3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Front Loading for IDAHO M O O S E  (Read 478 times)

Offline [email protected]

• Trad Bowhunter
Front Loading for IDAHO M O O S E
« on: July 04, 2009, 06:48:00 PM »
A while back I posted looking for help in getting me pointed in the right direction to fill my Idaho moose tag.  

Drove over last week and spent 3-4 days looking around and talking to people.  We got a good idea of the lay of the land.  

GREAT THANKS to Lone Hunter, what a stand up guy!!... and Larry Fisher of TBM.

I wanted to do some more testing on front loading my Carbon Express.  Came up with this for an easy way to adjust weight...just grind it down a bit or add some wire wrapping.  I will JB Weld the threaded round stock into the insert.  The 10 24 bar stock weights about 40 GPI.

I have had no problem in getting two holes through elk with 550 grains with either Snuffers or WW's.  

But mooses is bigger!!...so now is the time to test this all out.

Beware of all enterprises that require a new suit.

Don't give up what you want most for what you want now.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Front Loading for IDAHO M O O S E
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 08:24:00 AM »
I shot a 600 pound cow moose two seasons ago here in NH. I was shooting a 60# DAS. My arrows were 29" Beman MFX. I used 100 grain brass inserts and 125 grain Razorcaps. The arrow hit the large knuckle covering the heart area and took out a large chunk of it, chipped off a chunk of rib, centered the heart, tore the lungs to shreds and stopped on the off side shoulder. The moose went about 3 strides before going down. My total arrow weight was pretty close to 600 grains on the money. Neither the arrow or the broadhead suffered any damage. I have another tag for moose again this year and will probably use the same set up except that I might use the Muzzy Phantom (my other favorite head) on the front of my arrows.
The best things in life....aren't things!

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 01:14:00 PM »
Bill,

Sounds like it really did the job.

I think I am going to end up with 575 grains and the new WW.

Really looking forward to the hunt...its the packing out that has me concerned.

Bob

Offline TexasTrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 02:34:00 PM »
Hey Bob:

I am going to be hunting Moose for the first time this Fall.  I am curious about your setup.  Do you know how many fps you are getting with your 575 grain arrows?

Thanks,

Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 05:10:00 PM »
Paul,

With 550 grains I was getting 189 so a little less.

Where is your tag?

Bob

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 09:26:00 PM »
Hey Bob, I'll be bowhunting moose next door to you in WY this fall, and your thread is timely because I'm also considering some front loading.  I killed my first moose in NH with a cedar arrow and 125 gr WW - total weight around 550 grains and had complete penetration.  This year I'm back to aluminum arrows but I'm going to experiment with some adaptors to front load. I'm also going to try the 8/32 machine screw idea that Dennis Kamstra mentioned in the latest TBM issue.

Can't decide between the WWs or some 2-blade Grizzly heads, have to see how they fly.
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 08:48:00 AM »
Bob: I had to quarter mine to get it out. Fortunately I some of those cheesecloth meat bags and i would recommend that you get some. I also had a "come along" winch but was trying to move her with nylon rope...it doesn't work becauase it stretches too much. Get some wire cable or several of those nylon tow straps. About the best I could do with the winch was to get her into position to dress her out. The next morning my hunting buddy Todd came over from the other side of the state (we had an agreement to help each other in a situation like this) and we skinned and quartered her using the hide for a tarp. My game cart was inaccessable at the time but would have made getting the quarters out a lot easier. You will have fun so enjoy every minute you can.

Offline Bowshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 01:12:00 PM »
Try to use the method of taking the moose apart without gutting it. Skin from the back down. Remove the top hind quarter by dislocating the hip socket, just follow the meat seams along the pelvis, place it in a meat bag to cool. Remove the front leg/ shoulder, remove the backstrap from just behind the ears to the rear, where the hind quarter was.Bone out the ribs and brisket,or cut them off, your choice, turn your moose over onto the hide and repeat. Don't forget about the tenderloins, you can reach in and remove them easily from the carcass when you are finished. This leaves them on top of one of the loads for easy access for the frying pan when you are done. You should end up with 4-6 pack loads depending on how tough you feel. Way less blood around and a huge difference in the amount of flies attracted if the weather is warm.

Your arrow set up should work well.

Terry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 03:49:00 PM »
Bowshot, thanks I have used the "gutless" method many times on elk and it sure does work.  Don't know why I stood around in the blood and guts for so many years before I got some what smart.

Bill, I have been thinking about game carts...what do you use?  What should I stay away from?  Are brakes a good idea?

Thanks,
Bob

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 03:54:00 PM »
Bob, Good luck...looks like a deadly set-up!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline TexasTrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 06:52:00 PM »
Bob:

Thanks for the info.

I am going to be hunting with Kashabowie Outposts in Canada.  It will be my first time hunting in Canada and my first Moose hunt.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 11:18:00 PM »
TexasTrad,

What unit will you be hunting in Ontario? If memory serves, one of the areas they have tags for is the same one I hunted in 2006.

Offline TexasTrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 06:08:00 PM »
Jason:

We are hunting at Turrie Lake -- I am not sure what unit that is in.  How did you do on your hunt in 2006?

Paul

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 06:36:00 PM »
The game cart I have from Cabela's....Trekker model. It will hold/carry 250 lbs. The one I have, however, has a canvas bed in it that makes toting stuff a lot easier. I have another  cart that is similar but has no canvas liner on it and I had a hard time getting a deer out of the woods with it last year....I am going to make a liner for it before this season begins.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 08:22:00 PM »
Paul,

It looks like you'll be hunting pretty much due east of where we were. We were west of Atikokan; you'll be a bit east of there. We saw decent number of bulls during our hunt, and I ended up taking one during our second week.

Offline TexasTrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2009, 03:27:00 PM »
Jason:

I actually happened to pick up an old copy of TBM and ready your article last night.  What a coincidence.  That was a really nice bull.  Congrats!

Offline et

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2009, 04:05:00 PM »
Bob,
The only potential problem I see is if you are using an aluminum adapter for your BH attachment. I have not had one fail on a big game hit but shooting at ground squirrels, and grouse I have had a couple break off. I have switched to steel adapters though I have heard of concerns with the 75 grain adapters durability.
Eric

Offline et

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2009, 04:07:00 PM »
Bob,
The only potential problem I see is if you are using an aluminum adapter for your BH attachment. I have not had one fail on a big game hit but shooting at ground squirrels, and grouse I have had a couple break off. I have switched to steel adapters though I have heard of concerns with the 75 grain adapters durability.
Eric

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2009, 02:29:00 PM »
Eric,

I appreciate your thoughts...and I have busted the adapter myself.

With the rod "JB welded" into the ferrel I am sure that it will hold together.

Thanks All!

Bob

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©