3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: This Couldn't Have Happened..... Could It?  (Read 771 times)

Offline TomK

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: This Couldn't Have Happened..... Could It?
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2009, 03:00:00 PM »
Hello Danny!  Jay and I talked for a short time 25 years or so ago, and concluded that if we were related, it was distant.

PS:  Your book left here first thing this morning.  Let me know when it arrives.

Tom
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Life Member
PBS

Offline dan ferguson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2009, 03:53:00 PM »
Yes sir I can relate, took my grandson on his first deer hunt this past year, we were hunting some steep country, I would look behind and see him struggling and asked if he needed a short break he would say yes, while he was catching his breath I got to looking at him, wondering to myself, in a few short years he,ll be in frount asking Papa the same thing.

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2009, 06:40:00 PM »
I cain't help growing older, but they won't ever make me grow up.

My Grandda used to end every prayer,
    "One more day Lord to finish what I gotta, then another to do what I would like."

I always pray,
     "Lord don't let me die stupid!!"

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline ga_cis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2009, 06:47:00 PM »
Boys, I just started over at age 61.  Got a hickory self bow in April.  I have flung arras nearly every day since.  Broke two bows, now have a really pretty great shooting bamboo backed red cedar self bow and a mid 60's Wing recurve on the way.  Never had so much fun with all my cloths on.  

My hair is gray, my eyesight failing, my knees and shoulders hurt, but when I am shooting I feel just like I did when I was 16.

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2009, 06:56:00 PM »
Reminds me of a story I wrote:
The hunter is sitting in the cabin looking out at the night and thinking of the past.  He sees himself chasing a deer through the trees with his bow.  He is youg and strong.  When he leans back, he sees his reflection in the window.  Gray hair, beard and lots of wrinkles.  It startles him, "How is that, and how did he get to old".  
We all walk the same path, just be glad that you are still able to hobble down that path.

God Bless you all!

Offline TomK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2009, 07:18:00 PM »
acolobowhunter,

Wise words, my friend.  Thank you.
PBS

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2009, 08:01:00 PM »
I too see that old guy looking back at me.
But I do my best to ignore his aches and pains and deny his wanting to slow down and rest.
I still move like I did at 30, just not quite as long.
Don't have a gray hair on my head, as long as I shave the beard.
Can still out work my kids in there 20's, but we all know that don't take much these days.
And most of all I found a way to make the old guy look young again! (Just remove my glasses, and the wrinkles disappear!!)

And best of all, my wife says I don't look old at all, she says I'm just getting a little leathery!
I don't know.....maybe that's not a good thing.   :archer:

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2009, 08:09:00 PM »
I'm only 26 heading on 27 but i have the body of a 55 year old. Gotta love extreme sports and birth defects. But ill be out there until it all falls apart on some hillside and then ill rebuild it for one more. Good luck this season. Here's an old saying from my bmx days. Pain is temporary glory is forever. Its amazing what a few IBprophen will do.
Ohio Society of Traditional Archers #830

Tracey "TREE" Trickett 2 Pricly curves 3pc & pricly ash longbow won @ Great Ohio Rabbit Hunt

Offline Dick Langer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2009, 08:38:00 PM »
Well boys I've been reading what ya'll have been saying and I too wonder where all those years went I also was on bear quest III and Bill K. had me by two years, I was second oldest in camp. I too felt as young as the others even when it came time to carry the bear out of the woods. THAT'S MY STORY AND I'M STICKING TO IT! Yuo are as young as you think you are grand kids do that to you. I asked one of my 7yr old grand daugthers if she was going to dance with me on her wedding day,and with a stright face she said Popa you'll be dead. Not on my watch.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2009, 08:59:00 PM »
I`m 43 and I feel much as I did when I was 23.

I can`t eat the way I used to, and if I go too many days in a row without enough sleep, I really feel it, but other than that not too bad.

Langer, that was too funny!

Offline TomK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2009, 09:04:00 PM »
Dick,

That's pretty good!  Ahhh, you have had your medication today, haven't you?
PBS

Offline limbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2009, 09:44:00 PM »
It's not the amount of miles it's how they were put on.

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2009, 10:06:00 PM »
Turned 50 yesterday.  I don't feel any different but it sure feels like something has changed.  I work out quite a bit and can still wear the same cloths I did when I got married 24 years ago.  With all that said though, I just really can't believe I've been on the earth for half a century!  
I have a friend who was an Army Ranger in Vietnam, he's 62 and works out like he's 26.  I don't set the bar that high but he sure does give me hope!
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2009, 06:48:00 AM »
If I'd have known I was gonna last this long I'd have taken better care of myself.
  :readit:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline huey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2009, 07:30:00 AM »
That reminds me what my Dad would tell me alot  when I was a teenager. You wouldn't do that if you knew how long you are going to live. Now days he was right about alot more than I thought he was.

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2009, 07:45:00 AM »
As they always say, "getting older is far better than the alternative"!

Dick, you'll be swing dancing with that young lady. I'm sure you can out walk and out hunt most the guys half your age!

Offline SpikeMaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2009, 07:51:00 AM »
My problem is I'm 50, look like I'm 35, but I feel like I'm 70.

Offline Don Thomas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2009, 07:55:00 AM »
Tell me about it! I was looking through some old (not that old, actually) photos while putting a story together the other day and couldn't recognize the fit, trim, dark haired guy looking back at me through the loupe. I thought I was one of my kids! Nothing to do about it except work out every day and derive some comfort from the fact that even though it takes me longer to get up the mountain nowadays, I usually see more on the way. Cheers, Don

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2009, 08:07:00 AM »
As I set here, in my office, I look up at pictures of this young guy with a bear, elk and mulie and on the other wall there's this picture of this young guy and an older man with him and their whittail double and the old one is me!  I wouldn't trade a second of my past and I thank God every day for what I've seen and done and just pray I'll have more time to do a few more of them over again.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2009, 08:12:00 AM »
Easier to still hunt, young fellows will drag your game out for you, no pressure to be first up the mountain, you gotta love it. The older I get, the more I hunt - getting those rocking chair memories stored up.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©