3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: back from the Outback  (Read 927 times)

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: back from the Outback
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2009, 10:00:00 PM »
and ya don't like vegemite ? say it ain't so !!!!
great story mate ..... glad ya trip was a good one down here .

Ben
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2009, 10:48:00 PM »
Hey Ben , Shel and Alex figured I wasn't getting a buff because I wasn't eating my vegemite so the last day I choked down a sandwich for breakfast . An hour and a half  before dark I put the final stalk of the hunt on a medium Buff . He was feeding along a dry riverbed but when we got close to him he crossed over the other side and we had to scurry back along the riverbed about 100 yards so we could cross quietly on the rocks . He was feeding along making a lot of noise and the wind was favorable and  I got about 25 yards away . I could see his back in the tall grass along the river and tried for an 11th hour shot and neatly put an arrow over his back . Faster than it takes to tell it the wind blew on my neck and he ran out into the open looking me straight in the eyes . They have a white triangle in the middle of their chest which Mick said if things got hairy to aim for . He was bobbing his head and I wasn't going down without a shot so I put one right in the triangle almost up to the fletch . He starts my way but veared off after two steps , maybe he felt the arrow , either way he ran to my left putting me between him and Mick with the backup gun . We tracked him till dark when the blood started to show signs of congealing . He just walked off and never stopped . He was headed for a saddle between two ridges but that was over a mile away . We had to leave for Townsend the next morning early as we had to pick up another hunter , Luke , at the airport which was 1800 kilometers away . Mick was going to be in the area this or next week and said he would look around . I can only pray he finds him . Mick said the shot looked so good he didn't want to shoot him and a second later he would have had to shoot past me . The right call . Maybe I should have ate my vegemite sooner.
Greyfox54

Offline marlon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2009, 11:12:00 PM »
Great job Fred. Marlon
marlon torres

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2009, 11:44:00 PM »
Been wondering how you made out down there mate!  Great story and pics!    :thumbsup:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Tom Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
    • BISON GEAR PACKS
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2009, 11:50:00 PM »
Fred,
     The Adventurous Bowman,sounds like you had a blast.Congrads on the scrub bull and hopefully Mick will come across your last minute Bull.
  Thanks for reliving the hunt for us.
BISON GEAR PACKS
https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=bison%20gear%20packs

TGMM Family of the Bow * PBS * P&Y
 * Massachusetts Bowhunters * NRA
 * Compton Traditional Bowhunters *
 * N.A.H.C. * N.Y.Bowhunters *
  * N.J.Bowhunters *

Offline Tom Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
    • BISON GEAR PACKS
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2009, 11:51:00 PM »
What is the ingredients of Vegemite sandwich ?
BISON GEAR PACKS
https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=bison%20gear%20packs

TGMM Family of the Bow * PBS * P&Y
 * Massachusetts Bowhunters * NRA
 * Compton Traditional Bowhunters *
 * N.A.H.C. * N.Y.Bowhunters *
  * N.J.Bowhunters *

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2009, 06:52:00 AM »
Great tale Fred...I hope he finds him too.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2009, 07:51:00 AM »
greyfox- you say that the top end is desolate, and it can be, but you wouldn't recognise the place during and after the wet season, december to march. the place is transformed into floodplains and verdent green.
glad you had a good time. australia is certainly very unique.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Bryan Bondurant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2009, 12:52:00 PM »
Greyfox54, Thanks for the great hunting story, good read and pictures too!

Offline Boss Maputahi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2009, 01:46:00 PM »
Hey Fred. I get Marmite sent to me every once in a while. Good stuff. Of course everyone knows that Veggienite is the evil red headed step child of Marmite. I`ll be sure to have a hunk of bread and some Marmite on the boat for you whilst we`re chasing lizards. If those monitors freaked you out I can`t wait to see you looking ata 10` `gator
Aaah, yup it`s dead.

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2009, 07:15:00 PM »
Ozy Clint , I hope you didn't take me wrong , I like it best where there are no people and the northern territories were perfect , just not what I expected , again I'm not sure what I expected . I most definitely want to go back .
 Tom , They put vegemite on almost anything , they say they like it but they put such a small amount on toasted bread with butter it doesn't seem worth the effort , until you taste it then you understand why they spread it so thin . We got bacon and egg sandwichs at a coun
try store and even they had a light spread of vegemite on them . Boss I never heard of Marmite but they also eat something called promite over there . I always thought mites were bad for you so I steer clear of them both . By the way this Vegemite comes in either a jar or a squeeze tube like toothpaste , that just ain't right .And I'll be fine with the gators as long as I don't have to swim with them . I hear it's been hot down there too . I can't seem to get away from the heat .
Thanks JC , It's out of my hands . Not that I need one but it will be a reason to go back , Mick Baker runs a first rate operation and gives that extra effort I always appreciate. If anyone wants contact info he operates Trophy Bowhunts Austrailia , you can get on his web-site and see some incredible photos of nearly any species Austrailia offers . I'm planning a combo hunt I  for either Buff and goats or maybe RedStag and something else . It's a good idea to plan to go for 2 weeks so you can hunt different animals but it's tough to cover ground between areas . It's a big place over there .
Greyfox54

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2009, 05:00:00 PM »
After another trip to Africa, Australia will be next on the list.  May be awhile though... being a union construction worker and going on big hunting trips can be tough.  But somehow I find a way to do it.  Even if I am broke!
Sounds like an excellent time.

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2009, 10:06:00 PM »
Congrats   :thumbsup:  on a great trip
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2009, 01:03:00 AM »
Nice bull, Fred! Well-done!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2009, 01:46:00 AM »
Sounds as if you had a fine trip mate, well done on the scrubber too.

JC.... no shoes is the only way to hunt where I'll take you mate! Just put me in your will huh! Did I mention I like Morrisons....lol
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2009, 06:02:00 AM »
Too cool Fred....congrats     :clapper:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Ray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2009, 06:08:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing-great adventure.

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2009, 12:45:00 PM »
What a fine adventure, thanks for sharing - you tell a good story.  Such a hunt is on my "to do" list.  I would enjoy all the critters, especially the really dangerous ones  :eek:
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2009, 08:30:00 PM »
I'm sure I'm not the only one who really enjoys a hunt , most times I have more fun then the law allows . I really appreciate all the kind words and comments made by everyone , I'm afraid I"ll never fully comprehend the impact this site has had on my life . Okay enough mush , I have to plan what I want to kill next .
Thanks to all , Fred
Greyfox54

Offline wayoutwest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2009, 05:52:00 AM »
Didnt hear much about the Chital hunt fred.
Wayoutwest

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©