3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Full diameter vs skinny carbons  (Read 292 times)

Offline LA Trapper

• Trad Bowhunter
Full diameter vs skinny carbons
« on: July 05, 2009, 11:01:00 PM »
Full Diameter vs Skinny carbon

Anyone have experience in both?  I realized Gold Tips allow you to front load with weight and such,  and skinny carbons will have less drag, but can anyone give me their preferences and why you like what you are shooting?

Do you shoot parabolic or shield with your carbon?

What works best for you and what brand and size of carbon do you shoot?

I am attempted to shorten my learning curve and save a few dollars.  

I am creating my own personal stimulus package!    :D  

Thanks;

Billy
Lifetime Member Bayou State Bowhunters
Lifetime Member Louisiana Traditional Bowmen

The path of least resistance is what makes men and rivers crooked.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Full diameter vs skinny carbons
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 11:23:00 PM »
I use Gold Tip Traditionals more because that's what I started with than for any particular reason.  I've heard it argued that the skinny carbons offer better penetration, and that does seem logical to me.  I've also heard others say it doesn't matter much in flesh and bone.  But if there is any difference to be had, the skinnys would get the nod.  I do think it is easier to fletch helical with a standard size shaft.  I personally use shield cut feathers.

The Gold Tips have worked well for me, and now I have nocks, inserts, etc. for them so will stick with them.  I do enough economic stimulating the way it is.     :rolleyes:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Jesse Peltan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 11:49:00 PM »
I thought gold tip was skinny at 5/16in.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 12:25:00 AM »
Beman ICS Bowhunter 500. They are 9/32" and are about as cheap as you can get for carbons. They shoot better for me than anything else I have tried. I can get EFOC without having to go above 10 grains per pound.

Without knowing what you are planning to shoot them with, it's hard to say what spine, weight, etc. might work for you. I shoot these with my 52# Kanati, but they also work just fine from my 46# Kanati (they aren't real picky on spine).
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 12:38:00 AM »
I have and shoot both size carbons. CX 150's, CX250's and ST Axis. I have not killed anything with them as yet. I do know the Axis are easier for me to tune in my bows. I use the 100 grain inserts and go from there. My arrows are between 9 and 10 grains per pound of draw weight.
The Axis arrows always penatrate in the bales and 3-d's more. I also foot my carbon arrows. So far I have only broke 3 carbons in 4 years.

Offline Mike Byrge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 07:32:00 AM »
Hi Billy,  Hope y'all are doing good down in Natchitoches...looks like rain again here today.

I've only shot a few animals (pigs) with carbon arrows and penetration was good.  I've used both Gold Tips and Carbon Xpress and also Beeman MFX skinny arrows.  The skinny shafts were harder to tune for me.

My favorite is the Carbon Xpress Heritage.  I can tune them withoout having to front-load with a lot of weight and still end up with a decent total-weight arrow and they are tough and consistent.

I know that a front-loaded (efoc) arrow should penetrate better but I've had mixed results tuning them.

I pretty much use 5" feathers and shape doesn't matter.  I have fletched some using four 4" feathers also and they fly good and look cool.

I've pretty much went back to shooting aluminum arrows though.  Just about the perfect spine to weight ratio for me and I've shot enough animals with them to know they work.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 07:38:00 AM »
I use carbons ranging from the old pultruded 15/64th shafts to the 23/64th linecutters.I mostly shoot 3 or 4" feathers on everything but the fat shafts.I have 5" on them.I have seen no benifit in shooting larger feathers on skinny or light weight shafting.Skinny is good for hunting.Nothing penitrates as well as the older pultruded shafts.I don't hunt with any of the fat shafts.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 07:50:00 AM »
I've been shooting for 55 years or so and I am primarily a bowhunter. The options you have today are mind  boggeling if you are a newbie. In reality you can't really go wrong if you can find someone to mentor you. Most of the carbon arrows today are just great. I personally use the Axis or Beman MFX shafts when I make my arrows. With about 200-225 grains up front they have made the best hunting arrows I have ever used. Footing them with a i" piece of aluminum shaft makes them almost unbreakable. I like four four inch feathers on my arrows.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 09:45:00 AM »
I've shot game with shafts ranging from 5/16 to 25/64, and I haven't noticed a difference in penetration. A good, sharp broadhead and blood for lubricant makes for good penetration, regardless of shaft diameter. You can push a lot through a big hole!
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 09:57:00 PM »
IMHO, nothing can beat the AXIS style arrows from Easton/Beman when it comes to penetration on dense targets.  The carbon walls are thicker, the overall diameter is smaller than a traditional carbon arrow,  and they can be weighted at the tip just like the others with either a brass insert or by weighting up the broadheads.

I just foot the non-FMJ style AXIS for a little security, but I've never had a better hunting arrow.
Support the sport!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©