3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need Help with Choosing a Quiver....  (Read 410 times)

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
Need Help with Choosing a Quiver....
« on: July 08, 2009, 11:56:00 PM »
Hey all,

I am trying to get set for some pig hunting this year in south Florida and one thing that I haven't decided on yet is what quiver to use.  I am hoping you all can give me some pointers about some of the different quivers out there and what would be the best one for me to get.

First, I don't like bow quivers.  I also CANNOT USE a back quiver because of a permanent back condition.  Sure I can carry my arrows in a back quiver, but I can't reach them when they are on my back.  So the back quiver is out.

I guess that leaved the side quiver or one of the quivers that is on the belt and straps to the leg.

Some of the ones I am thinking about are:

1.  The GFA Quiver
2.  DawgWare Quiver
3.  Safari Tuff
4.  Great Northern Sidekick
5.  Quiver and Possibles Bag combo
6.  High Noon Hunter Quiver
7.  One of the leather Side Stalker type
8.  Spot-n-Stalk Pack

What I am concerned about is carrying extra stuff in the woods with me.  I am not going to be carrying a LOT of stuff where I would need a separate back pack or one of the hunting type packs, but I think I might have a use for at least some extra room to carry a few things just in case.  I don't want to have packs and stuff hanging all over me.
Sometimes I think a quiver like the Spot-n-Stalk quiver would be perfect and other times I think that just a simple GFA quiver would be the best and lightest way to go.
Lastly, I am in SOUTH FLORIDA and it's HOT down here.  That is certainly a factor in what quiver I am going to choose.

So that's about all I can think of.  Can you make heads or tails out of it and give me some of your ideas and recommendations?  What works well for you?  Has anyone used the Spot-n-stalk quiver and if you have, how do you like it and how well does it work?

Any advice you can give me about selecting the right quiver would really be appreciated.

Thanks for your time and help.

Nala

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need Help with Choosing a Quiver....
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 12:15:00 AM »
Quiver Caddy works for me. No straps, simple on/off hang on design....don't even need a special belt.  Can be worn with nearly any pack if need to.....and no straps around the neck.  

My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Zmonster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 12:56:00 AM »
I say the possibles bag combo would work well for what you want. I like to keep it light as well, and the possible bag from German Ridge keeps me from packing too much gear. Just the essentials.

Regards,
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 07:08:00 AM »
A small quiver attached to the possibles bag is a good combo where you'd only have to deal with one strap.  3Rivers sells one and a few sponsors can make them  ;)

The Dawgware and Safari Tuff are great quivers with some storage capacity.  I think the Dawgware is a little better in that aspect, but the Safari Tuff gets my overall nod for the better quiver.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline SpikeMaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 07:26:00 AM »
I use the Dawgware and really like it. It replaced my hunting and practice quiver. I got it instead of the Arrowmaster because it has more and bigger pockets and I carry a lot of stuff when I'm out shooting and hunting. It was also a bit cheaper because I bought it directly from the man who builds them.

I'm sure the Arrowmaster is an excellent quiver judging from what everyone here has said about it that has one.

I hate bow quivers, I don't like the extra weight on my longbow. I don't like the practice quivers that hang from my belt either anymore. They bounce around and make to much noise even though I'm just practice shooting.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 07:37:00 AM »
I started using an Arrowmaster last year and am sold.  I've been through a lot of different style quivers, and this is the most functional one I have tried.  

The pocket is large enough to take pretty much everything you need for short hunts if you want to go without a pack.  You can see details on my website here:
 http://www.prairietrad.com/page1.html

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 08:15:00 AM »
The Safari- Tuff Arrowmaster.  If you want a smaller version, I think Rod has one about ready for the market--smaller, lighter, holds less arrows.  You'd probably need a small fanny pack for acessories with that one.

I use my AM for hunting, tournaments, etc.  Best all-around quiver I've ever used.

Chad

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 08:17:00 AM »
I like the Safari Tuff quiver a lot. I also used a home made GFA style for over 20 years that has server me very well. i have not used the Quiver Caddy that Mark mentioned above, but it looks to be an excellent design.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 08:27:00 AM »
I sure like my Safari Tuff Arrowmaster!It is now my favorite.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 09:57:00 AM »
I use a HNH quiver and love it. I hunt south florida year round and have found it very adaptable in the stand or on the ground.  I have the greywolf model. My back pack is frequently bulky due to the amount of water I carry,the full bug suit.

Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 10:00:00 AM »
I use a HNH quiver and love it. I hunt south florida year round and have found it very adaptable in the stand or on the ground.  I have the greywolf model. My back pack is frequently bulky due to the amount of water I carry,the full bug suit.

Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 10:28:00 AM »
I built a possibles bag/quiver last week for about $25. Got the canvas bag from an Army/Navy store for $10 and a used Kwikee Quiver for $15. Biggest difference in mine is that you can pivot the quiver any direction you want and it'll stay there. My biggest problem with this type of quiver was that the arrows catch on things when you're in tight quarters so I built mine to pivot. This way if it's tight or stalking time you can turn the fletchings up and slide the bag around behind your hip and it's good to go. I love the fact that I can switch to a blunt easily with the quiver right there and you can carry as much or as little stuff inside as you need. IMHO the best way to go.
Forgot to add that the canvas bag is a WHOLE lot lighter than the leather bags.
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

"BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW"

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 10:47:00 AM »
I would go with the Dawgware or Arrowmaster. I use a Dawgware "Timo" lite and a small fanny pack. What I like about these two quivers as well as the Asbell type is when going through thick brush you can pull it under your arm or slide it behind you. With the hip style quivers like Mr.Baker uses I don`t think it will be that way. Thats from just looking at the pics.

Also in the South you can get sunburned and drenched in rain in the same hour so The Arrowmaster and Dawgware would be a plus for arrow protection. RC

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 11:02:00 AM »
Larry (Nala),

Not meaning to be nosey, but what is the basis for your dislike of bow quivers?

I have tried pretty much all of the strap, buckle, clip, zip, back, hip, pocket... whatevers, and always come back to my bow quivers.

I do quite a bit of still/stalk hunting in thick stuff. I have always had trouble weaving myself through the brush without a quiver or arrows sticking out somewhere. For me, a bow quiver is easier. The bow goes through: the arrows go through. I find it hard to put the last few feet on a stalk (low crouch, hand on the strig with moderate pressure) and be able to wigggle a side or back quiver through. If your hand is on your quiver, it can't be on the string.

Now... this is me. I hunt the thick bottomlands where having to get down on all fours to get through a briar patch is fairly common. I have buddies that use other styles of quivers and shinney through just as easy as I do. If you just don't like bow quivers or can't hit your mark with one on your bow, that's the way it is.

I have found that all bow quivers are not equal. I think all of mine are either Selway or Eagles Flight models. Good products that attach tightly to the bow with pretty much no vibration or noise. I have one for each bow so don't interchange quivers. Since each bow has a set of arrows tuned to it, the arrows stay with the bows.

Just thought I might add some alternate suggestions. Everyone else is spot-on and has good advice. All the ones mentioned are great products (I have most of them myself) but for day in and day out hunting. I still go with the bow quiver.

Good luck in your search.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2009, 11:30:00 AM »
I like alot of different stuff for different kinds of hunts,but the one I keep going back to is the Mark Baker style of hip/belt mounted quiver. I must say that I did not buy one from Mark but copied his idea. Depending on the quiver you can carry 3 to 7 arrows which should do the trick. When you want to take it off its fast and silent....it just plain works well!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2009, 12:00:00 PM »
By the way, Shortstroke thats a nice deal you made with the canvas bag... mite have to try that design...well done.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2009, 03:43:00 PM »
The Arrowmaster is a great choice for getting the arrows off the bow.  I don't like bow quivers either, but I've found that nothing is as trouble free, convenient, or as quick as my Kanati Angle Quiver for hunting hot weather in thick stuff on the ground.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2009, 04:18:00 PM »
Ah, the great quiver debate......

My two favorites:

Arrowmaster - best all-around (and for bad weather)
H-N-H - Love this quiver for summer shoots.

If I had to pick one (and I won't), it would be Rod's.  Bobby makes a beauty though - and I am proud to own and use one.

My 33"-35" arrows just don't work with bow quivers..... especially on a 56" Shrew    :saywhat:
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2009, 12:56:00 AM »
www.kanatiquiver.com

Check out the Kanati hip mount for our Kanati Angle Quiver under the products page.

Offline Bowhuntah

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2009, 01:07:00 AM »
Where's the Kwikee love?  

Everybody loves archery... some just haven't tried it yet.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©