3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: river cane ?  (Read 218 times)

Offline geno

• Trad Bowhunter
river cane ?
« on: July 06, 2009, 12:45:00 PM »
I cut about two dozen shafts yesterday. should I just bundle them together and let them dry or do I need to do something else first? I found an old build along from mickey but it started after the drying...Thanks.G
"Learning how to shoot a bow is easy if you learn the right way"..Howard Hill

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: river cane ?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 12:53:00 PM »
They need to dry before they are ready.  Dry them in the shade, but before you are ready, set them out in the sun.  They'll retain a green tint until they have had some sun time.

Marvin

Offline nchunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 12:53:00 PM »
Kinda the wrong time of year to be cutting cane, IMO.  Late winter when the sap is down is better.  I've found cane to be pretty "juicy" during the growing season.  

Anyway, if you can lay it out up on a flat surface in your attic to dry, that would be best.  I bundled some up to dry before, and stuck it in my garage.  When I un-bundeled it several months later I found black mold spots on the surface of the cane.  It was just a cosmetic issue, but when I go through all the work of making a cane arrow I kind of like it to look nice...

Offline geno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 12:58:00 PM »
ya think they will dry up ok ?
"Learning how to shoot a bow is easy if you learn the right way"..Howard Hill

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 09:23:00 PM »
I put mine on the roof of a shed for a couple of weeks, when I bring them inside I bundle them up and let them dry in the lower humidity in the house for a month or so before I use them.  
Tie them in a bundle and put them in your vehicle that is parked in the sun, depending on temps, they should be ready to use in about a week.  Putting them on the dash is best, they will bend easily when hot so don't tie ths bundle too tight.  They will still have a greenish tint that will yellow after a few weeks.  Bill

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 11:17:00 PM »
If you are sure the canes you cut are mature it is OK to cut now...but winter is better.  I bundle canes with rubber bands or spiral wrap them with cord and stand(or hang) them in my utility room. After a month or so you can begin to straighten them with heat. This will also help them dry.
   You can also hand straighten them(without heat) every few days and by the time they are ready to make arrows they will be straight.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Clay Hayes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 11:30:00 PM »
Dido what Pat said.  Also, I'v found that scraping the waxy coating off helpes fletchings stick, and quickens the drying time as well.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©