3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: back from the Outback  (Read 928 times)

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: back from the Outback
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2009, 08:59:00 AM »
Great stuff, Fred!!
  :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2009, 09:12:00 AM »
Good the see you made it back OK Fred looking foward to the rest of the story.bd

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2009, 09:27:00 AM »
Oh man, oh man, I wanna see some pics!!!  Australia is awesome, keep the story coming!

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2009, 10:23:00 AM »
We had first rate accomedations .
private shower facilities

both of which kept me looking fresh and alert .

Greyfox54

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2009, 10:54:00 AM »
This place looked like a graveyard with all the temite mounds  
The object of my desire ,Sorry for poor photo but I couldn't get much closer

WE had a chance to fish a few afternoons when we camped alongside a small pool . I was told not to stand in one place too long as there are crocs about .

Greyfox54

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2009, 11:04:00 AM »

One night Mick and I roamed along the banks of a pool of water along a riverbed and caught some of these . Very good eating . Oh yeah , one word of caution , if your're ever given the chance to eat vegimite pass on it . Shel told me some US GI s were stationed near his home in Tasmania and after tasting vegimite they bought a tube and put it in a glass case with a note saying "In case of starvation don't break glass , starve " That sums it up very well .
Best kind of scrub bull , a dead one .

Greyfox54

Offline Lewis Brookshire III

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2009, 11:07:00 AM »
Awesome!! Congrats Fred!
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
- Jim Elliot: Missionary/Martyr.

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2009, 11:17:00 AM »
The fish we caught were Baramundi and fileted , breaded and fryed along with some chips is very hard to beat . Right up there with the "shore lunch" of northern pike and walleye at the  Bear camps . Austrailia is a fascinating place and far more desolate then I ever imagined . I brought along my Black Widow SAIII with 2 sets of limbs , 66# and 76# . I tried out the new Aboyer heads and they are everything they claim to be . They come sharp and are easy to touch up . Quartering away I penetrated up to the fletching on the Scrub Bull . I also brought along my all time favorites some 160 grain Interceptors , I have had a lot of good luck with them over the years and was hoping to use them on hogs . More about that later .
Greyfox54

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2009, 11:24:00 AM »
Great story Fred...awesome pics.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2009, 11:38:00 AM »
Fred, I hear those scrub bulls have a "belligerent temperament"    :scared:
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2009, 11:41:00 AM »
Fred I am glad to see you had a great time. Thanks for taking us along.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2009, 11:42:00 AM »
Sounds like a fun time! I think I would rather hunt a buff with a knife than go barefooted over there.I guess you never watch Discovery channel much.  :D
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2009, 11:51:00 AM »
Awesome Fred!
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2009, 11:57:00 AM »
Good stuff. See any snakes? Heard those wild bulls are bad scary. How about it?
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Tique

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2009, 03:24:00 PM »
Great story so far Fred, keep it coming. Glad you had a good time and made it home safe. I don't even want to think about walking around barefoot with all those criters nearby. Nice bull too!  :thumbsup:
Untested ideas are not facts.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2009, 03:44:00 PM »
hey fred vegimite is yummmmmmmm much better than Grits thats for sure  :p    :scared:  for those poor animals  :biglaugh:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline artifaker1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2009, 08:10:00 PM »
Thanks for the good read Fred. I wouldn't go barefoot over there for all the tea in china.
Love is fleeting; stone tools are forever

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2009, 08:12:00 PM »
Hey Jeff Mick told me I might be scaring them Buffs with my white legs , they don't see the sun that often . I have never been concerned about my safety anywhere I've been as long as the locals aren't nervous about conditions . One day we passed by a large brown snake and Mick went on High alert . That got my attemtion . Another time we were walking in chest high grass and Mick stopped and took a little detour , when I asked him what was going on he said you listen for snakes in the grass and let them crawl off and then give them some room and walk around them . He says that when I walk about and especially when I'm stalking to listen for snakes , when I told him my hearing is about shot and that I can't hear them he made a comment about me being screwed . About mid hunt we were crossing a grassy plain  called the grasshopper and came to a water hole about 50yards wide and a couple hundred yards long . On the other side was a large feral hog walking along doing whatever hogs do when we decided to put on a stalk . The ground around the waterhole was dried up and cracked and felt like omne of those rasps I shape wood with . Of course I thought it would be quieter to go barefoot . After the first 100 yards I knew I made a mistake but along with being foolish I'm also stubborn . Anyone who knows me will be surprised to hear that . After another 50 yards I got close enough to miss . Twice actually . But in my defense I usaully plant my feet before I shoot and now I couldn't even stand . I kept rotating my weight around trying to find something stable but it wasn't meant to be . After the two shots the boar started running off and I let fly again and bounced and arrow off his back , it was his day . I wasn't going to move an inch until Mick drove the truck around to pick me up but the boar wasn't done with me yet . He ran the couple hundred yards around the waterhole and started nosing around so I started back the 150 yards to cut him off . I wasn't really walking just moving along , I'm glad Mick wasn't trying to video me , I think he was laughing too much . By the time I got around the pool I lost sight of him and figured I had enough pig hunting for awhile . That was the last day I went barefoot , but the damage was done . Six days later my foot swelled a little and I thought it was just sore but upon inspection I had a thorn festering in the middle of my foot . Not being able to remove it I made the mistake of asking Mick for help , I think he enjoyed himself too much cutting and digging it out . That said three days after I got home my Goodwife had me soak my feet in Epson salt and took out three more smaller thorns . I'm nomne the worse for wear but when I go back (Lord willing) I will bring moccasins and sock savers . And yes JC if you can believe it it was hotter then Georgia and it is their winter . Mick sleeps in his swag inside his sleeping bag with sweatpants and tee shirt on , I'm in my boxers and just have a light blanket over my middle with legs hanging out . They think I'm crazy but if I was over there in the summer then they would see crazy . I would probably die .
 We had a ham that we cut pieces off every day for lunch and after about 6 days I was about hammed out . When we got near a town Mick asked me if I liked corn beef and I thought that would be great , I also said I eat a lot of turkey . First mistake was not being more specific , second was not going along to the store . My visions of thin sliced corn beef were shattered when for lunch we opened a can of corned beef hash and spread it on bread . Another surprise was the turkey , I didn't know there was such a thing as turkey spam . Now I do . I'm not complaining as I really enjoy a rough camp . Makes the memories last and lets you know you're alive . Mick is a great cook and dinners were always delicous . We had pork chops , spaghetti , roast lamb and his best stir-fry chicken to name a few , and yes the best was the fish and chips with the fresh Baramundi .
Greyfox54

Offline Leland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2009, 08:23:00 PM »
Thank-you for sharing,sounds like a great time. Did you bring the meat back with you?

Leland

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2009, 08:39:00 PM »
Where would this be without one of these .

I wasn't worried about the snakes or the crocs or the spiders but I was a little concerned about them monitor lizards . Mick says they call them guanas ? not to be mistaken with iguanna . He said they almost never come around camp and don't bother with people , one morning rising early and walking out to take a leak I came across this

I showed Mick and he was surprised one came so close to camp but wasn't too concerned . I guess that's why they wrap themselves up at night , I felt like I was left for bait . Even though we saw several tracks over the hunt we never did see one . Leland the best beef cattle are between one and three years old , this one was about  twelve to fifteen . Not like chewing on a boot more like chewing on the sole of the boot . There is no way to keep meat at those temps and since they are feral animals which compete with native species both government and landowners want them thinned out . Hardest thing now is figuring how I can get back there . So many places and so little time .
Greyfox54

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©