3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What makes it a Trad Bow?  (Read 439 times)

Offline BadKarma

• Trad Bowhunter
What makes it a Trad Bow?
« on: July 13, 2009, 08:37:00 AM »
I'm doing something that I've never done before, I'm booking a Javie/Hawg hunt with LittleFeather in Tx in Jan!!!    :bigsmyl:

I wanted to get a T/D bow that I can take with me that I won't have to worry about around all those thorns, so I've ordered a Martin Jaguar T/D. With my disabilities, I'm not the best stalker in the woodlot, so I'll do whatever I can to insure the best shot I can. With this bows centershot riser, if I put a Whisker Biscuit on it would you all still think of it as a Trad Bow?   :eek:

I am very curious to see how well this works.

Thanks

Lee
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.

May Thors Hammer ring in your favor!

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What makes it a Trad Bow?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 08:54:00 AM »
A trad bow simply doesnt have wheels on it.  Beyond that, to each his own. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 09:02:00 AM »
Did you shoot that bow before you ordered it?  The reason I ask is because I went with full intent to buy that bow and it slapped my arm every time even at the longest recomended brace height.  The bow was marked 45 pounds and on a scale weighed 42.  Maybe it was me and I was drawing it to far since it was lighter than my bow.  Let me know how it works for you.  I did not write this to bash your bow, I just wanted to know if you have any options if you don't like it.  You will really be shooting instinctive with a wisker biscuit cause you prolly wont be able to see your arrow tip.  If a bunch of people chime in and say they love this bow I will know it was just me. I know how to properly grip a bow I have shot hoyt compounds for years ( the fast ones will teach you)

Offline Lewis Brookshire III

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 09:03:00 AM »
I have a feeling that it would slow down the arrow speed a good bit. I was actually going to try this when I first started several years ago on a PSE Kingfisher but never got around to doing it.
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
- Jim Elliot: Missionary/Martyr.

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 09:12:00 AM »
I shot the PSE impala and it is a nice shooting cheap bow in the same price range. I can't remember if it is drilled for a rest.  I guess I should say that a limb did make a little noise when I drew it but it went away.  again I am not trying to offend just looking at options.  I hope you get it and love it, then I will give it another try.

Offline BadKarma

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 09:15:00 AM »
I shot competition compound 3D for years and when they first came out I tried the WB and found that when tuned right they only take a fps or 2 over a drop away, so the loss is minimal.

And Mo, I have always used an arm guard with all my bows, some will slap and other wont, IMHO. But I will let you know more when I get it.

Thanks Dino, I feel the same way. This is my first T/D and the riser got me thinkin, which is usually my first mistake!!!!!!!!

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 09:18:00 AM »
I dont see how they can work good shooting fingers with the paradox involved...but I havent tried one since my compound/release days.

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 09:21:00 AM »
I would do what ever it took to get my arrows flying the best I could as long as it still made me happy when shooting my bow.

Offline BadKarma

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 09:29:00 AM »
I was thinking that with the center shot riser and more spine on the carbon arrows that the paradox might not play such a big part.

I think it's worth a look at. The benefits are well worth it. I could use vanes instead of feathers. Tuning would be a breeze. It almost falls into the category of "to good to be true"!!!!!

But we'll see what happens.

Offline huntindad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 09:30:00 AM »
I shot fingers with my wheel bow with a whisker biscuit and it seemed to do pretty well. Bill
The days spent hunting cannot be deducted from  the span of your life's time.

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 10:22:00 AM »
I tried a whisker biscuit on a gamegetter.  I couldn't stand how much of my sight window it blocked.  I'm a straight instinctive shooter who tries not to see the arrow.  with the whisker bicuit it drove me crazy.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 10:28:00 AM »
No centershot, and fingers, are not necessarily a good mix.   Using a release eliminates a lot of human error.  I would rather think a Berger Button (cushioned plunger) and a flipper type rest would be better.

As for traditional.....no wheels, no let off, not cables.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 10:46:00 AM »
The biscuit works with compounds because you are using sight pins and a peep located well above the arrow. If you are going to shoot instinctive, you will hate it. If you gap shoot, it will be impossible. Unless you plan on using sights, I don't see how you could make it work. Also, most compounds are cut well beyond center to make room for rests. The biscuit will move the arrow away from center a long ways, so if your arrow is stiff enough to go though the biscuit without a paradox issue, your shot will end up way to the left (assuming you are a righty).

Tradition has nothing to do with it, I just don't think it will work. Good luck if you try it, and please post your results one way or the other.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline BadKarma

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 11:18:00 AM »
Thanks for everyones input. The bow will be here Friday or so and I will see if it will fit in the riser. If it will I'll give it a try and let everyone in on the testing. The only reason I'm looking at this is the riser looks like it has a great deal of room that just might fit the rest.

Otherwise it's gonna get a Berger setup.

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2009, 02:07:00 PM »
Now you got me wondering since I read the info from other fella on the other post.

Offline BadKarma

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2009, 02:13:00 PM »
Sorry Mo!!!!  lol

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2009, 02:43:00 PM »
Now I got to go back down their and shoot it again.  Maybe I am jut pullin it to far I don't know?  I just noticed you are from S.W. MO. I'm gonna PM you.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2009, 03:57:00 PM »
I use a flipper II rest and a felt chair pad from Wal-Mart on my Titan. You can even shoot vanes on that setup   :thumbsup:
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Schafer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2009, 05:20:00 PM »
I agree with dino!
“There’s more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.” - Fred Bear

53@29 Randy Morin Banshee
66@29 Schafer Silvertip

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2009, 06:21:00 PM »
I've used a Neet "Pro Rest" on my old Hoyt recurve for a couple years.. Superb arrow flight and it does not block my sight picture.. If your new bow is threaded for a rest try a few until you find the "one" that works best for you..

No cables, cams, or let off----='s traditional..
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©