3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ground Blinds insides and outs of em!  (Read 937 times)

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
Ground Blinds insides and outs of em!
« on: July 14, 2009, 10:55:00 AM »
OK so I have done searches and gotten little bits here and there of all the blinds but everyone posts "I just got this" or "I haven't tried it yet".

So heres your chance fellas...I'll list a bunch of blinds to be used strictly with traditional gear and you guys chime in on those that you have used in the past few years since your last reviews.

What length recurve/selfbow/longbow did you use?

Do you cant the bow or shoot verticle?

How big of a person are you and how did you fit in the blind?

How many people/gear can/did you fit?

How easy is it to setup?

What style blind do you prefere?

What are pros/cons of the blind? (material, glare, noise, dimensionsm, etc)

How are the shooting windows adjusted/positioned? (too low/too high, better for taller/shorter person, etc)

OK so theres some questions you guys can get started with and here is a list of top blinds today I hear of.  Please add in there if you feel i have left any out.

Double Bull Matrix 360
 http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?id=0064174&navCount=19&parentId=cat540014&masterpathid=&navAction=push&cmCat=MainCatcat21424-cat20011-cat540014_T GP&parentType=index&indexId=cat540014&rid=

Primos Ground Max Vision
 http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?id=0057271&navCount=17&parentId=cat540014&masterpathid=&navAction=push&cmCat=MainCatcat21424-cat20011-cat540014_T GP&parentType=index&indexId=cat540014&rid=

Double Bull Dark Horse
 https://shop.primos.com/pc-1135-135-dark-horse.aspx

Primos Ground Max Predator Den
 http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod-wrapped.jsp?id=0054481&navCount=18&parentId=cat540014&masterpathid=&navAction=push&cmCat=MainCatcat21424-cat20011-cat54 0014_TGP&parentType=index&indexId=cat540014&rid=

Ameristep Penthouse TSC
 http://www.ameristep.com/blinds/penthouse.html
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wElR_SIdOxA&feature=channel_page

Yukon Tracks Enforcer
 http://www.marinegeneralcatalog.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2133

Hidden Hunter Blind
 http://www.hiddenhunterblinds.com/

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ground Blinds insides and outs of em!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 10:59:00 AM »
Here is why I started this thread...I have an ameristep doghouse blind and it states its 68" tall.  

I can't shoot my 62" recurve out of it b/c i hit top so somewhere along the line just reading dimensions didn't get me very far other then now having a blind dedicated for my father to hunt shotgun out of LOL.

So I need real life testimonies of all the blinds you guys have used.

What I will be using it for...

Strictly hunting with with more then myself IE friends family etc.  Strictly traditional gear.  The people I will be hunting with have never hunted before so something user friendly and something we can get away with some movement and such would be nice.

My brickhosue isn't dark inside so deer pick off any movement very quickly.

Offline jimmerc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 11:09:00 AM »
Deadbolt, I have an older ameristep,smaller one, I can shoot a short recurve out of it but i'm limited, I'm looking at the hidden hunter blind now that 3rs has as I love to hunt out of these blinds on occation! I'll be watching this thread as i would love to everyones responces!! Jim
1- kajika stik combo,RC 55@28/LONGBOW 57@28 Both W/diamondback skins

1- monarch longbow royal 68" 59@28
1- bear kodak hunter-44@28

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 11:14:00 AM »
I bought a Yukon Tracks Enforcer and it sets up in less than a min. I haven't used it hunting yet but I have shot my PLX 62" out of it with no problem. Check out that aution site **** they have them for about $175 shipped. I paid more for mine. Hope this helps.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline waiting4fall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 11:15:00 AM »
Deadbolt, I hope you'll find this video helpful. I'll say this, If I could find a hub style blind that is 90 inches tall I'd buy it in a heart beat, because I feel it would be a bit more easy to pack. Currently the Amerstep Penthouse that I own I can wear like a backpack, & and put the chair & other stuff inside of the pack the blind comes in. Setup is'nt too bad, putting the 2 rods together & sliding them thru the loops. I guess actual setup time for me with this blind is 10 miuntes, which I don't mind. It would be nice to have a quicker setup time, but I want & need a huge blind like the Ameristep Penthouse, because for me comfort & maneuverability are huge priotities in a ground blind situation. So I too am open to suggestions as well. This is a great thread that you've started here.  :thumbsup:  

Click the link.
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wElR_SIdOxA&feature=channel_page

Offline Jason Jelinek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 11:46:00 AM »
I have a DB Darkhorse Recurve Model.  I'm 6'2" and shoot a 62" Kota Prairie Fire out of it.

My son (5'6" tall) and I fit in it with our bows (he shoots a compound).  My daughter (8) even joined us one evening.

We sit on the DB folding chairs and there's no issue for height.

The Recurve model is heavier, taller (about 7") and is more expensive.  It's worth it to me.  When I'm practiced it's less than a minute to setup.

Offline Steel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 12:01:00 PM »
I have several blinds DB darkhorse,Vision, Ameristep models and a few others. The Vision is one of my favorites for the money good size and I like the widow layouts.I have several 54" bows which I can get away using in smaller blinds like the Ameristep Bully in my picture its so light and packs small for carrying its one of my go to blinds for a pack in/out blind hunt. One thing I have noticed from alot of ground blind hunts on deer/hogs/turkeys is the smaller blinds are easier to hide and animals such as deer/hogs pay less notice to them than a blind twice the size. Also 3D camo on a blind works better on hogs/deer vs plain old flat material no qustion from my experenice in the field using both. The bad thing to that is there is not alot of 3D camo blinds out there to choose and the 3D camo adds more weight to the blinds which is not good for carrying in and out of the field. Overall if I could have only one blind I think it would be the one of the Primos Vision blinds they aren't to heavy to carry in/out on hunts,size is good for most bows,room for a buddy to sit with you, price is good. My DB is great but its heavy to carry in and out I usally set it up and leave it a day or two or short hikes. The Bully blind is great for short bows I like it best for deer hunting they just don't seem to even notice it but its a one guy blind with a trad bow and I don't like it for bows over 56" myself I am sure you could shoot a 58" maybe 60" but bow angle would come into play.

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 12:55:00 PM »
I have a Primos Ground Max Vision that I'm very happy with.  Fairly light to pack, quiet, and very fast to sit up.  It has a good bag with padded shoulder straps to use while carring it.  I have sufficient room for using my 60" Griffin or 60" Morrison Shawnee [ however, I do always shoot using a cant]. It also offers 360 deg field of view and shooting.  I use a swivel stool to sit on and shoot off of.

I might also note it rains here in the Pacific NW.  I have not sealed the seams yet, but its still doing a good job of keeping me dry.  I also like the sewn-in magnets for 'closing in the sides'. They are alot quieter than velcro or zippers.  One more quality worth noting, is that the netting has several places that can be noiselessy 'slid apart' to shoot, allowing you to not have to shoot thru the netting and ultimately having to replace it somewhere "Down The Road".

I have never tried multiple people in it as I usually hunt by myself, so can not comment on that question.

One more thing.......I love the "Predator" Brown camo pattern.  I have not found a situation yet that it has not worked in.

Hope that helps in your decision.  By the way I picked it up a Cabellas on sale [ not from the bargain cave] for $169.00.

Gene  :wavey:
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 04:40:00 PM »
Thanks for all the info guys!

Lets keep this thread growing I think alot of people can benefit from it now and down the road with the search option.

Offline gblrklr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 06:39:00 PM »
Thanks for a great idea for a topic, Deadbolt!  

Has anybody used an Ameristep Dominator?  I believe it would be tall enough, but would it be too tall?  I shoot a 62" recurve.

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 06:48:00 PM »
I also have a Ameristep Bully like Steel has pictured.    

I like the blind, its easy to set up, take down, pack in and out, but my limbtip scrapes the top fo the blind if I'm shooting out of my Double Bull chair.  I have to either find myself a shorter chair, or shoot from my knees.  I shoot a 60" recurve.

Offline djanko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 07:11:00 PM »
I'll chime in for the Ground Max vision, the deer in my member picture was shoot in my ground blind at 16 yard...unfortunately with a compound.  That was last year and have moved to longbows...can't wait until this year.  I have some 58' Treadways and have shoot them out of my blinds practicing and no problem.  The bigger problem will be getting my first deer with my new found passion... the longbow.

Dan

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 07:16:00 PM »
I'm pretty new at this blind stuff, but I've been happy with my Yukon Tracks Enforcer. I learned pretty quickly that you can't keep it open on three sides without letting in too much light. It's black inside, but the big windows limit your ability to hide somewhat by letting in so much light. You have to keep the sun angle in mind when setting up.

It sets up remarkably easily, and takes down likewise. It's 80" inside, but I still can't shoot my 64" longbow standing up, and I'm about 5'-8. That's no problem, because I sit to shoot anyhow, and there's more than enough room for that. I like the roominess for hunting with a friend, too.

The windows are a little high for me while sitting in a lawn chair, but I've noticed that there's a newer version (Enforcer Elite I think) that has the windows lowered at an angle to solve that problem.

I've had it two years, and it's been set up for a total of two or three months, and no problems. It does have a couple of holes now, from getting blown around in the woods during high wind. I didn't use the stakes in the woods, thinking the trees around would protect it. Wrong.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline gblrklr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 07:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by Don Stokes:
I'm pretty new at this blind stuff, but I've been happy with my Yukon Tracks Enforcer. I learned pretty quickly that you can't keep it open on three sides without letting in too much light. It's black inside, but the big windows limit your ability to hide somewhat by letting in so much light. You have to keep the sun angle in mind when setting up.

It sets up remarkably easily, and takes down likewise. It's 80" inside, but I still can't shoot my 64" longbow standing up, and I'm about 5'-8. That's no problem, because I sit to shoot anyhow, and there's more than enough room for that. I like the roominess for hunting with a friend, too.

The windows are a little high for me while sitting in a lawn chair, but I've noticed that there's a newer version (Enforcer Elite I think) that has the windows lowered at an angle to solve that problem.

I've had it two years, and it's been set up for a total of two or three months, and no problems. It does have a couple of holes now, from getting blown around in the woods during high wind. I didn't use the stakes in the woods, thinking the trees around would protect it. Wrong.
Do the windows on the Yukon zip or do they have magnets?

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 07:42:00 PM »
They zip.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2009, 08:09:00 PM »
I have shot a 66" Hill out of my 360, killed a deer out of it with a 64" Hill, killed a turkey out of it with a 62" Titan. Don't waste your time with a penthouse, I have one and it can't compare to my 360.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2009, 08:41:00 PM »
I have a Penthouse, used it for 2 years. Its works o.k. for the money I guess I think it was $130. Lots of room. If you hunt the late season in the snow and cold, the zippers will ice up, it cant take much snow on the roof, it will cave in. Set-up and take-down are kind of slow. But its still in good condition and still gets used.

I also have a Hidden Hunter DAT I got from Ron LaClair, now that is the BOMB! Not as roomy as the Penthouse but roomy enough. I can shoot my 66" Robertson LB out of it. Goes up and down in a snap. I'm 6'3" and draw 30" so me and my stuff pretty well fill it up, I think of it as a perfect fit.

Eric

Offline Brent Hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2009, 08:51:00 PM »
I shoot the matrix recurve model with a 60 recurve and using the db stool.  I do prop up the front side  of the blind about 4 inches with tent stakes to feel more comfortable with that bow but my 56 inch bighorn shoots well with out the tent stakes.  3d mesh or not, I don't know for sure but I never hunt dear or pigs with out really brushing in the blind.  If the db recurve was 5 inches taller, it would be the perfect trad blind.  But then I would be tempted to buy something else.  That being said, I would reccomend the db

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2009, 11:27:00 PM »
Tom,

I tried using my Ameristep pop up blind last season. It was large enough for both Andrew and I to sit in and still be able to shoot my TS MAG,(measurements listed below) from.

BUT in the early deer season it was like a sauna inside. The blind was in a shady area and brushed in real nice. But man I could not stand sitting in there sweating my rear end off.

Another down side to pop up blinds IMHO is that there is very limited visability. The deer are on top of you befor ya know it. Maybe if I had a more open area to place it like on the edge of a field visability might be better.

I prefer instead, using natural ground blinds and sit on my very well made tree seat that you made for me.

Just trying to give you another avenue of thought Bud.   :thumbsup:
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2009, 07:28:00 AM »
Yukon Tracks Enforcer for the reqasons already disussed. I have 3 of them. Love em.
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©