3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: safety belt question  (Read 434 times)

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
safety belt question
« on: July 08, 2009, 07:21:00 PM »
Which safety belt is the simplest/safest to use?  So many on the market.  Tried about a dozen over the past 25 years, really did not like any of them.  Opinions welcome.

jf
Hill

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: safety belt question
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 07:25:00 PM »
I used the HSS for the past 2 seasons.

I sold the pro mesh HSS when I saw the Muddy Outdoors harness.  I'm waiting on an updated version, but I'll order as soon as they become avail.

Offline frankwright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 07:34:00 PM »
I also sold my HSS Pro mesh vest, it was a very good, easy to put on vest. It was comfortable to wear but very heavy.

I bought the Muddy Outdoors harness also. I have tried it on but not been in a tree yet. It is easy to put on, much lighter and I think it will work well.
GMMAT, I talked to the owner of MO and the only change to the vest is reducing the chest belt from 2" to 1". I went ahead and bought one.

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 07:54:00 PM »
That's what I was waiting for, Frank (that size reduction).  Since they're out of stock on my size, anyways.....it makes the wait easier.

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 10:03:00 PM »
HSS vests are the easiest out there to use without a doubt which is the main reason that I go with them.  My son and I have the Treestalker model but the Pro mesh are awsome too.  Went with that model because I wanted to be sure that he would use it everytime he got in a tree.  Keepin' it simple is the best way. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 10:19:00 PM »
I use a SOP Fastback and find it lightweight and easy to use.  I don't know that the same model is being made anymore.  If you go with the HSS, be sure to get the model with the leg straps that attach at the sides of the harness rather than the front and back.  VERY important!
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Forrest Creature 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 11:21:00 PM »
I am alive today because of my SEAT OF THE PAINTS saftey harness. I reached for my backpack around the backside of the tree and the next thing i remember i was hanging from my harness 25 feet in the air and not on the ground.It is what i wear and what i trust my life to but as long as you wear one thats what counts.Just get a good one dont look at the price, cause its alot cheaper than a hospital bill.Good hunting

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 05:50:00 AM »
HSS.

Hands down the best there is.Easiest to use,pockets,reversible.Doubles as a deer drag too (I'm sure they all do though).
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 06:19:00 AM »
And i like the seat of the pants fastback deluxe...easy on & off.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 06:59:00 AM »
Whichever one you chose, practice "falling" just a few feet off the ground (like, just barely so your feet don't touch when the rope is extended fully). You will be amazed how many "good" systems are excruciatingly painful under real circumstances. Also, practice getting back on your steps after the fall; it sounds easier to do than it is and the last place you want to "learn" what angle to set your rope is when you are 20+ feet up and hanging on for your life.

Hunt safe.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 10:14:00 AM »
SOP here. And what JC says Practice.

I have 2 sets of pursik knots on each safety line.
The extra one works as an excellent foot hold if needed.  Found this out during a practice session.
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline Fallguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 09:03:00 PM »
JC has some good advice there the biggest problem is that most people do not adjust the harness properly. They leave it to loose. It is much more comfortable when you adjust the position of the straps going around the legs when gravity strikes!!!  :scared:
"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught" Baba Dioum  Conservationist

Offline Running Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 09:25:00 PM »
This is one subject that doesn't get enough talk. I talk to a lot of guys who want to cheap out when buying fall protection with the attitude that will never happen to me. Nobody ever plans on a fall but certainly wants to come home from one. You need a good harness that fits well and some practice getting back on the stand right after the fall remember, hanging from a harness for any extended amount of time WILL kill you just as fast as the fall.

Offline albertan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 11:18:00 PM »
Have used the HSS religiously the last 2 years.  Easy to use and that helps convince yourself (and others) to use it ALL the time.
Brent
2015 Alberta Bowhunters Assoc. President

Offline caleb7mm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2009, 12:38:00 PM »
I have used the hss for 4 years now. The last year I used the mesh one. I like the mesh a whole lot better. I fell once in the original hss I had and everything went fine.
Hoyt Dorado 45&50lb

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2009, 02:59:00 PM »
I use the Summit one - I like the idea of the Hunters Safety System and looked at them at a store - the weight is like ten pounds (Felt like 3 lbs per buckle)- to heavy for me to haul around.

Offline yekrut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2009, 03:43:00 PM »
I started useing the hss , last fall and really like it. It is quick . easy and quiet! It works well.
There are many good moccasin tracks along the trail of a straight arrow: ( fox )

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2009, 09:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by Forrest Creature 1:
I am alive today because of my SEAT OF THE PAINTS saftey harness. I reached for my backpack around the backside of the tree and the next thing i remember i was hanging from my harness 25 feet in the air and not on the ground.It is what i wear and what i trust my life to but as long as you wear one thats what counts.Just get a good one dont look at the price, cause its alot cheaper than a hospital bill.Good hunting
So true a statement. If you can't get one now, them drop me a line. I have extras.

I use ther Screaming Eagle harness and love it. There are alot of good ones, just wear one.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2009, 08:14:00 PM »
Warrior,  get away from using the term " safety belt".  They had their day and that day is past. There are any number of fall restraint harnesses available that will actually save your life should you fall, and if used correctly, can assist you greatly in accessing a tree and in safely hanging your gear.  They have gotten better and more comfortable and even more user friendly.  I still use Seat of the Pants cause that is what was available when this change over started.  As above, there are many versions available.

Cost used to be a huge issue, and still is to some.  I have spent time hanging from safety belts and harnesses,   my own choice,  in training young hunters.  I believe I have experience that few others here have regarding this.  I believe you should purchase a good fall restraint devise based upon its quality, its features and its ease of use to you.  Only at that point that you have chosen based on those criterion should you look at the price tag.

Even a short fall can kill you or screw you up a bunch.  Why do we always risk it all because a "safety belt" is only $15 and a harness is $85 dollars ?  I think it is because we just don't know what will happen if we fall and believe in the best.

I do. . . .    wear the harness, every time.
ChuckC

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2009, 04:14:00 PM »
Treestand manufacturers include "Fall restraint devices" (sorry, I call them all safety belts) with a new stand. They don't put just the "belt type " restraints in them. They are all harness style. But I think you already figured that out. Once again, I have extras if you need one.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©