3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: All-time Favorite Small Game Head  (Read 1305 times)

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
All-time Favorite Small Game Head
« on: March 27, 2007, 10:01:00 PM »
Well, it's been awhile since we had a good poll, and I figured this is one that would get alot of good, varied results. Now, if only I could set it up properly...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: All-time Favorite Small Game Head
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 10:15:00 PM »
I voted for judos, but I would have to say Ace Hex heads are equal in my book, just for different reasons. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 10:20:00 PM »
Curious, why the Judo's? Is it because they're so hard to loose?
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline longstiks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 11:05:00 PM »
I voted for the Ace hex heads too.
Denny

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 11:13:00 PM »
I have been using only nutters since reading about them a few years ago.  I have had excellent luck using them.   Course, I always follow up with my Shrew hawk.
ChuckC

Offline j yenney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 11:21:00 PM »
I have used all of them and I still have to go with the old rubber blunt. They are easy to find and don't go thru animals but they still give a quick kill.
j yenney

Offline Scott S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 11:49:00 PM »
I like an old small game head that I don't think is made anymore.  If I recall correctly, they were by Saunders.  They had a sharp, solid conical point in front of big, flat, blunt face.
"The fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth and upon every bird of the heavens, upon everything that creeps on the ground and all the fish of the sea. Into your hand they are delivered." Gen 9:2

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 05:40:00 AM »
My vote is for judo's also, i like hex but to many times i have had them break the tip off my arrow. The judo seems to hit good and you can recover your arrow in one piece.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 01:09:00 PM »
I have to admit, I chose the cut-&-crush style of blunts, mostly because I think they're the most lethal. I just don't think you can beat the Magnus blunt, or a homemade version of it...
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 01:54:00 PM »
I personally just use some old broadheads that are dull. They seem to work really well.

Jeff

Offline ZaneD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 02:26:00 PM »
i really like simple blunts better, but i voted for judos because they will get the job done and you won't lose the arrow

Offline Tom Uselding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2007, 03:26:00 PM »
On the ground - field points, in trees - blunts and judos.
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature; old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.  Semper Fi - Tom

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2007, 08:41:00 PM »
If you ask the question: "do you think about sharks very often?" ; you are going to get geographically oriented answers- and the same is true of this question.
 A person that goes to the beach each day is just going to answer differently than a person that has never seen the ocean.
 In Michigan; I used broadheads on groundhogs; I used judos for other small game; and for practice.
 So- my 'Michigan answer' would be judos and broadheads.
 Now I live in Idaho; it is the land of rocks and rocks.
 And more rocks.
I couldn't shoot an arrow more than one time at most small game here in Idaho.
 There is a 4 grouse a day limit - right during elk and deer season; and I don't carry a quiver full of judos ( which is what I would need in this envirnment); I take one rubber blunt with me.
 I can hit a grouse; or miss and hit a rock and still have an intact arrow.
 I have had friends come here and use judos and other hard heads; but they are always happy when I give them a rubber blunt.
 If you see a groundhog sitting on a hill of dirt; hey- thats a situation for a broadhead; but if you see a marmot sitting in a crack in a rock wall- a rubber blunt aimed at its head: is much more logical.
  right!!? !!  :campfire:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2007, 08:43:00 PM »
Good point Brian.

Jeff

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2007, 09:41:00 PM »
A good point Brian. Yeah, I know there are certain aspects of the survey that are questionable, like the fact that I don't consider stuff like big groundhogs small game (To me, once a broadhead is the ONLY thing you can use to ensure something's death, they stop being small game). But, I was just curious as to everyones overall favorite small-game head. Plus if a certain type stands out among the rest, then I figure that's incentive enough to buy em and try em...
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2007, 09:44:00 PM »
Ace Hex Heads!
Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2007, 01:02:00 AM »
Bowspirit
  Its interesting to know what heads are the most popular; I would hate to see people hunt without thunkin on the variables a bit  :)
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2007, 03:25:00 PM »
Point taken Brian. This is just a basic question for fun's sake. You're right though. There are alot of variable to consider when using a small-game head. Not just geography, either...
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline -Achilles-

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2007, 04:49:00 PM »
field points for sure...havent lost a squirrel in years...plus there cheap...broadheads worked great too but I also lost alot of arrows...rubber blunts simply didnt kill very good most everytime the squirrel just got up and ran up the tree after being hit...lol...if I were to use any blunt it would be a metal blunt

Offline Doug S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2007, 06:13:00 PM »
1 year I took those tips from the "interactive archery" screen shoot (rounded heads) and put a grasshopper behind it. I killed 4-5 critters with it. Including a Ground hog in the head.
The hunt is the trophy!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©