3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do it yourself Antelope....Where?  (Read 355 times)

Offline 2-BIG

• Trad Bowhunter
Do it yourself Antelope....Where?
« on: July 05, 2009, 11:28:00 AM »
I'm contemplating doing a self guided Antelope hunt out west next year and I need some advice. I chose Antelope because of the terrain they inhabit and my out of shape self won't have to climb any mountains.
I need to do the "do it yourself" hunt and not a guided so that I can keep expenses down.
What state would you chose?  :confused:  
I have never hunted out west and if there were an area that I could hunt both Antelope and Mule Deer, that would be a plus. Any advice to a novice flatlander?  :confused:    :campfire:
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline nurayb

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do it yourself Antelope....Where?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 11:51:00 AM »
Buy a preferance point for wyoming now and you should be able to draw some of the decent tags next year.  A lot of the country in the eastern part of the state holds deer also.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 12:27:00 PM »
Wyoming for sure.  You can get left over tags in many units right now.  I'd be making a call to one of your favorite UP bowyers right now...

If you want a decent priced "guided" hunt, I know where you can get one of them...well worth it!

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 12:33:00 PM »
2 big I also have a great option for you if you'll call me at 678 300-2883
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 01:33:00 PM »
Wyoming. We are covered up with antelope, and public land hunting is good to excellent. Lots of mulies, too. Unless you are planning on sitting on a waterhole the whole time, though, I would suggest that getting in shape would be a real plus. Most of Wyoming is above 5000 feet, and antelope country is deceivingly hilly.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline J. Adams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 02:04:00 PM »
I agree with Pat.  Get in shape, as you may be covering many miles chasing those prairie goats.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Offline 2-BIG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 03:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by Steve O:
Wyoming for sure.  You can get left over tags in many units right now.  I'd be making a call to one of your favorite UP bowyers right now...

If you want a decent priced "guided" hunt, I know where you can get one of them...well worth it!
SteveO, I was just talking with Steve last weekend about his antelope hunt. I just got the urge today to try and put something in the works.
A guided hunt is out of the question for a while until I know that my wife's health is in order. Can't risk having to back out of a guided hunt at the last minute.  :)
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline 2-BIG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 03:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ray Hammond:
2 big I also have a great option for you if you'll call me at 678 300-2883
Ray, I'll give you a call soon. Thanks!  :D

Offline 2-BIG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 03:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by centaur:
Wyoming. We are covered up with antelope, and public land hunting is good to excellent. Lots of mulies, too. Unless you are planning on sitting on a waterhole the whole time, though, I would suggest that getting in shape would be a real plus. Most of Wyoming is above 5000 feet, and antelope country is deceivingly hilly.
Wyoming definitely sounds like the place to go.  :thumbsup:  I am actually in much better condition than I look, so if it is not super steep terrain I could definitely do ok.  :)

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 05:50:00 PM »
Wyoming is the best bet. I've been fortunate to have friends living in Casper and Glenrock that I hunt with. Getting permission isn't too hard either but there is also alot of public land to bowhunt. Chasing those prarie goats around is a great hunt.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline 2-BIG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2009, 07:23:00 PM »
Thanks guys.....my search has begun and it will definitely be in Wyoming!  :thumbsup:

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2009, 07:39:00 PM »
Jim, Drew, Kevin, and I are going to Wyoming this September.  Our hunt will be in the Buffalo area.  We will take lots of notes and will be able to give you the low down in that area when we get back.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline dakota tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2009, 09:47:00 PM »
Don't forget South Dakota.  You could even go this year!

SD
What was big was not the antlers, but the chance. What was full was not the meatpole but the memory of the hunt.    --Aldo Leopold

Offline shbne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 12:02:00 AM »
Left over tags are available July 7 online for wy.

Lots of the Eastern units have left over buck tags because they are mostly private. If your any good on the phone, the local C.O. and chamber of commerce can usually point you towards ranchers that welcome hunters or charge realistic tresspass fees.

If horns are of less concern than sleeping in the dessert with your bow and a liscense to kill, then there are quite a few doe/fawn tags left over for areas with large chunks of public land.

Get a delorme Gazateer and a "Unit map", which is  available online, and start looking at left over tags. Try find tags in areas with big chunks of Public.

Big Blocks of public is the Key so they cant get pushed off into private.  Go during the last available part of the season.

Doe/fawn tags are available online July 21 I think.

MT (700) and SD are also good options.

The s.e. corner of MT has the Most Public antelope type ground. Usually has a good number of doe tags left over also.

Offline 2-BIG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2009, 10:28:00 AM »
Originally posted by Tim Fishell:
Jim, Drew, Kevin, and I are going to Wyoming this September.  Our hunt will be in the Buffalo area.  We will take lots of notes and will be able to give you the low down in that area when we get back.
Sounds good Tim...good luck to you guys!  :campfire:

Offline 2-BIG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2009, 10:31:00 AM »
My hunt has to be in 2010 since our vacation book gets passed this comming November. I can't get a vacation in September of this year.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2009, 10:51:00 AM »
Jim,

Get yourself a WY preference point right now.  The PP application period is open until Sept.  I believe they are $30 and will help you greatly to secure a tag next year.

Offline 2-BIG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2009, 10:55:00 AM »
Thanks Steve...will do!  :)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©