3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: kids and hunting  (Read 527 times)

Offline flightmedic

• Trad Bowhunter
kids and hunting
« on: July 04, 2009, 06:59:00 PM »
what do you think is the right time to bring a child into hunting, i know each kid is different i have a 9 y/o boy who is just a great son, who has a real desire to hunt, he attends all the 3-d shoots and understands about good shot placement and why he must do it, just looking for thoughts and ideas for him.
Toelke ( Troll)

Striker bow (stinger)

Compton Member
PBS MEMBER
"In the wind he is still alive Fred Bear "

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: kids and hunting
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 07:12:00 PM »
I have been bringing my son hunting with me since he's been about 7 or 8. Forget having a youngster sit still while deer hunting. Try taking your youngster out small game hunting where both of you can slowly walk the woods and at the same time keeping the child's interest. While the two of you are out walking in the woods, stop occasionally to point out deer tracks, and the tracks and sign of other critters that live in the woods. Several seasons doing this he or she may be ready to sit a deer stand with you. Just take your time and don't loose your temper when interest is lost after 10 minutes and they want to go back home.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline TNstickn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 07:28:00 PM »
Sounds like hes ready to hunt. When they start pointing out the things that others do that you disaprove of, they are ready to be tested. Look out rabbits and sqs!
Pick a spot.>>>>-------> Shoot straight.

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 10:43:00 PM »
Sounds like he is ready ,Its more fun to watch than killing yourself.  :bigsmyl:
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 12:03:00 AM »
I hunted with my 1 year old in a back pack. That's when the intro begins. After that they are ready to hunt when you think they are.

I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 12:28:00 AM »
Keep it fun and don't stick her/him in a stand. Hunting for ground sqirrels is a blast for a youngster. From the age of 10 Adam hunted small game (within radio distance), and stalked hogs and deer but was not allowed to shoot them until he was 12 (state law).

He killed his first hog 2 weeks after his 12th birthday and has never looked back.

Online Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 09:42:00 AM »
It really does depend on the child.  The key I think is to keep it fun and slowly build on the previous experience.  Let the child decide when it is time to go.  My daughter started turkey hunting with me when she was four.  We slowly extended the times we spent in the field and the animals we chase together.  Last year, we hunted turkeys, deer, squirrels and rabbits together.  Ground blinds are great and allow some movement which can extend your hunting time.  She carries her own gear in a small backpack and has things like turkey calls, bino, snacks, paper, markers, and a bird field guide.  I carry the heavy stuff like the blind and chairs, but she is responsible for packing and carrying her gear.  I will disagree with the above saying no treestands.  Last year we spent some time together in a double ladderstand and she really enjoyed it, for many of the same reasons we all like them.  Gets you up off the ground where you can see more game and get away with a little movement.  Just make sure to practice good stand safety.  Get a good harness system that fits your child, teach them to use it properly and wear one yourself.
  This year she turned 8 years old and has decided she is ready to kill an animal.  She is preparing and practicing to do that now and we will work together to see if she can kill a squirrel this fall.  
  Here is a picture of her in the stand.  We didn't kill a deer on this night, but did shot a squirrel when he came by.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 10:02:00 AM »
I'm with Jerry.  My son used to ride my back as well (I think he could carry me now - hrm, something to think about) in the field.  Of course, those "hunts" amounted to little more than loud, clanky walks in the woods, but whatever.

I think he got his shotgun when he was 11 or 12?  I forget but he hunted with that for a while until he got his first legal bow.

Last season he took a deer and I didn't - whatta punk!

Anyway - how old is your child? Doesn't matter - it's time to hunt.

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 12:12:00 PM »
My son is 10 and I've been taking him off and on for 3 years! he's been going to the woods stump shooting and hiking and praticing with his bow and is a good shot out to about 15 yards! I going to take him this season and let him take his bow, not to shoot dear but maybe small critters because he don't pull enough weight to be effective!! keeping them enterested is the hard part!! Good Hunting,Jason

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 12:29:00 PM »
Started taking my son when he was three.  Built a harness for him, and hunted out of a treestand several times.  Hauled him up like my gear, on a haul rope.  He loved it.  Now dont worry, we weren't that hich, and always made sure he was secure.  Never got to kill a deer at htose times.  Travis always saw them first a would shout "Daddy, THERE'S A DEER!"  Made for a alot of good memories.  He got to carry his bow and arrows when he was 10, and got his first shoots, all six arrows, from a treestand that first hunt.  Didn't hit anything, but he still talks about that.  He even climbed down and got his arrow, just in case.  Killed his first deer the next year.  
By the way Travis is now 26 yrs old and soon to hold the rank of Sergant in the Army.  He'll be home, on leave from Iraq, when season opens.  Hoping we can get a hunt in with his new bow!
Take 'em young, start 'em early, let 'em have fun, teach 'em right, don't get disappointed, keep the serious part short, watch 'em grow and learn.  "Cause all too soon they'll be grown and all you'll have of that special time is memories!  So help to enjoy, sit back and watch.  You'll have a better life because of it!
Johnny/JAG
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2009, 01:25:00 PM »
JAG has it right as his advice is almost word for word what I intended to post.  

JAG, Thank Travis for his service. My son Jason will be home from his Iraq tour in October and I hope we get time to head afield.
A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight;nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety;is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free,unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2009, 09:46:00 PM »
If he has the desire get him out there fast.I did the similar thing like JAG had my daughter out there sitting in a tree @ 5yrs, they like tree stands its cool being up in the air. The old wise tail was age 12, my dad always said my daughter was to young when she started at 7 deer hunting, boy was he wrong. I would have missed out on some of my best times ever in the field,if i would of listen to dad. She taken the 1st gobbler in the family an 2-3 deer before she was 10, this past year she shot the biggest buck in the family a beautiful heavy horned 8pt with a split brow tine.She just turned 14. I truly believe in this day an high tech age you have to start them as early as possible. My youngest just started last year age 9 an will be bow hunting this year.She didn`t show nearly as interest as her older sister. As mention each kid is different, if they show the desire why wait any long. For some reason kids ten to be a good luck charm`s GOOD LUCK!
Bull

Offline smokin feathers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2009, 11:07:00 PM »
It depends on the child, my oldest started shooting at 4 and killed her first deer on her 5th birthday, she Had killed 20 does and 4 bucks with the rifle by the time she was 10 when she killed her first one with the bow since taking 3 deer and 8 hogs with the bow, She is 11 now, 12 in oct and has now killed 3 deer and a hog hunting on her own. I trust her more with a gun than most men, her sister on the other hand is 8 and just getting to where she can shoot a 22 well and will probably deer hunt with a 22 centerfire this fall, I know I can set her up on a doe at 15yds or less. The younger girl matured slower than the older one did. I think the age depends on the child, you just have to read them. My little bow just turned 4 and has been sitting in blinds and going to 3d shoots since he was 6 months old and by next year will be ready to start shooting and hunting, he begs to go now and only wants to watch the hunting shows at our bow shop where he spends every day.
Smoke

TGMM-FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2009, 11:58:00 PM »
I was sitting treestands with my dad from the age of 5, started hunting with a shotgun with buckshot within earshot of dad @ 8 when I took my first deer and then killed my first deer with a bow @ 12.

It all depends on the kid.  Some adults I know shouldn't wear the title of hunter, and some kids I have been around are not legally allowed to hunt but have as much woods and weapon sense as folks twice their age.  

My boys are 3 and 5 and I will take the 5 year old hog hunting from some ground blinds this winter when we are back in GA, maybe a treestand if "BOP" builds one that is big enough for two and also bowhunter friendly.  

I remember dad looking like Santa carrying our gear for a three hour hunt; sleeping bag, food, pillow, coloring books, yada yada.  He and I still hunt together as much as possible and I am now 31.  We hunted hogs twice in CA this year and will hunt in GA this December when I am back.  We are best buds and it all started hunting.

Get to it, the kid is ready!
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2009, 11:27:00 AM »
GREAT THREAD   :thumbsup:      This is whats all about!!!!! :campfire:
Bull

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2009, 03:40:00 PM »
Jag, That haul lineing your young one brings back some mermories for me. I got pulled up into treestands reguraly when I was a little guy!

I feel mine are ready when they ask to go! All of mine enjoy small game hunting and one is becoming a pretty good deer hunter, and another is just hell bent for turkeys! My youngest who just turned 8 on the 3rd is getting the fever pretty bad now it looks like i need to get him through his hunters ed here real soon.
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Online oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2009, 04:27:00 PM »
I think as soon as they show any interest in tagging along and you are willing to not "really" be hunting.  I would keep the outings short, make sure you have decent weather, great snacks or goodies at some point, low/no pressure situations.  If you are sitting in a deer stand and in comes a BIG buck (high pressure situation), the child is bound to do something that will make you want to strangle them.  They may move, they may talk, etc.  The chance is higher that a negative event might occur.
Birds and small game are much better starters because they are low pressure, you are moving around, absolutle silence isn't required, and they are more likely to see some action.  Anything dead when you are little is exciting.

Offline suzie_shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2009, 09:16:00 PM »
i shot my first deer with a wheel bow when i was 9 and havent stopped since. i think if they want to go let them and get them hooked before they loose interest.
Whack'em Track'em and Pack'em

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2009, 09:59:00 PM »
Reed started going with me when he was two.  We hunted from the ground and he did a lot of napping while I hunted.  By the time he was three we were in a double ladder and I killed a few deer with a rifle while he was in the stand with me.  He shot his first deer with a gun at age six and has taken many deer and hogs since.  He is 12 now and is still looking for his first deer with a bow, but the interest is strong.

I think it is important to remember that kids are kids.  Take some things to do-coloring books, story books, etc.  I even let my daughter take the game boy (I know I know)on occassion when I want to stretch our time on stand longer than she would normally want to be there.  It is a compromise between stretching the seat time and not making it an endurance contest. Another proven time killer is a good pair of binoculars.

Snacks and drinks are also a great idea.   Raisins, apples, bananas, trail mix, etc. are great because they aren't noisy.  Juice boxes and caprisuns are outstanding.

Kids also need to be warm.  I used to leave a sleeping bag in a plastic bag at our favorite treestand.

The most important thing is to take them now while they are interested.  If you want to share your passion with them you have to strike while the iron is hot.  

It is also important to let them have some early success.  That is why I personally endorse gun hunting as a way to get kids involved in hunting early.  An added bonus is that nothing teaches responsibility like strict and proper gun safety.  As someone said before, I trust my 12 year old with a gun more than I do most grown men.

Good luck.

Gregg
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2009, 07:48:00 AM »
I've taken my daughter since she was about two. She is now four and she is educating my neices and nephews about the outdoors. Keep it fun and safe, and as always teach them different things about the outdoors that will keep them yearning for more. Ed --------------->
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©