3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: California hunters  (Read 1064 times)

Offline bro-n-arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: California hunters
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2009, 04:14:00 PM »
I have been thinking for a long time about moving to the central coast.I love trad archery and would love to make new friends in that area. It would sure make the move a lot easier.Been bowhunting all my life and don't plan to stop until the good LORD calls me home.
Psalm 71:18 Now also when I am old and gray-headed,O God, do not forsake me,Until I declare your strength to this generation.

Offline PASQUINELL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2009, 09:17:00 PM »
I read this and just had to give my two cents worth. Lived in LaMirada for about 25 years with a few stints in Garbage Grove..uhh I mean Garden Grove. That state is awsome for the weather but I could not hang with how things were starting to regress and allowing it to become a breeding ground for illegals, gangsters and an "anything goes state" Morals were being forgotten and I had a 8 year old daughter I wanted to grow up elswhere.
I worked in Azusa and hunted,hiked the San Gabriel mountains everytime I could. Blacktails everywhere along with some bunnies that were huge! As time went on I came across a whole bunch of people in the woods. Everything from homless camps to areas I thought I might get killed in for seeing something I shouldnt have. You realy need to get off the beaten path and go deep. Watch them rattlers and scorps and good luck. Lived the Golden state but that gold is really starting to tarnish.
"I can skin a GRIZZ as fast as you can catch um"...HA! stay right there pilgrim I'll be back!
JOHN 3:16

Offline BTH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2009, 12:43:00 AM »
I hear ya Pas...Public land around here is hard unless you possess the will to go deep and the awareness to avoid the pot growers. Private land, even the postage stamp size lots, are where it is at and even then you have to be on patrol to run off trespassers, poachers, growers. I have three properties that access their piece through our gate. We access our gate through four other properties. No locks on any gates since the main gate's power supply went down over the winter. Now I have to track down all the folks I need to talk to to get locks on our gate. Right now I have a cuddeback in a bear safe lagged to a post on security duty to watch for trespassers.
With all that said though...I was just thinking today that California coastal foothills was a very pretty place to live and hunt and enjoy the outdoors.
Pork, Oysters, and Beer...the Holy Trinity (Anthony Bourdain).

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2009, 12:57:00 AM »
There's a reason I stick around. And there's few places on earth like the California high country. Some of the wilderness areas I've been in are breathtaking, and if you're willing to do a little hiking, you'll get away from EVERYONE!

I still love it here. Where there's secrets, there's places you can have it all, and like Toby said, sometimes a postage stamp property can keep you consistently fed (and amply satisfied).    :thumbsup:
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2009, 12:57:00 AM »
That's aptly ... sorry, late
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline Jimikinz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2009, 12:58:00 PM »
I'm in San Diego.  Hunt the D16 zone with the archery either-sex tags. Anyone else from down here?
Thanks,
Jim Anderson

Offline BTH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2009, 07:36:00 PM »
No, Juan...amply is the correct descriptive pronoun in your case...
Pork, Oysters, and Beer...the Holy Trinity (Anthony Bourdain).

Offline rxhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2009, 08:52:00 PM »
I hunt the D6 zone and do pretty well. I had a streak of 8 yrs in a row, but the last 2 have left me empty handed. I hunt public land and let the buzards on atv's push the deer into pockets where I have a treestand. It took me a few years to figure it out, but works ok. I hunted a private ranch in the A-zone last week, but it was too darn hot. 106 degrees. The only buck we saw was on someone elses ranch and we could not touch him even though he was only 20 yds off the road on our way out.

The D zones open up in a few weeks and I am gearing up for it. If you get into the high country and back in about 6 miles or so, it can be very good, but I still hunt with my father who is 72 and he cant do those trips anymore. Hope everyone has a good hunt, take care Ben.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©