3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Alaska bound in one week!  (Read 547 times)

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
Alaska bound in one week!
« on: July 11, 2009, 12:47:00 AM »
The wife and I are making our first trip to Alaska next week. We are flying into Anchorage on the 17th. We have a motor home rented for two weeks. The plan is to do some fly fishing (me) and sightseeing (both) and shopping (wife...dragging me along). We are planning to be in Anchorage for a day or two, then head to Seward for a day cruise. Then to Cooper Landing and Kasilof for fishing. By Friday, we will be heading north again for Fairbanks, eventually. I have a former student in the Airforce at North Pole. We plan to visit him and his wife. We'll check out Denali on the way there, then come back down Hwy. 4 to GlennAllen. We're not sure if well go down to Tok first or not (depends on time). Wife thinks we should go to Valdez, but it's about 240 miles out of the way (round trip). With only two weeks, we really have to cram in a lot.

Now for the Tradgang part...I'd love to meet any of you along the route. I won't have a bow along due to the airplane, but I wouldn't pass up "testing" one  ;)  . I haven't decided whether to bring a computer along or not. My laptop is a 17" (kinda large), and I'm not sure how much access I'd have. Some of the camps have WIFI, some don't. Also, is there anything that we just should not miss?
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Alaska bound in one week!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 01:01:00 AM »
Have a great trip!
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 01:11:00 AM »
I been back about three weeks and all I can think of is getting back to Alaska,You will love it.Blake
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline ArcticArcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 03:04:00 AM »
If you decide to stop for a short respite in Delta Junction on the way to Glenallen let me know. There's a great place for soft serve ice cream.  I'll PM you my contact number if you want.  Its a beautiful drive all the way around.

Nick
TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud member of the Twister Twelve

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 07:15:00 AM »
:wavey:  Hope You have a great and safe journey. My Wife's great Aunt and Uncle used to go there every other year for a month in their motorhome. They always talked about the wildlife they saw and the great people they met along the way.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 08:26:00 AM »
30--take the FULL day bus tour into Denali.  You get close to Mt. McKinley and will see all the game the park has to offer.  It does get a little old having to give the right of way to HUGE caribou bulls!  Take your good binoculars.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 08:59:00 AM »
Nick,

Shoot me a PM. I have few vices but ice cream is one of them! I spent 14 years in law enforcement before a bad knee forced me into a career change, so it would be fun to visit with another cop.

Russ
NRA Life Member

Offline Kevin Bahr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 09:09:00 AM »
I agree with Steve O.  The full day bus trip is well worth the price, and it's pretty much the only way to get "all the way" into the park.  Before you get there however, I would highly recommend a visit to Homer.  There is a campground way out on the spit where you can set up.  Then walk to the Homer Ocean Charter office and book a half day halibut charter for the next morning.  You'll love it if you don't mind boat rides, and you WILL catch fish.  Walk them over to the packing company on the other side of the street and have them shipped home to arrive the day or two after you are home.  While in Seward, the Alaska Sealife Center is really cool.  Like a humungous aquarium but with Alaska wildlife and marine life.  You could literally spend your whole vacation on the Kenai peninsula.  Steve H. lives just north of Seward in Moose Pass.  On the way to or from Anchorage, you will go through Girdwood.  The cinnamon rolls at the bakery in the Alyeska Hotel are phenominal and as big as your head.  If you want to splurge, there is a 5 star restaurant way up on the mountain as well.  In Anchorage, there's tons of stuff to do, depending on what you like.  It's a large metropolitan area similar to what you experience "outside" (Lower 48) except it is surrounded by mountains and Cook Inlet and has moose and bears walking around town on a regular basis, no kidding.  After you leave ANC and head north, on your way to Denali will be a town called Wasilla.  It is growing by leaps and bounds and has lots of modern conveniences such as WalMart, Fred Meyer, etc.  It also has the Iditarod Trail Museum which is really cool.  You can go on "wheeled" dogsled rides there as well.  If you head out of town to the west, you will come to a road called the Wasilla Fishhook Road.  If you head north on this road, on the NW corner of the Wasilla Fishhook and Glendale Street (5 miles out) I own 2 acres on this corner.  You are welcome to set up your camp there if you can get off the road.  It's not a developed campspot but hey, it's free to use for a couple nights if you want.
On your way up the Parks highway from there, don't miss Talkeetna.  Great little town with lots of history, shops, bars, a couple restaurants, and this is the jumping off place for those who attempt to climb "The Great One".  North of there, a large creek called Montana Creek crosses the highway and just before it on the right is a campground.  The fishing in Montana Creek is great, as long as the fish are running so if you stayed there for a night, it would probably be nice for you as well.  Then on to Denali and all that it has to offer.  I think I remember a place called Slippery Dick's Half Way Inn on the west side of the highway on the way to Fairbanks.  Fairbanks has lots to offer like ANC.  Don't miss the UAF Museum.  It's on the north side of town and right on the campus.  Some great places to shop and eat in Fairbanks if that's your thing as well, and you can walk up and check out the pipeline and info display in town somewhere as well. On the way down the Richardson Highway to Delta Junction, you will follow the pipeline and see lots of moose and some great fishing spots.  There is a little, I mean TINY spot called Sourdough along the highway.  It's basically just a campground with a diner.  Good grayling fishing in the creek there and the sourdough starter they use in their pancakes and bread reportedly came over the Chilkoot Trail during the first Gold Rush.  Good eatin'!
My family took this trip several years ago and two weeks goes by really fast. I've been back for hunting several times but the "tourist" thing is fun as well. You will have a great time and see lots of wildlife as well.  Hope you have safe travels and have a trip to remember for your lifetime!

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 09:43:00 AM »
Wow, Kevin! Thanks for the info and the offer of a camping spot. We may take you up on that. I'll let you know when we get back. I agree, the two weeks will fly by.
NRA Life Member

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 09:45:00 AM »
Sounds like fun!  My only advice is to take lots of pictures.  I just returned from Australia and am kicking myself for not taking enough pics, they're alot easier to delete than to go back and take after you've gone home.  Have a great trip, you'll love Alaska!

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2009, 10:12:00 AM »
Take a set of binoculars for both yourself and your wife.

Kevin gave you good advice about a lot of things.  However, the name of the (ahem) bar is "Skinny Dick's Halfway Inn".  The T-shirts from there are a must-have.

In Anchorage the options for nice meals are extensive, but if you want an excellent pizza with extraordinary micro-brews visit Moose's Tooth Pub and Pizzeria.  For a really upscale dinner go to Marx Brothers restaurant.  

In Girdwood (where the Alyeska ski resort is located about 25 miles south of Anchorage) the Double Musky restaurant is top-notch.  Just beyond Girdwood about another 15 miles is Portage.  There's an excellent/beautiful short drive off the main highway in to the visitors' center which overlooks Portage Lake which is fed by Portage glacier.  Well worth the short drive in, especially if the weather's fine.  

Also, while driving to the Kasilof River be sure and take Kalifonsky Beach Road south out of Kenai.  Don't take the main highway.  K-Beach Road runs right along the bluff overlooking Cook Inlet. If the day is clear you'll be able to see at least three active volcanos on the western shore of the Inlet - Iliamna, Redoubt (recently been erupting and it's right across from Kenai) and Spurr.  

I used to have a cabin on the upper Kasilof and I ran my own drift boat down the upper river for many years.  While you're there most folks will be fishing for kings below the bridge (the lower river).  After July 1 the upper river is closed to king fishing, but it's still worth seeing.  The upper river is a beautiful 4-hour drift with two nice (but safe) class II rapids.  If you can add in that drift it would be a good thing to do.  If you want to go offshore and fish for either kings or halibut I'd recommend Irish Lord Charters out of Ninilchik.  Robbie Carol owns and operates a fine big-water boat and runs a first-class operation.  I have many, many friends who live in Kasilof and you can meet all of them every afternoon between 2:30 and 5:00 p.m. at the J-Bar-B bar and restaurant.  Definitely local color!

If you go as far south as Kasilof and/or Ninilchik you might as well go on down to Homer.  One of the most beautiful spots on the earth.

I could go on and on, but you are about to embark on a trip that you'll remember until the day you die.  Enjoy!

Offline Toklat1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2009, 10:19:00 AM »
After being stationed there for 7 years and not having been back for 9, I am heading back the 2nd week of August. I am going to stay at a friends home in Wasilla and reant a car and go go go. I am taking my spouse and stepdaughter who have never been!  I'm also taking my new bow and am going to get a short hunt in up at Elkutna for Moose!  I can't wait to get back! Enjoy yourself, I know I will!!!!!
Mark Griffin
USAF Retired
1981-2001

"When a Man comes to the mountains, He comes home." John Muir

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2009, 10:27:00 AM »
It sounds like you are going about it the right way. I'm not much on being in large groups of people and the sight seeing and cruise trip my wife and I took a couple of years ago was nothing short of torture for me. It was late August and I longed for my bow and a couple of tags the entire trip. My only salvation was knowing I'd be back up sheep hunting within two weeks of our return home.

Alaska is a beautiful place and if you can get off the beaten path it's an even more wonderful experience.
Jack Shanks

Offline akdd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2009, 02:59:00 PM »
Tangle Lakes on the Denali Hwy has good grayling  fishing. The lakes are about 20 miles up the Denali form Paxon. There is a good campground at the Lakes. Also I think that the lodge there rents canoes. On the drive from Glennallen to Anchorage you will pass the Matanuska Glacier. You can drive out to the front of the Glacier and walkout onto it for a fee. It is about a 1500' walk to get onto the white ice. I live right across the river from it. But I don't know for sure if I will be home when you come through.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2009, 06:33:00 PM »
Well I'm up in fairbanks  (north pole, also work on Eielson)...we are planning a red salmon trip on the weekend of the 17th...I'll be back up here by monday.  I cant shoot....my shoulder is jacked up!

A stop in Fairbanks would be the chena pumphouse..order the seafood chowder..yumm delicious, they also give out the recipe!!!  You'll see it sitting on the desk.

Offline Wiley Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2009, 06:36:00 PM »
I will be in Anchorage on the July 31 but I will be heading to Seward to catch a cruise ship!!!  :wavey:
Great Northern Bushbow
Super Shrew Delux
Talon Longbow
Chekmate Hunter Recurve

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2009, 02:01:00 AM »
I am 2.5 miles south of the Sterling Highway junction on the Seward.  I think I will be around!

Offline juneaulongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Fannin Texas
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2009, 04:16:00 AM »
I'm in Juneau but my band will be touring Anchorage, Seward, Homer and the Matsu Valley.  Try and catch a show!  We will definitely be eating pizza at the Moose's Tooth.

Tour Dates:

July 29, 2009 9PM • Humpys • Anchorage, Alaska

July 30, 2009 8PM • Resurrect Art & Coffeehouse • Seward, Alaska

July 31, 2009 9PM • Down East Saloon • Homer, Alaska

August 1, 2009 10PM • Kharacters Bar • Homer, Alaska

August 3, 2009 8PM • Taproot Cafe • Anchorage, Alaska

August 4, 2009 6PM • Vagabond Blues • Palmer, Alaska

August 5, 2009 8PM • Make A Scene • Wasilla, Alaska

August 6, 2009 8PM • Pandemonium Booksellers • Wasilla, Alaska

August 7, 2009 6PM • Cafe Felix • Anchorage, Alaska

August 8, 2009 9PM • Snow Goose • Anchorage, Alaska

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2009, 01:25:00 PM »
i live in kenai and do a good bit of fishing and shooting,  i can give you a good curent report on fishing on the kenai, most areas and the kasilof,  if you would like to go fishing ill be doing a drift boat monday next week for kings, always looking for another rod in the water.

Offline Bill Sant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2009, 02:30:00 PM »
I'm in Anchorage and from the looks of things will be home during that time frame.  Give me a call and we'll go get coffee or something.  You will also be going right by our cabin 40 miles north of Glenallen and we might be there.  We have a great spot to park and a lot of targets scattered over the 80 acres.  Lots of extra bows and arrows.  Let me know if you want to take a bow with you on your trip and I'm sure I can get a loaner to you when you hit Anchorage.  Shoot me a PM if you want and we'll get in touch.  Bill

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©