3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Targets...just for fun  (Read 623 times)

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Targets...just for fun
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2009, 07:28:00 AM »
Lots more good ideas fellers, preshate the input. I've put Miss Kim on alert for any practice golf balls and whiffle balls. I figure I'll skip the barbie...but I did laugh my but off on that one..

Forgot to mention the old standby tennis ball, especially the real heavy ones for dogs. I've found those at tractor supply now and then on sale and after the dogs get bored with them I steal em away. Disposable plastic cups make a good sound on impact; and I get to be green...I get some more use out of them after they develop a leak and we can't use them in the house anymore. Ping pong balls seem to crush too easily.

Never thought of the baby powder in the med bottle, bet that makes a heck of a visual confirmation.

On the more bizarre side: I've tried eggs that were too old to use for cooking, and although really cool on impact, they're too messy. We even tried shooting through the hole of a couple of stale donuts in camp one time...course, you only get one shot.  We've done apples and pears off the trees but they are a bit messy too. Potatoes work ok if big enough...but don't ask me about tomatoes    :saywhat:  

Any other suggestions?
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2009, 08:36:00 AM »
Joe... a buddy and I use to shoot in his little garage (one car) when the snow was piled chin deep in the wonderful Wyoming winter.

Because the range was so short we made the targets small.

For instance we'd hang a 4 penny finish nail from a piece of bowstring material.

Initially we counted how many times in a row we could hit the nail. After a while we'd cut the string and finally settled on shooting the nail while it was swinging.

Sharpens a guy right up.

Out with the grandson the other evening I showed him how to hunt bumble bees. Shot 3 with my first 3 shots... it's important to impress "no limitations" on their young little brains.

Grasshoppers are another favorite.

While the boy is still in his "let 'er rip" stage of shooting he did come up with a quotable after sailing one way past the target. "At least it went a long ways Grandpa."
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2009, 09:49:00 AM »
Charlie, thatn's some darn fine shooting... I'd like to watch the bumble bee shooting... I've swatted 'em with ping pong paddles..  They get pissed if you miss a few times...

Offline Maxflight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2009, 12:38:00 PM »
We've employed most of the above mentioned. Here's a twist combining plastic golf balls and powder. My neighbor and I fill one of the golf balls with powder then put tape over the hole and put it in a coffee can with 6 others without. Fling the can so the balls radomly disperse. We pick a ball an shoot, but the one who hits the powder ball is the one that supplies the aiming fluid when it gets too dark to shoot.
The measure of a man is by his actions, not his words.

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2009, 12:46:00 PM »
Paintballs sat on top of golf-tees are a giggle (If a little messy)

I haven't looked to see if you can get them here, but back in The Motherland we used to shoot at Trebor Extra Strong Mints. They're about 1" round & dissappear in a puff of white dust if you hit one wth a blunt!
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline unclewhit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2009, 02:10:00 PM »
I'm with "mcgroundstalker" on this one, a buddy's arrows are always great targets, and always worth a few giggles. Just remember that what comes around usually comes back around.
unclewhit
Bob lee signature series
Schafer Silvertip
Howard Hill "Tembo"

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2009, 02:27:00 PM »
Almost empty cans of "great stuff" - that expanding foam. Super gratifying oozing spray of death! Clean-up is a bear though! LOL
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2009, 02:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by champ38:
I like to shoot the stuffed animals.. I can buy a garbage bag full at the thrift store for just $2-3.00, and they come in all shapes and sizes(some even as big as 3-d targets)...Oh and I can relate to giggling like a kid thing....My neighbors think Im "sick"
My kid's got one of those "tickle me elmo" dolls. I don't think she'd miss it (too much). Oh, the temptation! Maybe I should set it on fire first...   :help:
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2009, 04:01:00 PM »
Just goes to show how much fun archery can be, great ideas guys .
Charlie , now I feel better about all the misses I have ever made cause my arrow went a long ways as well.

Offline frankwright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2009, 08:35:00 PM »
I use Havoline motor oil in all my vehicles. It comes in black plastic five quart flat jugs. I wash them out and stuff them full of plastic grocery sacks and set them all around the yard.

The arrow will penetrate but the bags slow it way down. The jugs fly when you hit them and to me are just like a small black pig.   :D

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2009, 11:34:00 PM »
Family left me today to go visit an amusement park and group event..... Me and the little yorkie terrier decided to open our own amusement park in the yard. I threw the tennis balls for her to fetch for a while and when she got bored I threw them out about 15 yds or so for myself and the , " Hammers ". Them things are devastating, even on the heavy balls from the pet store. Already torn holes in them. Sure is fun to watch them tennis balls go flying after hit with a "Hammer "

nocams  :biglaugh:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline 2Knives

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2009, 11:52:00 PM »
Me and my boy would set up animal crackers in the yard and go on Safari with our Red Ryder bb guns....guess that would work for the bow also!!!
I have chased a butterfly around the yard before.
At night, have somebody hold a laser pointer on something...leaf, blade of grass, tree stump, etc....its kinda fun too
USAF AMMO Retired

Shoot True!!!
Don't Squat with your Spurs on!

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2009, 12:09:00 AM »
I Use Styrofoam Balls, in Varios Sizes, Painted  DayGlow Orange!!   :scared:  
   NOBODY  Moves until  ALL  of the Orange Balls have been Shot!
Terrific Time Killer, and  BIG  Fun at the Same time!!  :archer:  
    LOTS O' FUN , Especially When The  WIND  Is Blowing Out on My Uncles Farm!! Ya get Some "Moving Targets" which is a Blast in itself!!  :goldtooth:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline marlon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2009, 02:11:00 PM »
Nice machine. I know that sad archery range. Marlon
marlon torres

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©