3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tick Repellant  (Read 1045 times)

Offline pktm

• Trad Bowhunter
Tick Repellant
« on: July 07, 2009, 12:34:00 PM »
Do any of you guys use any tick repellant. I've used it for the last few years and I think I'm going to stop using it because I think it adds an odor to my clothes giving me away. If you do use it, what is your experience with it.
Fundamentally the marksman aims at himself

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tick Repellant
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 12:50:00 PM »
My brother-in-law just got out of bed Sat for the first time in 3 weeks because he did not use any.With the lyme and spotted fever around here we quit worrying about a little smell a few years ago.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 12:59:00 PM »
Permithrin, the only way to go into the woods. Apply let dry then wash it once with sportwash a day later, I get about 3 weeks out of a treatment when I wash'em regularly.
You may also try lavender oil, lemon oil, crysanthenim extract, etc... do some googling on the web and you will come up with many "natural remidies"
However they mostly all smell! effective but are quite strong, Good old permithrin, dampen your outerware with about 2 cans of the treatment, I use Repel permenone, let it dry overnight, your ready to go. For a MONTH!! I would not use it on my skin though.

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 01:07:00 PM »
Coulston's Doranon is the only game in town in my book.  Read the directions, follow them, and never leave home without it.  It works for chiggers too.  You may find a tick or two on your clothes, but he will be very slow. I buy nothing else and neither do my friends.  It is also odorless.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 01:14:00 PM »
Good question. I just found out yesterday that I have advantanced Lyme myself. I have used the permanone for chiggers defense. How does it work on ticks?

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 01:21:00 PM »
FYI Duranon uses permethrin as the active ingredient.  I have used others with the same but it does not work near as well as the yellow can with the black cap.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 01:54:00 PM »
I went to out cabin last weekend and shortly after arriving walked around a bit.  Came inside and picked seven ticks off my clothing.  I applied Repel Permanone® to my clothes and then spent the next three days working on treestands and messing around in the woods.  

I did end up finding one of the little buggers imbedded on the last day, but I could have just as easily picked him up around the yard when I didn't have my working clothes on.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 03:30:00 PM »
Toelkeman... I think the deer aren't as afraid of the Permanone as the guy wearing it.
   ;)  

Follow Swampthing's advice if you are worried about the smell.

I should add that I about died from a tick bite about ten years ago... for a while I was wishin I would.
They are not to be taken lightly.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Shooty1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 03:49:00 PM »
Permanone or Sawyers Clothing Spray--anything with permethrin. It works.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 03:58:00 PM »
If they smell ya with the permanone, they'd have smelled you without it....it's good insurance...ticks are no joke!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 03:59:00 PM »
you can always use what my dog rocky uses, frontline... the ticks fall off of him deader'N a hammer.  

Killdeer you will still be welcome in camp, hell you'd just look like one of the gang now.   :biglaugh:
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 04:05:00 PM »
Permethrin is the fix.Brands matter little because it is the same amount in every brand.Follow directions correctly to treat your clothes and use deet for your skin and you will never have problems with ticks.

Ticks are terrible around here.A few years ago I got in a nest turkey hunting and had over 300 on me from a morning hunt.I used permethrin for the first time the next weekend and hunted the same place.I watched ticks climb my pants and they would die and fall off before they made it to my knee.Did not get a single tick on me that day.I did get lyme from the first hunt however.  :(

Offline Scott S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 05:54:00 PM »
Anybody ever heard of using dog tick collars around the ankles of the pants (not on bare skin)?
"The fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth and upon every bird of the heavens, upon everything that creeps on the ground and all the fish of the sea. Into your hand they are delivered." Gen 9:2

Offline pktm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2009, 05:56:00 PM »
Ok I'm convinced, tick spray it is. Especially since I'll be hunting on solid turf this year, no eagles nest.
Fundamentally the marksman aims at himself

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2009, 11:15:00 PM »
Permithrin works...been using it for twenty years...Also use something to cinch up pants legs or tuck them in your boots...

David
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2009, 11:19:00 PM »
Could someone provide a link to the EXACT product I need to order to treat all my camo?  I'll want a large bottle...if it keeps well.  Being from NC, I wash my early season camo after every hunt, early season.  

There seems to be several different roducts out there.

Offline artifaker1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2009, 12:49:00 AM »
I caught that Colorado tick fever, it is a drag. Comes back the next year at the same time of the year, to the day almost. But it is much less severe than some of the other tick ailments.
Love is fleeting; stone tools are forever

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2009, 08:35:00 AM »
Jeff REI sells the Sawyer brand in a 24 once spray bottle for $15.That is as good a deal as any and it will be easy for you to find since you won't pay shipping.It will treat about 4 sets of shirts and pants for 6 weeks if used by the directions.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2009, 11:09:00 AM »
I haven't found muchto help with ticks this time of year.  Most of the time I try and use a repel spray, but I have found that going shirtless and in shorts helps me see and feel them better to get to them before they bite.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2009, 01:09:00 PM »
6 or 7 years ago, I actually got shots at deer that trailed me where I had brushed against bushes with Permanone on my clothes.  We're talking 1 1/2 years old and up, not fawns.  I think the odor was new and they were curious.  I haven't noticed them trailing me as much now, maybe used to it or maybe I avoid brushing up against the underbrush.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©