3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who has spent time in single pole tents?  (Read 951 times)

Offline Sawtooth

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who has spent time in single pole tents?
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2009, 05:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by GingivitisKahn:
About the single pole tents like the Kifaru - those things look great for cold weather but what about hot, rainy nights?  Don't they either smother you to death (assuming they are buttoned up to keep out the weather) or drown you (assuming they are left somewhat open for ventilation)?

What about the ground inside?  Doesn't that get kind of swampy when it's been raining a while?

I'm not putting these tents down - just trying to understand them.  :-)
I spend around 60 nights a year in various Kifaru shelters, all floorless.  Most of my time is spent in a Para Tarp, Para Tipi, and 6-man tipi.  I don't know what hot, rainy nights are, so I can't comment on that.  As for sunny weather, you can open up the vents on both doors, and it provides good cross ventilation.  I normally don't spend any time in the tipi during the day anyway, unless it's raining and I happen to be in camp.  

As for the floorless design during wet weather, well you just need to apply some common sense to where you locate your camp, as you would with ANY shelter.  Avoid low spots or places where the rainwater would be channeled into the shelter.  In the hundreds of nights I've spent in Kifaru shelters, I can't really say it's ever been a big deal.  And a number of those nights involved some severe weather.

Good luck to you!  If you opt for a Kifaru shelter, you will NOT have any regrets.  You truly do get what you pay for.
"Me got no house; me all time moving; light fire, make tent, sleep; all time go hunt, how have house?"

--Dersu Uzala
  Sihote'-Alin Range, Ussuria,  

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2009, 10:18:00 PM »
Got to spend a little time in the one Whip has.....great set up.   :thumbsup:  

Spent a couple weeks in a smaller one with 2' walls in the mountains around here, either cut a pole in the timber or throw a rope over a limb.....they're great tents.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2009, 10:26:00 PM »
heydeerman, Yes, that was a Panther tent that held the wind storm party down in Texas.  It was a 15x15' model.  The one that fatman linked to as being for sale is a brand new 12x12, and the ad is an offer to set it up as a camp at Denton Hill.  Of course, you don't actually have to go to Denton to buy it  ;)  

I have certainly heard good things about the Kifaru tents, although I don't have any experience with them.  I have heard about the condensation issues with them, but I know that is not a problem with the canvas tents.  One of the trade offs for lighter weight I suppose.  

The Panther tents can be ordered with a second door for ventilation, and that is how I have my personal tent configured.  As Dave mentioned, they can also be set up using two poles outside rather than the single inside pole.  Or they can also be hung from a tree limb with no poles at all.  

My wife and I went from an old canvas tent years ago, to the pop up camper route, back to a modern dome tent, and now to the single pole.  In our minds, the single pole has been by far the most comfortable camp we have ever had.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2009, 08:31:00 AM »
I own a Kifaru 16-man tipi and love it.  It's 22'X24' inside dimensions.  With all of the extra-long aluminum stakes, the interior aluminum pole, liner, titanium stove, and titanium stove pipe it weighs an honest 37#.  It has the inside room of a fairly large wall tent, keeps you warm in COLD weather, handles wind with aplomb (if properly staked), and can easily be flown in with a Super Cub.  The liner solves the condensation problem.  It's not cheap but it's made here in the good old USA by American citizens and is quality through and through.

Offline bpjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2009, 11:07:00 AM »
I have to add my endorsement of Kifaru tents.  I have spent some stormy nights on the north shore of Lake Superior, and have been dry and comfy the whole time.  The tents are tough, and the stoves work well.
55# 56" Bear Black Panther
52# 66" Hoyt Gold Medalist
42# 58" Bear Kodiak Hunter
45# 62" Pearson Colt
50# 66" Root Rangemaster
45# 64" Bear Kodiak

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2009, 12:13:00 PM »
I would love to have one of the great high quality tents mentioned here, but just can't spring the bucks. Four years ago I bought one of the 10X10 Cabela's outfitter tents with a little cash and a lot of reward points. It is a "tipi style" rig. It has been a lot of places (from Texas to Wyoming), and seen some mean weather. Oklahoma is a great place to test tents, believe you me! It has held up great.

Of course I take good care of it, make sure it is dry and clean before packing, or at least set it up to dry when I get home. The only complaint I have is the door design can get the floor wet when you go in or out during rain. Otherwise, it is drum tight and sticks to the ground when staked out correctly. It even has a nifty vent at the top and ground level vents to avoid condensation.

As I said I have the 10X10, and it is plenty roomy for 2 people and our dogs (about 200lbs of lab in all). I am about 6'5" and can stand up to pull on my pants without stooping or craneing my neck. We also use 2 of the tall blowup mattresses to sleep on. It's easier than sitting on the floor to pull on your socks.

We have stayed in it from temperatures in the low teens and up. We just got back from a week of fishing in the Ozarks and the night time temps didn't drop below 85. I suppose we were as comfortable as anyone with out AC should expect.

This tent works for me (and my budget).

Good Luck on your choice.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Elk whisperer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2009, 05:19:00 PM »
Montana canvas has some nice single pole tents I have a 12x12 great tent with lots of room.
The older I get the better I was

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2009, 05:19:00 PM »
Larry, sent you a PM.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Fallguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2009, 08:03:00 PM »
I have the old Alanak tent from Cabela's that was made by Montana Canvas. It is 12 x 12 plenty of room for 3 guys and most of there gear or 2 guys and everything they own.
"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught" Baba Dioum  Conservationist

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2009, 09:15:00 PM »
All of what Charlie & Whip said plus not only did we have all of camp (cepting a few who took off for a motel) but during the sand storm Whip fired up the grill and fed everyone too!! Doc

PS:  I got got one from Whip...exactly like his  :)
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline dakota tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2009, 09:47:00 PM »
I got one from Whip too!

We used it for the first time at Compton's & I was really impressed to say the least.  We didn't even think the weather was that bad & were shocked when we saw that the big tent had gone down!  I highly recommend Hunter/Pyramid's.  Give Joe a call...you'll be glad you did.  Tell him Tim sent ya!

How's that Joe?  Still $100 a referral right?   :archer:
What was big was not the antlers, but the chance. What was full was not the meatpole but the memory of the hunt.    --Aldo Leopold

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2009, 10:12:00 PM »
I have the 12 x 12 Cabela's Outback lodge and love it. It has withstood heavy thunderstorms and wind. Not a drop got inside. It has a heavy floor too. It has vents and does not get a build up of condensation. There is no provision for a stove pipe but a Buddy heater would work.

I got some weird looks when I told my tent mate the center pole was great for late night dancing.  :)
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2009, 10:17:00 PM »
Thanks Tim!  :scared:  

Tents in Texas went down, and the same thing at Compton last month.  In each of those storms both of my single poles stood up to the fury without a whimper.  I'm sold on the design!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2009, 08:51:00 AM »
"About the single pole tents like the Kifaru - those things look great for cold weather but what about hot, rainy nights? Don't they either smother you to death (assuming they are buttoned up to keep out the weather) or drown you (assuming they are left somewhat open for ventilation)?

What about the ground inside? Doesn't that get kind of swampy when it's been raining a while?

I'm not putting these tents down - just trying to understand them. :-) "

These are honest reservations, I've had them.  BUT, I can add my thoughts to those here.  I've camped in them in every weather.  Personally, I've never had any of these problems.  

One stiuation, one, which I've seen it be an issue is if you are in your tipi, its smokin hot out side, te mosquitos are fierce and you have no liner....than you can feel trapped.  Can't open for ventilation.

Since I am very rarely in my tipi during the day I've never had that problem.

The floorless thing isn't an issue, in fact it makes camping life easier.
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline T.J.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2009, 09:39:00 AM »
Here's a panther primitives 12 x 12 hunters tent I have. I can't say a bad thing about it. I highly recommend them and there is no better guy to deal with than Whip. He's a top notch guy who sells top notch products    :thumbsup:  

"...Watching a buck turn back seeing his form melt away, a hunter will feel an inner smile. There's no other place he wishes to be and never does he feel more alive..."

~Gene Wensel (Primal Dreams)

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2009, 09:57:00 AM »
Elkbreath, the Kifaru tipis can be ordered with mosquito netting for each door.  You can open each side WIDE for maximum ventilation and not have any problem with mosquitos.

No doubt - when it's hot and the sun is bearing down on any tent it gets very warm inside.  That's when you need to put on your leopard skin thong and go outside and sunbathe!

The ground inside the tipi can be bone dry after days of rain as long as the soil drains well.  If it doesn't drain well (like a clay-based soil) then you need to be sure and not pitch it in a low spot.  That advice would also be true for a tent with an integral floor.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2009, 10:04:00 AM »
I have a Kifaru 2 man, I think the whole thing weighs in around 4 pounds. It great when I am by myself alittle cramped other wise.
Make a life, not a living

Offline Wallcrawler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2009, 02:21:00 PM »
I have and use a Korean War era military squad tent, the pear shaped one.  Single pole and (ahem) 18 stakes, plenty of tension on  the lines and it can take snow, wind, rain, hail, etc...  Heavy and impracticle if you are not car or horse camping.  I put it up in 20 minutes by myself,, it has a white liner and 2 vents up top for fumes and heat.  Design allows the sides to be rolled up in very hot weather for more ventilation.  A small stove and its shirt sleeve weather in November.  I will put some recent pics up later if people want to see it.  Army/Navy surplus tends to sell them.  If you're lucky you can get the telescoping aluminum pole too.

Offline schlaggerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2009, 02:53:00 PM »
I agree with No-Sage, the Cabela's Alaknak is hard to beat. I've been using one for the last 15 years on every mountain hunt I've gone on. The side walls make a big difference in the usable area inside of the tent. I had the original Alaknak which I sold to a friend a couple of years ago and he is still using it, that tent is 15 years old. When I sold it I bought the new Alaknak, which No-Sage has pictured above. The new Alaknak is superior to the original and one of the main reasons is it has four foot side walls instead of three foot. Great tents and super easy to set up by yourself if need be.

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2009, 08:31:00 PM »
thanks for all the advice guys, right now I'm looking hard at Cabelas Alaknak, it looks to be the closest to fit my needs and budget

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©