3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hogs 2, Swampdrummer 0( Long)  (Read 251 times)

Offline swampdrummer

• Trad Bowhunter
Hogs 2, Swampdrummer 0( Long)
« on: July 05, 2009, 10:49:00 PM »
Decided last night that I would get up early and chase hogs for a bit this morning before it got too awful hot. Out the door at pre-dawn and over to my target for a couple of "confidence shots" before I ventured into the woods.

Slipping thru the woods to the nearest feeder and there are hogs there, 10 or 12. Figure I am in business as I check the wind and begin my stalk. 50 yards out I am busted by a doe and a fawn that I failed to see between me and the hogs. This puts the hogs on edge and they slowly drift off the feeder and slip under the fence onto the neighbors property.
I move into position near the feeder and set up in a clump of palmettos. Thermocell out and I settle in. 30 minutes pass and a small, solid black boar wanders out of the swamp and comes directly into range. He sticks his head in a palmetto clump and I come to full draw. about 12 yards. My form feels good. Anchor is solid. He turns to his left giving me a slight quartering away shot and I let fly. Still not exactly sure what happened, he either saw or smelled me milliseconds before release or actually jumped the string. The arrow went were I was looking, just the pig wasn't there when it got there. Instead I killed a perfectly good oak tree. Woodsman broadhead stuck full depth in the heart of the tree and will remain there for a long while....... Pigs 1......

I hadn't planned on hunting this evening but after the near miss this morning I felt the need to go back and redeem myself.
Couple of hogs on the feeder when I slipped in. Big sow and a small shoat, maybe 40 pounds. Wind was swirling and the sow smelled me and wandered off to the wood line. Long low grunts as she went calling for her youngun to follow but he was having to much fun wallowing in the mud under the feeder to listen... ( reminded me of a teenager :-) )
The little guy eventually figured out that he was alone in his bliss and took off running for the woodline. He went out of sight and I, figuring I had nothing to lose grunted at him,trying to imitate what I had just heard the sow do. He turned around and ran back out into the open and stopped. Still too far for a shot and I only fooled him for a second but definitely something to remember.  
Moved in and got set up in the same place I was this morning and the fun began, quickly. I saw 11 hogs in a little over an hour. Had a 100# boar about 5 yards in front of me, Facing directly at me. Face half under water ,blowing bubbles and munching corn. He never presented any sort of shot and the wind swirled and he blew out of there with a quickness. Hogs came and went and never presented a shot until just before dark. Two 100 pound plus boars came in and both turned away from me simultaneously at about 20 yards. I came to full draw as one turned sideways but before I could get settled in and pick a spot he had turned and the other boar had now turned sideways so I switched over to him. The shakes had me BAD! My form went all to hell. I found myself closing one eye and my anchor was nowhere to be found. I should have let down and recomposed or just passed but with the wind swirling the way it was I knew it was now or never. I let fly and hit the boar, way high up. I think in the top inch or so over his shoulder. Arrow passed thru and the flew up in the air. Not sure whether it hit the opposite shoulder and glanced off or hit the palmetto behind the hog and then went up. Doesn't matter. Bad hit.No blood. Fat and very light blood on the arrow and after an hour of hunting for more blood or sign by flashlight I am hoping he wasn't hit hard. Hogs 2, Swampdrummer 0

Lessons learned.
Need to set myself up better if I am going to hunt on the ground. Mainly wind problems but better concealment,possible away from the feeder would help. Theres a small funnel area that all the hogs I have seen today have passed thru, either coming or going that would get them within 12-15 yards and they may no be as wary when they are coming in then when they have reached the feeder.I could solve all of this by climbing back up in a tree stand but I'd like to stay on the ground. Both for the challenge and for the mobility.

I need more time on the blank bale. My form should be the last of my worries when I have game in front of me.

I need to stick to my range limits. I am very consistent out to 15 yards. I occasionally blow a shot, even on the target at 20 yards. I have no business slinging arrows at game at 20 until I can be consistent at that range. I know standard stuff but in the heat of the moment I lose common sense I think......

At any rate. Another day in the south Florida swamps! The hogs are safe at Gator Creek until next weekend!
Back Tension BEFORE Back Strap !

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hogs 2, Swampdrummer 0( Long)
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 07:58:00 AM »
good luck for the next weekend!
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep
(William Elliot Whitmore)

Offline Chris O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 01:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by swampdrummer:

Still not exactly sure what happened, he either saw or smelled me milliseconds before release or actually jumped the string. The arrow went were I was looking, just the pig wasn't there when it got there.

I had this exact situation happen to me! and I just thought Ray had some ninja pigs!!

Thanks for the great story!

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 05:47:00 PM »
I enjoyed your story very much and hope you keep posting them.  This past spring I went on my 1st hog hunt and I really beleive they are harder to hunt than deer any day of the week.

Keep the stories coming.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 07:38:00 PM »
Good tale!  There will be other encounters.  Take away what you have learned from this one, and you should be where you need to be for the next one.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 09:06:00 PM »
Isn't it amazing how close you can get and for how long and still never have a decent shot?  It really keeps the heart rate up, doesn't it?  Bill

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©