3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: California hunters  (Read 1063 times)

Offline unclewhit

• Trad Bowhunter
California hunters
« on: July 14, 2009, 03:46:00 PM »
Archery season for deer is already open here in certain areas. Tell us where your hunting, you don't have to give away your honey holes, just the zone you hunt.  And maybe add how many days you plan on being in the field.
unclewhit
Bob lee signature series
Schafer Silvertip
Howard Hill "Tembo"

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: California hunters
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 01:13:00 AM »
There are hunters that do well here but I'm not one of them. Weather, access, and game populations slowed me down on California hunting a number of years ago. When they started the "Adventure Pass" program I stopped altogether. Now I save up for trips to chase javelina in Arizona.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 07:49:00 AM »
I live in Northeastern California I hunt A-12 or A-11 and I drew and Antelope tag this year.Blake
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 11:02:00 AM »
I am in Santa Barbara CO, hunting A31 and A20 this year.

Also hoping to fill my bear tag and chase a few pigs as well.

Also looking for a public land spot somewhere to chase a Fall Thunder Chicken.

Good luck ya'll
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 11:25:00 AM »
I hunt Cazadero, Healdsburg and Valley of the Moon (Sonoma). All matchbox properties near vinyards. (Largest is 40 acres)

I spent all last weekend in the woods, and I plan on doing the same this weekend. Cazadero and Healdsburg also have hogs so I cary a tag ($20 per pig this year!! ARGH!!!) for them too.

Unlike many others (unfortunately) I DO like to share - even my 'honey holes' with others - given they are the type who reciprocate the favor. That being said, if any of y'all find yourself in Sonoma County give me a holler, we'll share a campfire and God willing a backstrap.
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 11:34:00 AM »
I will be on my first hunt wednesday(A tag). I have a customer that gave me access to his ranch and no one hunts it. Soooooooo we will see?
I live on the coast in central California but hunt another ranch in northern Ca deer and pigs(Lake County). I'll be going north next week.
I also drew MA3 tag late season (rut?) muzzleloader or archery in santa barbara county a general tag in Montana and unit 34 archery elk in New Mexico !!!!
Now I just need to find a way to get the time off and the $$$$$$ to do it. Mack and cheese with game meat (Please) for the next year or two!!!

Should be a busy season      :pray:    :pray:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 11:40:00 AM »
Stop by for a frosty one Coaster!
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 11:46:00 AM »
A cold one sounds good after 6 hrs of driving......I am thru that area half dozen time a year. My daughter lives in Lake County (works for Clearlake PD).

Good luck and FIRE UP one of those match boxes !!!

Ryan
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline dan ferguson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 12:15:00 PM »
Maybe some of you California hunters can answer this, Why do you hold the deer season in the summer? When does you rut kick in? and how far is antler devolpment? Just something I,ve always wondered

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 12:42:00 PM »
Not sure why but it's been this way for as long as I can remember in the A zones(maybe it limits the kill).
Most of the X zones are fall hunts. The B zones are later and have some rut activity.
I drew a late season tags this year and that should be in the rut. The A tags are unlimited not draw and I for one am glad that they do it in the summer. It leaves the fall for hunting other places.  

:bigsmyl:

Offline Chad Panattoni

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 12:45:00 PM »
I live in fontana,about 45 miles from L.A.. This year I m huntin A31 and D11.I missed 5 times in one day at 3 different bucks during the rut last year.But I got there number this year!
Psalm 18: I love You,Lord,my Strength

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 12:46:00 PM »
This is a good site for information on Blacktail. Hope it helps.

http://www.blacktailcountry.com/html/blkpage.htm

Offline dan ferguson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 01:05:00 PM »
Thanks coaster, that was a good read, Its always intresting to read about different areas.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 01:49:00 PM »
Just PM me when you're going to be in the area Coaster, we'll make it happen!

As for your question Dan, we live in California. Trying to make sense of our game laws will give you one hell of a headache. Things like our deer season dates just drive me nuts. Makes absolutely no sense. As far as antlers, many are still in velvet right now, and I've NEVER been able to hunt a rut in California or a doe for that matter despite the fact that our deer population is over carrying capacity and has been for decades. I can't tell you how many scrawny dry does I see every year!

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 02:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by dan ferguson:
Maybe some of you California hunters can answer this, Why do you hold the deer season in the summer? When does you rut kick in? and how far is antler devolpment? Just something I,ve always wondered
Now Now this is California you dont want to disturb the little furry animals while they are trying to reproduce do you?

Realy though its been this way forever and i realy think politics were involved this IS California ya know  :banghead:    :banghead:
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2009, 02:29:00 PM »
D12 & A22  I hunt the sand dunes and the San Diego Mountains.  Deer are real small in the mountians, but the desert holds big mulies. Only draw back it's about 100 deg at mid dayduringthe season...
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2009, 04:20:00 PM »
Your gonna be plenty warm in those ASAT coveralls You bought from Me then Mark. LOL

How You doing?

Offline dan ferguson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2009, 04:39:00 PM »
That should make ti easy, burnt cork and a pair of flip flops and your good to go. Maybe some gymshorts if your modest like me.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2009, 05:03:00 PM »
Have any of you guys hunted the Trinity Alps area? I have read that it is good deer hunting there....?
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline deadpool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2009, 05:20:00 PM »
I was hoping to hunt this summer but I leave in a month =/ I just dont see the light anymore, good luck on your hunts guys!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©