.  Mine comes with a jointed Aluminum center pole.  But to save on weight when I pack in, I leave it in the truck and cut a pole when I get where I'm going.  Any tepee style will generally be better in the wind and snow than rectangular or dome structures.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 09:15:00 PM »
I've spent some time in Whip's tent and can tell you it is sweet. Very roomy and with the winds it withstood on our last trip, I'd say it was bombproof.

The storm that hit us struck havoc with the rest of the camp. That includes a rather heavy and large pop up camper parked nearby... turned it a complete 180 degrees.

For a while we had the whole camp in the tent with us. Standing room only but not that bad.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 09:36:00 PM »
Charlie,

Was it a Panther?

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 10:23:00 PM »
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 10:37:00 PM »
Jim... whatever brand it is that Joe is a dealer for now. Check the link above.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009, 10:47:00 PM »
I have the same tent as no sage its great in any weather, you wont be sorry.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 01:10:00 AM »
If weight matters, take a look at  www.tarptent.com  they make some slick backpacking stuff.I like the new Hogback 4 man they just came out with. At 4 pounds it would be nice for long hikes. The Cloudburst 2 at just 2.4 pounds would be even better.

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2009, 02:17:00 AM »
I have a couple of Kifaru tents.  They are awesome, light warm and spacious.  The 8-man (below) sounds about right for you, if your packing It would be hard to beat the paratipi IMO!  

77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2009, 03:03:00 AM »
What Charlie said. I was on that trip and staying in the other Tepee of Whip's. It's design allowed it to hold up under unbelievable winds!
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline NightHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2009, 04:51:00 AM »
I've had a couple. I have the outback lodge from cabellas and I have one from panther primatives.
 The small sibley tent (panther) doesn't seem to have much space in it and definitly isn't a tent that could be backpacked.
1) Gen. 21:20
And God was with the lad, he grew, and he dwelt in the wilderness, and he became an archer
2)The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline smiley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2009, 08:00:00 AM »
I have stayed in several.Easy to put up.The pole in the middle does't get in the way can hang mirrors on it if you brave enough to look at yourself. I have a canvas tipi and its take a lot longer to put up and take down
Wayne A Hoffman

Offline Bryan Burkhardt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2009, 08:12:00 AM »
This is my hunting partner's Kifaru...we stayed in it for 2 weeks in Alaska last year and were very comfortable.

You can increase your wealth by counting your blessings

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2009, 10:17:00 AM »
About the single pole tents like the Kifaru - those things look great for cold weather but what about hot, rainy nights?  Don't they either smother you to death (assuming they are buttoned up to keep out the weather) or drown you (assuming they are left somewhat open for ventilation)?

What about the ground inside?  Doesn't that get kind of swampy when it's been raining a while?

I'm not putting these tents down - just trying to understand them.  :-)

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2009, 10:39:00 AM »
When I spend the money, it will be a Kifaru 6 man,and probably the mediums stove.
Support the sport!

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2009, 12:31:00 PM »
that's a good question GK, anybody got an answer?

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2009, 01:51:00 PM »
Got 2 the Outback Lodge and the Alaknak both from Cabelas.   The Outback is the one that I have used the most, and it has stood up to some of the best and worst weather Montana can dish out!
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2009, 02:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by GingivitisKahn:
About the single pole tents like the Kifaru - those things look great for cold weather but what about hot, rainy nights?  Don't they either smother you to death (assuming they are buttoned up to keep out the weather) or drown you (assuming they are left somewhat open for ventilation)?

What about the ground inside?  Doesn't that get kind of swampy when it's been raining a while?

I'm not putting these tents down - just trying to understand them.  :-)
I've stayed in single pole, non-floor tents before.  In the summer time, with rain/heat I'd just forgo the entire teepee and go with a large (10x10 or bigger) tarp, and arrange it in a flying A-Frame or tipped lean-to configuration.  Single wall tents/teepee's really come into their own in the fall/winter, as things start to cool down.  I know the Kifaru has two door on it, to allow for cross ventilation, and with the stove you're good for whatever mother nature wants to throw at you.   Should you not want to deal with the condensation that's inherent with a single wall design, Kifaru also sells a liner that acts like a double wall for their teepee's, and keeps the drips and moisture off you inside.

AFA a soggy bottom, the location for your site is very important.  You don't want to be in a low area, or in the path of run-off.  Provided you pick a suitable area, the inside of the teepee actually stays quite dry, with maybe a bit damp around the edges of the wall, but the center/working area will be dry.
Support the sport!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©