3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tuning question for BH's  (Read 306 times)

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
Tuning question for BH's
« on: July 13, 2009, 05:11:00 PM »
I tuned my arrow/bow last week utilizing FP's.  

Now....can I assume my arrow length will be consistent when I stick a BH on the end?  I'm getting ready to cut my arrows, and just wanted to make sure.

What could cause a BH tipped arrow to fly inconsistent with a FP tipped arrow....if the FP tipped arrow was bare-shafted and determined to be correct (and backed up with fletched arrows)?

Thanks.

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tuning question for BH's
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 05:21:00 PM »
you mean you took a couple of arrows and tuned them and now you are thinking of cutting the rest to the same size?  I would just screw on a couple broadheads and shoot them THEN you know how it will shoot with broadheads.  I don't like to take chances with expensive arrows.  You probably already know but I would spin test my broadheads to cause I hear that can get real confusing. I just always spin test them.  I bet it shoots good for you.

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 05:28:00 PM »
Jeff,

Just because you tuned with FP's does not necessarily mean you will be tuned when you go to BH's.  If when you were bare shaft tuning and using FP's you were able to dial them in perfectly, that is, the bare shafts were impacting exactly with the fletched shafts all the way out to, say.....25 yds, then there is a very high likelihood that when you switch to BH's your shafts will be too stiff, assuming they are cut the same.  Also, remember that if you are using BH's that must be hand sharpened,then you need to do all your BH tuning with BH's that have been file to the same weight.

Brett
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 05:40:00 PM »
Broadheads flying the same as field points is the product of either work or dumb luck...

There are always going to be differences between the flight of a streamlined field point and the delta wing that is a broadhead.  Slap some broadheads on those shafts and give 'em a try.  The worst that can happen is you save yourself some money.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 05:48:00 PM »
Some tried and true designs will have little effect.  However, you should never assume you will get good flight.  If an arrow is tuned well to field points, and you don't have a big weight differential, the broadheads should be close.  Shoot them and find out. That's something you don't want someone else deciding for you.

I shoot my broadheads to tune at about fifty yards.  They (Bear Razorheads) are usually with my field points....maybe hit a tad higher.

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 05:52:00 PM »
I try to get mine in tune with my banjo. Don
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 06:21:00 PM »
I was using a friend's bare shaft 250....and all I have are a new dozen.  I suppose I'll cut a couple down and see.  But yes.....the bare shaft and fletched arrows were impacting together (bare shaft 'maybe' a tad lower than fletched).

Why would it react stiffer with a BH on it?  Added length?  Wouldn't that make it weaker (reacting)?  Yes.  We bare shafted at about 25yds (started at 15).  

There'll be no weight differential (+/- a couple grains).  I can take care of that, sharpening.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 06:36:00 PM »
Leave the shafts long FIRST.. Attach broadheads and TUNE with the broadheads..

I always tune with broadheads first.. When you get perfect broadhead arrow flight any field tip will be right down the middle..

JDS III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 06:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by JDS3:
Leave the shafts long FIRST.. Attach broadheads and TUNE with the broadheads..

I always tune with broadheads first.. When you get perfect broadhead arrow flight any field tip will be right down the middle..

JDS III
Thats a good point, thanks!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 11:19:00 AM »
Why would it react stiffer with a BH on it? Added length? Wouldn't that make it weaker (reacting)? Yes. We bare shafted at about 25yds (started at 15).
Jeff...there is a very logical explanation for this phenominom but for the life of me I can't remember what the heck it is.  I've been researching the internet to find a good answer for you but haven't been successful as of yet.  However, it does happen.  

Whenever I set up a set of hunting arrows, I rough tune with FP's using the bareshaft method.  Remember to use FP's that weigh what your finished BH"s are going to weigh.  Make spine adjustments by trimming you shafts a little at a time.  Using this method I will tune to the point that my bareshafts are impacting just to the right (weak) of the fletched shafts by about 1 1/2 to 2 inches at 25 yds.  When I reach this point I then switch to the BH's to fine tune the shafts to make sure that the BH's are impacting exactly where I'm aiming.  I do this all the way out to 50+ yards.

In my opion, if you can get your BH's to impact where you're aiming from 40-50 yds, with good arrow flight, then you're tuned  ;)  

Brett
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©