3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sold my wheel bow  (Read 275 times)

Offline bucksakemmer

• Trad Bowhunter
Sold my wheel bow
« on: July 09, 2009, 12:13:00 PM »
OK I sold my compound so I quess I've gone from involved to committed. That said I am currently shooting a Roy Hall Azrec and have the "wants" for a takedown long bow. I like the Pronghorn and the the ACS... your thoughts on these please for a takedown bow.

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sold my wheel bow
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 02:13:00 PM »
"thoughts"...

Can you make Denton Hill ?? It's 2 weeks from today and you can get your hands one many bows,nothin like hands on to tell what "YOU" like or don't in a bow.

Good luck
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline crandog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 02:26:00 PM »
Eggs or ham?  The chicken made a contribution but the pig made a commitment.

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 08:46:00 PM »
Haven't shot either of them, but I have a Wes Wallace T/D Royal Longbow that shoots extremely well!
And my thoughts on selling your wheels.....
   :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
never should have bought it to start with!
Congrats on becoming a Bowhunter!

Offline Bowtie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 10:51:00 PM »
John,
I can only speak about the Pronghorn. I have a 3-pc. takedown, 62" and 1-pc. 62". Both of my Pronghorns are extremely quiet, smooth drawing, and are quick. I have other bows, but the Pronghorn 3-pc. is one of my favorites. I'm considering selling my 1-pc. because I find myself shooting the 3-pc. most of the time. Best of luck on your decison.
The work praises the man.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 11:11:00 PM »
They call me, " NoCams" for a reason, haha !

My son and I shot trad for a year before we decided to ditch the cams for good. Best decision we ever made.

nocams   :readit:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline huntindad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 12:12:00 AM »
I'm with ya sold my compound last week my new Whisperstick Mojostik  is AWESOME!!! Bill
The days spent hunting cannot be deducted from  the span of your life's time.

Offline Broken Arrow 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 12:57:00 AM »
I started with an old recurve at age seven bought my first wheel bow at age 22 shot it for about a year and a half gave it away and have not looked back since. Obviously we all know the joy and feeling off shooting a trad bow IT'S AWSEOME!!!!! So I guess Im saying congrats! If I had to pick between the acs and the pronghorn it would be both! They are both awseome shooting bows you cant go wrong either way.
Its not the size of the animal you hunt that matters. Its how you hunt the animal.

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 02:21:00 AM »
I am new to trad myself, but as far as the question about a T/D LB. I shot several of Mark Hornes bows and had to have one.

They are very nice and Mark is a sponsor here.

Paul
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 02:35:00 AM »
Never shot a Pronghorn-looks like a 1st rate bow.
My son and I share 4 ACS CX bows and have 1 more on order. The bows are smooth, quiet, and very fast. We have been shooting the ACS bows exclusively for several years-that really helps develop consistency.
The customer service has been great!

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 05:43:00 AM »
i love these kinda 'which bow?' threads.    :rolleyes:  

any and all good bows made today - particularly the ones you've mentioned - are gonna be significantly better than you, in terms of consistency and accuracy.  their quality of materials and build are superb, as well.

when it comes to archery tackle, the arrow is exceedingly far more important than a decent to superb bow.

SO - it all boils down to personal subjective likes/dislikes.    

one piece or take down?  if yer ever gonna fly out to hunt, think strongly about a take down, otherwise don't bother spending the extra dollars.

ymmv - but it shouldn't!    :wavey:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 07:41:00 AM »
"when it comes to archery tackle, the arrow is exceedingly far more important than a decent to superb bow."

There's alot to be said for that statement If ya only have 100$$ to spend, spend 80 of it on arrows and 20 on a garage sale bow

Really ya outta take a day trip to Denton you could shoot 10,000$$ worth of bows for the cost of admission which is cheap...4 full days of unlimited shooting is only 36 bucks or a 5 dollar per day max @ 10$ spectator fee will get ya into the vender booths.

Only "YOU" can truely say whats right for "YOU"

good luck
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 11:46:00 AM »
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:
[qb] i love these kinda 'which bow?' threads.      :rolleyes:    

any and all good bows made today - particularly the ones you've mentioned - are gonna be significantly better than you, in terms of consistency and accuracy.  their quality of materials and build are superb, as well.

when it comes to archery tackle, the arrow is exceedingly far more important

Enough said!!!
Find one that you shoot well and stick with it.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 12:30:00 PM »
I agree that there are very few bows that aren't good ones.  Fit is the most important aspect, not dollars spent.  If you have already limited yourself to two brands, you have significantly stymied your ability to find the right bow...or two 8^).  There are some great used bows on the Tradgang classifieds.  You will find ACS there, BW, Whispersticks, Bob Lee, and myriad quality bows at probably 60% or less of the new cost.
Buying an expensive bow without shooting one is just plain silly....as is buying just about any bow without shooting that bow.

There's much more to a bow than cost/looks/name, etc.  How does it feel in your hand?  Does it feel great on the draw to your anchor?  If a recurve, does it open nicely as you near full draw?  How does it react on release?  And all this is after you have found the perfect brace and nock height for your arrow and shot it a few times.

And don't take anyones word that their model is the greatest thing since sliced bread.  It may well be to them, and be an awful clunker to you.
Spend some of that money to attend a shoot that has plenty of bows to try out.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2009, 04:10:00 PM »
The Pronghorn and the ACS are both very nice bows and awesome Bowyers but since you are just switching from a compound I think you would shoot the ACS better due to the grip . You can get the ACS in  a recurve type grip which should be more like what you were used to with your compound . As a side note , which ever you chose make sure you get the correct arrow spine for your bow and learn how to shoot it the right way be it by a experianced traditional archer or book/DVDS . I would recomend Masters of the Barebow 1 , 2 , and 3 for the DVD and Become the Arrow for the book . Shooting a Traditional bow is alot of fun but it can also be frustrating especialy when first switching over from the compound . You cant put the longbow up in the closet for the summer and pull it out a month or two before deer season like you can the compound but if you love to shoot like I do then shooting a traditional bow is not only fun its a passion . If you need any help do not hesitate to ask , there are plenty of good folks willing and wanting to help here at TRADGANG .     :archer:  

Mike
" Live long and prosper "

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©