3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How many of you are 100% BH's?  (Read 590 times)

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
How many of you are 100% BH's?
« on: July 08, 2009, 06:49:00 PM »
Come a certain time of year.....how many of you switch to 100% BH's for all of your shooting?  I used to do that with the compound, but I'm honestly asking myself if it's necessary, now.  I know my setup is in tune.  I had to really learn how to do it (tuning).  I have confidence I have the right length arrow; right tip weight and proper spine.

Is there really a reson to shoot ALL BH's, IF you're confident they're impacting with your FP's?  

I plan to make up a dozen arrows next week, and I'll order more BH's if there's a valid reason.  I just can't think of one.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How many of you are 100% BH's?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 06:55:00 PM »
Funny that you just posted this... I switched to ONLY broadhead shooting last week. Yes, about every July I do this.  I want NO issues come September 15th with my arrow flight or my "sight picture".  

For years until I started to shoot in a indoor trad league I only shoot broadheads year round.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 07:07:00 PM »
Sight picture is a good point.

Thanks.

I'm not aligning my BH's with my fletchings, but I am going to orient them the same way for my sight picture.  I suppose a constant would trump switching back and forth.

Thanks, again.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 08:45:00 PM »
I do it about mid August.It`s a confidence thing.

I KNOW everything is tuned...I know my broadheads and field points land in the same spot...and I know it isn`t necessary. But I still do it.

Confidence is as important as my broadhead being as sharp as possible.

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 08:53:00 PM »
I would never shoot field points on anything,wheels or trad,but targets are     :eek:        :scared:        :readit:     priced,so I usually keep a couple BHs handy and screw them into the SAME arrows I shoot with all year long.I'll do this periodically throught the year,but usually 3-5 times a week during September.

I want no surprises come gameday.    :archer:
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 08:59:00 PM »
imo, if yer broadhead arrows fly well, there's no consuming need to shoot them all the time, nor is it at all practical.  case in point is roving in the woods or out in the fileds, where you want judos and not broadheads.  

i have no problem setting up my carbons to fly the same for both types of heads.  

i shoot almost every day at 30, 20 and 15 yards with judos into a suspended rug "matt".  

at least once a month i'll switch heads to woodsmans, just to confirm i'm still point on with the same arrows (currently, 605 grains total weight).
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 09:04:00 PM »
In colo our Colo Bow hunters asso has a BIG jamboree the third week end of July (you should come). After that I shoot almost only BH's.  My gear is tuned so that does not make a difference  but looking down the shaft of a arrow and seeing a BH is differnet than seeing a field tip...I ony have so much RAM in my brain I don't want to be distracted by seeing something I'm not used to seeing when the moment comes....  so I shoot BH's after mid July.

Joe
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline djanko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 09:18:00 PM »
I can honestly say that come early september, I will take 6-12 shoots with the best spinned arrows I have and that's it.  I've been doing it for 25+ years and haven't had any real problems.  I thing practice with BH's is over rated.  The only thing that matters to me is practice and form.

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 09:21:00 PM »
I shoot my wooden arrows with broadheads enough that I KNOW they are flying good and impacting where they should.  Then I put'em up and sharpen them up until hunting season.  In the next couple of weeks I pull out the 3-d target and pretty much shoot at it only.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 09:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by joe ashton:
I... My gear is tuned so that does not make a difference  but looking down the shaft of a arrow and seeing a BH is differnet than seeing a field tip...I ony have so much ROOM in my brain I don't want to be distracted by seeing something I'm not used to seeing when the moment comes....  
i guess i'm lucky that even though i see the shaft 'n' head in my peripheral vision, all i'm totally focused on the 'spot'.  the kinda head stuck on the shaft don't matter at all.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Heavysquirrel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 10:30:00 PM »
I hardly ever use FP's for Practice  Not because there is any differance --just got BH's on all my arrows
Archery Traditions Canebrake
62# @28
26" Draw
27.25" Gold Tip 5575
225gr head weight

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 10:39:00 PM »
Not me.  I do practice with broadheads in a sand pit.  They hit exactly the same as field points or judos (I do keep the head weight the same on all three)
I shoot field tips at my 3D targets because broadheads tear them up too bad.  Since they fly the same I can't see any reason to do that.  But actually most of my practice in the fall is stumping with a judo.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 11:06:00 PM »
Never see the arrow or BH at all. Total concentration instead on the "spot".
Glue-on BH's require spin testing and balancing so they fly straight. Where the BH lines up is where it's shot.
Stumpshoot judos all year at varying distances to 40 yards. Maybe (6) BH's before the season to make sure they're on.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 11:11:00 PM »
I am positive my broadheads shoot well from my hunting bow before I will hunt with them but this only takes a shot or 2. After that, as long as my broadhead arrows spin well there is no reason they shouldn't shoot well. All of my other shooting is with field points. At 20 yards my broadhead arrows ans field point arrows shoot the same.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 11:19:00 PM »
I tune by bareshafting then fletch up and shoot broadheads to check my tune. I use FP's from there on out but do shoot broadheads occasionally to just be sure everything is well.. I hit the same with both, a month or so before season I will shoot all my broadhead tipped arrows to be sure nothing has changed, then I sharpen them up and keep those arrows as my huntin arrows, I will use diffrent arrows with fp to practice from there on out..
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2009, 11:27:00 PM »
I shoot all of the broadheads that go in my quiver to hunt before the hunt. I start shooting them a month or so in advance. I learned the hard way that just because they weigh the same does not mean they shoot the same. I shoot my "hunters" a few times to check flight, resharpen them and then shoot other BH's to practice until the season arrives.
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Schultzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2009, 12:33:00 AM »
Always have, always will!! It's better to know for sure then to not know for sure (possibly a mind game). From what I can tell they fly exactly the same but I still switch It up a month before the season.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2009, 01:51:00 AM »
My first shot of the day everytime I shoot is with my present hunting setup. Broadhead and all.
 As others have said I don`t see the head when I shoot and have more than once shot a broadhead in a stump instead of a judo when out walking by not paying attention to the arrow I pulled out.

I do almost all my practice with a judo. But the first shot of the day is a snuffer.RC

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2009, 03:47:00 AM »
My tuninig is made in the way I get the BHs and field points to hit the same spot.So I practice with field points and from time to time I check my Blades,but I am really confident on their accuracy.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Online non-typical

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2009, 05:25:00 AM »
My broadheads fly the same as my field points so I shoot field points and keep the broadheads sharp in the quiver for hunting.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Tradgang member #160

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©