3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: stalking shoes  (Read 547 times)

Offline chesapeakeblend

• Trad Bowhunter
stalking shoes
« on: July 07, 2009, 02:20:00 PM »
Gosh it has been a long time since I have posted a thread!  Where does time go?  I need to stop working so much!

Anyway I have to tell you guys I picked up a pair of vibram five finger shoes for strengthening my feet while hiking/running and it occured to me this might just be the best stalking shoe ever!  Just like being barefoot except with a little protection!  

I thought if anyone would appreciate this shoe for hunting it would be tradgang.  I will keep you posted as to how they end up working out this fall.

Here is a link -  http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/

Mike
Mike Norton

A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal.    -Aldo Leopold

Offline Wallcrawler

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: stalking shoes
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 02:25:00 PM »
Those are absolutely incredible and I think I may have to get some now, thanks.

Offline chesapeakeblend

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 02:43:00 PM »
yeah they came out a few years ago but it took that long for someone to actually carry them locally.  Check out your hiking/outdoor stores.  

The shock value is great too.  People are always doing a double take when I wear them to the grocery store!
Mike Norton

A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal.    -Aldo Leopold

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 03:01:00 PM »
I thought about them too as stalking shoes when ive first seen them, please keep us updated how they work
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep
(William Elliot Whitmore)

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 03:11:00 PM »
That's pretty funny as my son-in-law was wearing a pair of those with his scuba gear at our camp over the 4th.  He loves 'em but they didn't look like they gave much protection...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 03:15:00 PM »
They stink to high heaven after very little wear and fall apart pretty quickly. They were great for a few days but not worth the money, imho.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline chesapeakeblend

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 03:16:00 PM »
tippit - very little protection.  maybe 1/4" piece of vibram.  that being said they conform to every little change in the ground and have to be the quietest shoe i have ever worn in the woods.
Mike Norton

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 04:10:00 PM »
I have a pair. Bought them as an impulse buy, haha. I think they're great. I love to run in them and I occasionally wear them to the bar...makes for a nice conversations starter.

I wouldn't wear them anywhere you've got cactus, though!

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 04:51:00 PM »
They are excellent for stalking and just plain wearing around.  Have to disagree with JC.  I wear mine all the time and have worn them in some pretty aweful places; like for instance, my deer lease which is nothing but rocks, mesquite and cactus:

If you are an elk hunter they are perfect for warmer weather and when you have to cross streams and rivers and don't want to get your regular boots wet.  For a tradhunter, they are a must!

Brett
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 06:21:00 PM »
I have 2 pair.  Never tried to hunt in them.  Lots of poison ivy around here.  They are great for trail use though, so I don't see why one can't use them stalking.  Mine are 3 years old and still in great shape.

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 06:27:00 PM »
Well I stand corrected  :knothead:  Now the Big Question...do they come in size 14  :bigsmyl:  Ya'll might be reading some posts about Sasquatch hunting around my deer stands!  Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 06:35:00 PM »
the website asks for your feet measurement in inches.  I have the Classic and KSO.  The Flow looks to be best for trail use. It is new as of this year I believe.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 10:43:00 PM »
Steertalker said: "For a tradhunter, they are a must!"

Sir....we will just have to agree to disagree on that statement 8^).

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 01:00:00 PM »
They look neat, a great idea and as far as comfort goes I thought they were top shelf; I guess from all the other comments I must have gotten a bad pair but mine literally started coming apart after a couple of trips to the river and couple more to the woods.

From those of you who like them, how have you gotten around the smell...or was I unlucky there too?

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 03:14:00 PM »
i have a pair i got for Christmas. i wear them around the yard on the weekends, and they work ok for that.  My biggest problem is that i have a high instep, and they give very little arch support. i can't wear them all day without my feet giving out.  So far i haven't noticed the smell...
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2009, 03:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by JC:
From those of you who like them, how have you gotten around the smell...
They just stay away from you Joe!  :biglaugh:  Seriously, I've shared a tent with those feet & they could rot through lead!  :biglaugh:

(sorry Joe, couldn't help m'self!)
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2009, 03:36:00 PM »
No worries Rob...but I thought that 20mph wind that blew through the tent was enough to keep it away from your "delicate" senses. Should I post the "tasting" video for reference?     :eek:

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2009, 04:57:00 PM »
I wear them all day in 100+ degree heat on my deer lease during the summer months walking across rocks, gravel and then down in the Pecos R. and then around camp.  Have not had a problem with smell.  Only time I wish I had been wearing something else was when a I got a hot .45 ACP brass stuck inside.  Those suckers are hot!!!!!

Brett
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Offline texbow2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2009, 05:56:00 PM »
too many many snakes in Oct/Nov to try them where I hunt

Offline chesapeakeblend

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2009, 06:28:00 PM »
Haven't had the smell problem yet and I typically do pretty quickly with sandals and flops.
Mike Norton

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©