3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ashby Single Bevel Broadheads anyone  (Read 836 times)

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
Ashby Single Bevel Broadheads anyone
« on: July 11, 2009, 12:05:00 AM »
Hello Guys, I wanted to know if any of u guys have shot this head.. They look very cool but i wanted to know how they work.. Any help would be great..........

Cody
We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Offline jimmerc

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ashby Single Bevel Broadheads anyone
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 02:02:00 PM »
Way to rich for my blood bud!!at close to 30.00 each i couldn't even shoot one in fear of losing it!! I do use the grizzlys elgrande 190s sharpened to the docs specs and love these!!
1- kajika stik combo,RC 55@28/LONGBOW 57@28 Both W/diamondback skins

1- monarch longbow royal 68" 59@28
1- bear kodak hunter-44@28

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 03:12:00 PM »
Cody,

A better option might be to support a local Michigan fella...Larry Hanify at Aboyer.  Those heads are very similar to the ones you are looking at.

Offline CEO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 03:36:00 PM »
Got some for Christmas. They are well made, sharp, & durable. Have not shot an animal with them, but they tear up foam. They spin through foam and make a large "S" shaped cut. At $30 each they are expensive, but less than a box of rifle ammo. Cost is not a problem if you don't miss (ha).

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 03:50:00 PM »
Less than a box of rifle ammo?   I don't know what rifle ammo you shoot, but mine is $14.97 for a box of 20.   8^).  

Cody....they will not do any better than a Grizzly that is shapened well.  Cost is, and never was, a good indicator of relative quality.
Those who care to delve into new BMW's as opposed to a Sebring, or Silverado, seem to like that shiney part of things, and if they have the expendible cash, that's great. But they will be no more effective than the old Grizzly...just more costly.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 07:32:00 PM »
Unless your hunting African style big game or one of the big bears, I wouldnt even consider them. There many affordable BH that are more than capable of killing any animal on this continent.

I would take the $90 and get/make a great set of arrows to put a rationaly priced BH on them.

FWIW-If I were going on one of those "leave nothing to chance" hunts, I would probably go with an A-Bowyer head.

Eric

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 09:57:00 PM »
thanks guys.... So there where just made mosty for hunting African game ?.....
We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 10:51:00 PM »
Cody,  the Ashby Report(s) led to the development of more single bevels.  They are not new, just rediscovered.  The Grizzly head has been around for decades and works very well, and will kill anything on the planet.

There have been some newer developments in material that have led to solid, stainless steel single bevels, but the cost is high.  Some folks can afford that and don't mind spending thirty bucks a piece for broadheads, and that's cool.  The only issue is when they are touted has the "only" or the "best"....as they are neither.
They are very good heads that someone put much time and development into.  Down the road there will be more Research and Development into single bevels I'm sure....and even more "to-die-for" broadheads.

The Ashby Report was based on large dangerous game, and there is no doubt that some of these new heads will benefit those folks hunting those critters.  That being said, double bevel broadheads have killed everything on Earth, and have done so very effectively.  You just have to decide how much of your liquid assets you wish to send to the seller.  There will be another mouse trap in a few months.....stay tuned.  8^).

It's all good Cody.  Nothing bad about choices.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 08:08:00 AM »
Hey Cody there is no magic bullet in archery.No broadhead can replace a well placed shot.Any 3.00 sharp broadhead in the heart will do the same job as any 30.00 broadhead.Fact is a field tip in the heart will do the same job as a broadhead...Shot placement is the key to a short blood trail.Pratice pratice pratice is the answer.bd

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 09:09:00 AM »
The Ashby broadheads are incredibly well made out of 440B stainless steel. They are just little knives with the same quality or better that you would pay for a $30 knife. Are they worth the cost based on quality? Absolutely! Do you positively need them for most (or any) hunting situations? Not really. The fact is that an inexpensive bow with fairly inexpensive arrows and broadheads will kill anything if you practice and are proficient enough in your shooting. Of course, that would eliminate most of the goodies that we here on TradGang get excited about. We don't need fancy bows, tree stands, clothing, accessories, arrows or broadheads, but it is always nice to own and use equipment that we don't have to have in order to harvest animals, especially if the equipment is of superior quality. There are bows, arrows, broadheads, optics and other equipment items that are better made than others, and we buy and use them because we can, not because we would be unable to make do with lesser products. There is no doubt in my mind that the Ashby broadheads are some of the very best on the market (I think they are the best of any for large and dangerous game) and will outperform and outlast most of the others. For smaller game, I agree that such things don't matter as much, and you would probably be better off buying broadheads that are less expensive and spending the money you save on other equipment. But if you do end up going after the biggest, baddest animals on the planet with a stick and string, I think it is money well spent to have the very best arrow/broadhead combination headed for the animal you are trying to kill. And I "practice what I preach". I bought 9 of the Ashbys and they will probably last me for as long as I will be physically capable of hunting. At about $300 they were expensive but less than the cost of two dozen custom arrows. I also bought 9 of the 300 Xtreem broadheads for almost as much money. The Abowyer, Grizzly, Tusker and several other broadheads are great too, and I shoot Stingers for deer, turkey and other more modest sized game animals. I admit that there are not too many situations where I am eager to sacrifice a $50 arrow for the possibility of hitting an animal, but there are some.

Cody, unlike most of the people here, I would encourage you to buy a pack of 3 of the Ashbys and try them out. For about $100 you will have the very best broadhead on the market, and they will last you virtually forever if you don't lose them. I bought some of the 300 grain single bevel Tusker Concordes from Braveheart that are great heads but fairly cheap, and I use the Tuskers for much of my shooting and save the Ashbys for the really special hunts. The Concordes fly pretty much the same as the Ashbys, and the Tuskers are really good heads, so you get a great combination of compatible heads without a huge investment. The single bevel concept does work, whether it is a Grizzly El Grande, Abowyer Brown Bear, or Tusker Concorde. They do a good job of making spiral ham in whatever target you shoot them into, whether foam or living tissue.

One of the big advantages of the Ashby and 300 Xtreem heads is that they are one piece and made entirely of stainless steel, so they are easy to maintain and they retain a great edge without problems of corrosion that you see on some other broadheads. Also, they come perfectly straight and spin true so that arrow flight is never a problem and they can't separate at a glue joint.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline L82HUNT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 10:19:00 AM »
amar911    :clapper:

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 10:33:00 AM »
Allen brought up some good points. But Cody you're a young guy, and probably don't have a lot of $$ to be spending $30 on a BH. I know you're big into finding and using old archery gear. To be honest,99%(by this I mean the biggest and heaviest boned critters) of the time I don't see where these will do anything that an old Bear razorhead wouldn't do.

As for them being "the very best bh on the market", again opinions vary and that's very debatable.

There's not a thing wrong with any of the time and field tested Zwickey's, Snuffers,Woodsman, Eclipse, Magnus,Stos, etc....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2009, 10:53:00 AM »
All broadheads, folks, need sharpened after they are shot.  I don't care if it's into foam, dirt, critters or rocks.  Once an edge is put into a target, it is compromised, and it needs fined down.   If you buy the Ashby heads, make sure you know how to sharpen those hard edges.  But then....you can always buy something especially made for that 8^).

Good luck Cody....there are lots of good products out there.

Offline Red Boar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2009, 10:58:00 AM »
I believe in buying the very best hunting equipment "I can afford".  That price point is different for everyone.    :readit:   Same with my hunt destinations.  I've always wanted to hunt Africa...given the financial means, I'd go as often as I could.  Thus far, I've never been. Someday...
Treadway "Black Swamp"
Super Shrew
'62 Kodiak Magnum

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2009, 11:03:00 AM »
Red Boar, that is a good idea, if one can really figure out what "best" means.  It certainly doesn't mean dollars spent.  You see, I would want my "best" broadhead to be time-proven, easily sharpened in the field with limited accouterments, and affordable.  My Bear Razorheads fit that bill, as do the Grizzly single bevels.  Both will spin as true as any head made as long as they are mounted correctly.

Once we start touting cost as a mark of quality, we miss the mark completely.

Offline Red Boar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2009, 11:28:00 AM »
Originally posted by George D. Stout:
Red Boar, that is a good idea, if one can really figure out what "best" means.  It certainly doesn't mean dollars spent.  You see, I would want my "best" broadhead to be time-proven, easily sharpened in the field with limited accouterments, and affordable.  My Bear Razorheads fit that bill, as do the Grizzly single bevels.  Both will spin as true as any head made as long as they are mounted correctly.

Once we start touting cost as a mark of quality, we miss the mark completely.
Notice how I said "best I can afford", not the most expensive. Folks sometimes confuse that.    There is plenty of information available to anyone who wants to spend a bit of time researching and then using your experiences in actual hunting situations to guide your decisions.     ;)  I've had hunting equipment (both expensive and inexpensive) that didn't live up to my expectations or its billing.  In general terms, however, you usually pay for quality...as our dads used to say, "aint no such thing as a free lunch".   :saywhat:
Treadway "Black Swamp"
Super Shrew
'62 Kodiak Magnum

Offline jimmerc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2009, 11:39:00 AM »
Cody, I would much rather see you spend you moneys for school,If you are in need of some time tested BHs, I have a bunch of different kinds you are more than welcome to have, test or what ever,they are all used but in good shape! drop me a pm and i'll let you know what i have and see if there is something you would like!! Jim
1- kajika stik combo,RC 55@28/LONGBOW 57@28 Both W/diamondback skins

1- monarch longbow royal 68" 59@28
1- bear kodak hunter-44@28

Offline Steel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2009, 01:32:00 PM »
\\

I have a few of the Ashby heads,Silver Flames,300gr Xtreme,Abowyers and tons of other broadheads.I guess you can say I am a broadhead collecter nice display in my Man room plus I shoot them in the field time to time. The high dollar heads I have are very nice like a fine custom knife ready to shave hair out of the package,they seem to hold a edge better than the cheaper broadheads I figure better steel used in them makes this so.Can a guy buy some grizzly heads spend some time,work, and sharpening skill to get them really sharp and kill anything walking I think so. Is there anything wrong with buying some better made, better steel, ready to hunt out of the package heads if you have the extra money I think that is fine too. I took over a dozen wild hogs last fall/spring, plus deer and turkey only lost one broadhead  so I view broadheads as a reuseable item so cost over time is not that much.I have friends that use a broadhead once and act like its no good anymore so buying a $30 head would not be smart for them.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2009, 07:24:00 PM »
This is the same kind of debate that goes on with optics, clothing, and all sorts of other equipment. Curt, no one needs Sitka clothing. It is very expensive and doesn't really do anything that you can't do with other clothing. No one needs Zeiss, Swarovski, or Leica binoculars when Bushnell's will do the same basic thing at a fraction of the price. My old Martin recurve will basically do anything that my Morrisons or other expensive bows will do. As a society we pay far more money on things than we need to because of incremental advantages that come at huge incremental cost. What kind of vehicles do we drive that in the end only get us from one place to another? We often pay far more than we need to in order to accomplish the same task with something that performs a little better. I sure won't tell anyone that Sitka gear is not better than most of what I use. In fact, I plan on buying some. I think some of my expensive bows are better tools than many less expensive ones, but not a lot better. Same with my expensive binoculars. I sure don't think anyone should break his budget to buy any equipment that he can't afford just because it may perform a little better. But I am not going to deny that a product is better just because I am unwilling to spend the additional money to buy it. Most of the people posting on this thread have never even seen an Ashby broadhead except in a picture. Nothing wrong with that, but when those people say that the Ashby is no better than a much less expensive broadhead, I don't think they have the knowledge to state that opinion. A pair of Leica binoculars is indisputably better than a pair of Bushnell Sportsman binoculars. Can you still see the deer with the Bushnells? Probably. Will spending the extra money on the Leicas improve your hunting success? Probably not. So why buy the Leicas? Because they are clearer, brighter, and let you see objects better, even though not a whole lot better. Is that worth the extra cost of the Leicas? It is to me and obviously is to others who shell out ten times more for the super premium product than for a basic model.

Ask anyone on here who has owned or used an Ashby, 300 Xtreem, Silver Flame or other super premium broadhead how they compare to the less expensive models, and I am confident they will tell you that these pricey models are clearly superior in quality. I would be willing to bet that even the manufacturers of the less expensive broadheads would agree. Then it only gets to be a question of whether we are willing to pay for that kind of quality. Obviously most people are not willing to because the less expensive broadheads will do what they want, but that does not mean that the quality is the same. Again, I am not saying that someone should spend more to get a broadhead that will not provide any advantage in that person's hunting situation. However, if I am going after cape buffalo, giraffe, hippo, lion, brown bear, or especially elephant or rhino, I want all the performance, strength and quality I can get from my equipment, and that means something like the Ashby broadhead at the end of the best arrow I can buy, regardless of the cost. Besides, even at $50 an arrow, the cost is insignificant compared to the price of the hunt and the potential danger to everyone in the area if the broadhead/arrow combination fails to adequately perform, at least on the dangerous game.

Steel makes this same point and probably stated it better, or at least with many fewer words. I like the fact that he owns the broadheads we are talking about and therefore bases his statements on experience. I would encourage anyone who doubts the quality of the super premium broadheads to actually get his hands on one. Same thing with optics, clothing, etc.

Just to clarify things, my truck (my only vehicle) is 14 years old with 140,000 miles on it, and I bought it used with 65,000 miles on it, so please don't think I believe I have to spend a lot of money on something to get what I need to accomplish my objectives. I can buy a lot of hunting equipment for the incremental cost of buying a more expensive vehicle. We all have to make choices on where we spend our money.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2009, 10:00:00 PM »
My Zwickey Delta 4 blades have killed so many deer since the mid 80s that I'd pay $30 a head for them.             :saywhat:        

My recovery ratio and recovery yardage average makes them the best undisputed head on the market for deer for me.         :thumbsup:  

Yeah....I not only prepare for the worst possible scenario...but the most PROBABLE worst case scenario....which is a hit too far back.  Its worked like a charm for me for over 2 and a half decades.

Working hard on the grill to free up the freezer space for this falls 4 blade venison bounty.       :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©