3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Decisions..Decisions??  (Read 480 times)

Offline blueslfb

• Trad Bowhunter
Decisions..Decisions??
« on: July 08, 2009, 03:58:00 PM »
A few years ago I suffered a neck injury during a training at work that consisted of a herniated disk in my neck. I did not have any long lasting negative affects until now.  I am two months away from my second Montana elk hunt and I have found myself loosing strength in my right shoulder and tricep. Up until the last week I have pulled my 62# longbow with ease and was shooting good out to 25yds. Now I find myself struggling to pull my bow and I can't get to full draw and my accuracy is not acceptable to hunt elk.

I have a doctor's appointment on the 13th to discuss my options for treatment. I am struggling with the decision to go and hunt with my compound or just cancel and go when I can hunt the way I want to.  What would you guys do??? I am really struggling with this right now because I have no real desire to hunt with my compound.  In my book I feel like I would be cheating to hunt with my compound after all the work I have put in to become proficient with my longbow.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Decisions..Decisions??
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 04:06:00 PM »
Is a lower poundage bow an option?

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 04:08:00 PM »
It sounds like you have already answered your own question.
Go to the doctor and see what he (she) says, then decide for sure.  Good luck to you!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 04:13:00 PM »
Just use the compound, dont miss your hunt you may not be here tomorrow. I love these stick bows as much as anyone else but i love to hunt. If i ever get to where i cant pull them back i will hunt with whatever is legal.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 04:14:00 PM »
Do you have actcess to a lighter bow. A 52# bow would drop an elk just as good as a 62# bow.

I know two months is a short time to get used to a bow but i have a 54# @ 29" (51# @ 28") recurve that i would be happy to lone you for this hunt if needed, you could just ship it back after you take your elk.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline blueslfb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 09:01:00 PM »
I really appreciate the offer WTPOPS but I have a 45lb bow that I can't get to full draw either and I only pull to 27". I found that I lack that extra strength to pull thru with my shoulders and back to lock into my anchor. I think I will just take my compound this year and work on getting my strength back for deer season.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 09:07:00 PM »
go hunt.... heal up then come back to the fold.

Joe

See a Chiropractor  ASAP.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 09:21:00 PM »
herniated neck discs are nothing to take lightly - my wife has three, and it's radically changed her life over the last ten years.  these dayze, surgery is NOT an option for any herniated neck discs.  get the opinions of at least three qualified docs.  until then, STAY AWAY from pulling string.  period.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 09:24:00 PM »
Have you considered seeing a chiropractor?(SP)
I had a herniated disk in my lumbar region and gentle adjustment moved it back into place in under a year. I noticed improvement to the point of being able to return to work,etc. within a month.It's 15 years later and the bulging disk hasn't returned.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 09:57:00 PM »
Sean, Like has been said a Chiropractor is a good option as well.  I have lower back problems for the last 10 years and every time they start to come back a few trips to the Chiropractor and I am off and running again.  I can refer you to a great one here in Holland if you want to go that route.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 10:07:00 PM »
Blueslfb...  Sounds like you're pretty sure it's your disc, but just for the record, if you've been taking cholesterol medicine, any statin based drug, for a long time, it can cause you to suddenly lose your strength. This is one of the known, but rarely emphasized, statin side effects and is why I ended up shooting 19# instead of 52#.   I've spent the last year working back up to 32#.   So, if you've been taking statins for a long time, notify your doctor if you feel you're losing strength.   I ended up telling my doctor if it was a choice between being that weak or rising a stroke, I'd take the stroke.  This led to his ordering an ultra sound test of the carotid artery, which showed that while I have a high "free" cholesterol in my blood, none of it is sticking to my arteries, which are as good as a teenagers!  I never needed the Lipitor in the first place.   If this info helps you or anyone, it was worth posting....
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline blueslfb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 02:00:00 AM »
I know it is a herniated disk because when it first happened I had an MRI that showed my C5-C6 disk was herniated. I explored the Chiropractor option but being married to an RN I have decided to go the MD way.  My wife has taken care of two patients that ended up paralized from chiropractic care. Thanks for the info Dick but I have not taken any of those meds yet.

For the record never volunteer for anything!!! Especially when a taser is involved.  If you see the little red dot(laser aimer) just give up!!!  It ain't worth it trust me. I volunteered to take the ride and 5 seconds turned into a lifetime of problems.

Offline Kevin Breaux

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 02:56:00 AM »
Been there done that got the T-shirt, I have had five cervical neck fusions with titanium plates, from C4 to C7, having to redo C4 to C5 because I had to hunt four months after that one surgery. Choose health over hunting every time, till you are strong enough!

Offline Kevin Breaux

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 02:58:00 AM »
Just have to restate the seriousness of these injuries, Please take a camera to the field this year, do it for your future!

Offline jesse cales

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2009, 03:01:00 AM »
i had surgery 4 weeks ago for 2 ruptured discs in my neck.same as you,i lost strength in my right shoulder and tricep.i also had numbness from the elbow down.my strength returned just a few days after surgey.

Offline SpikeMaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2009, 08:03:00 AM »
Simple answer. Go to the doctor and get yourself healed up. Hunting isn't as important as your health.

Offline rbbhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2009, 08:20:00 AM »
I had a vertebrae fusion in my neck because of a ruptured disc about 4 years ago.  Took care of the pain in my arms and I actually have more rotation in my neck then before the surgery.  Go to the doctor and see a good surgeon.  By the way, a neurosurgeon said to stay away from a chiropractor for neck problems but they are OK for lower back problems.
RBBHUNT
"Those who will trade liberty for
security, deserve niether" B. Franklin (a long time ago and still valid)

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2009, 11:10:00 AM »
A compound has to be pulled as well, and will not be any easier on the shoulder/neck, etc.  I would lay off until it's healed, or you may not be able to pull any bow down the road.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2009, 12:00:00 PM »
For me, pulling a compound is more stressful on my shoulders and neck than pulling my trad bow. Getting past that rollover caused me my first shoulder pain, years ago, only pulling about 60#.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Wallcrawler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2009, 12:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by rbbhunt:
I had a vertebrae fusion in my neck because of a ruptured disc about 4 years ago.  Took care of the pain in my arms and I actually have more rotation in my neck then before the surgery.  Go to the doctor and see a good surgeon.  By the way, a neurosurgeon said to stay away from a chiropractor for neck problems but they are OK for lower back problems.
I was trying to stay out of this one,but now I have to say something.  I am a Chiropractor and take offense at the regurgitation of what an uniformed Neurosurgeon said about another profession.  I have a good working relationship with local nuerosurgeons and other medical docs in my area and we cross refer frequently.  There are no reputable studies to back up what this one neurosurgeon said so lets just leave him out of the conversation.  Truth is that some cases require no treatment, some require small or large intervention and some require a combination of everything available.  The only good advice is to have a thorough evaluation by the most qualified doctors you trust and are willing to listen to.  The advice given by these professionals will either help you along or require you to seek other opinions, we are all too different with too diverse a problem set to just blanket diagnose and treat.
I wish you the best of luck with your injury and hope that this does not interfere with your upcoming hunt and that you make a full lifelong recovery.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©