3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Longbow Shooters - Help  (Read 662 times)

Offline oneshot-onekill

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Longbow Shooters - Help
« on: July 14, 2009, 04:24:00 PM »
Just started shooting a longbow....for about the sixth time...usually sell them off and go back to my recurves...anyway I'm trying. My question is this...what am I doing wrong....Everytime I shoot I always hit my forearm....am I holding it wrong or what? Thanks in advance.
Proverbs 16:9
TGMM Family of the Bow

Terry Barker

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Longbow Shooters - Help
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 04:30:00 PM »
You may be holding it wrong and/or your brace height is too low.  Brace heights are usually lower on longbows, and it isn't uncommon for the string to hit one's arm.  That's why we wear arm guards.  On the other hand, if you have a very target like stance, which a lot of folks who shoot recurves do, quite upright, perpendicular to the target, and with a fairly straight bow arm, it's quite likely that shooting a longbow with that stance will cause the string to catch your arm.  So, there's at least three things you can try.  1.  turn into the target a little more, 2, put a little more bend in your bow arm, and 3, raise your brace height.  Good luck.

Offline Leland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 04:35:00 PM »
Terry it sounds like your shooting it like a recurve.For me, I have to bend my elbow more & open up my stance.You will probaly have to cant the bow alittle more also.Hope this helps,and stick with it.
Leland

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 04:37:00 PM »
The bow arm bend was a good one for me.  I draw about 1/2"-3/4" shorter on the LB than the curve.  Also a good deep hook on release keeps the string from heading in the direction of my arm and eliminates some torque.  I use the suitcase grip with less of your hand rotated behind the grip so more of your hand is on the side of the grip more.  That keeps my forearm out a little more and the LB just seems to like it that way.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Leland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 04:38:00 PM »
Sorry Jerry, we were posting at the same time.
Leland

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 06:43:00 PM »
I always found that when I used to switch from my recurve to my longbow it all came down to how I was holding the bow. I have to hold my longbows with more of the heel of my hand..
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 06:56:00 PM »
ive never shot a longbow that didn't have some kind of "string slap" on the bow arm. some have more than others. it would also help, for you to tell us what kind of long bow you are shooting also. on selfbows the brace height is fairly low, 5 1/2- 7 ", ive noticed on glass bows even hh type bows that the brace height are considerably higher. then you have the extremely short longbows with highly reflex-deflex profiles that have brace heights as high as most recurves. i agree with orion on 2 points, turning into the target more and bending your elbow more with the bow hand. what also may be a factor do you cant the long bow or not. this also may helpin your shooting or not. but you might want to experiment a little with this aproach. most long bows , particularly selfbows are not center shot so you will experience some " string slap" it just depends to what degree it exists.  good luck and keep shootin
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 06:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by Orion:
You may be holding it wrong and/or your brace height is too low.  Brace heights are usually lower on longbows, and it isn't uncommon for the string to hit one's arm.  That's why we wear arm guards.  On the other hand, if you have a very target like stance, which a lot of folks who shoot recurves do, quite upright, perpendicular to the target, and with a fairly straight bow arm, it's quite likely that shooting a longbow with that stance will cause the string to catch your arm.  So, there's at least three things you can try.  1.  turn into the target a little more, 2, put a little more bend in your bow arm, and 3, raise your brace height.  Good luck.
Exactly...   :thumbsup:
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 06:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by broketooth:
ive never shot a longbow that didn't have some kind of "string slap" on the bow arm. some have more than others. it would also help, for you to tell us what kind of long bow you are shooting also. on selfbows the brace height is fairly low, 5 1/2- 7 ", ive noticed on glass bows even hh type bows that the brace height are considerably higher. then you have the extremely short longbows with highly reflex-deflex profiles that have brace heights as high as most recurves. i agree with orion on 2 points, turning into the target more and bending your elbow more with the bow hand. what also may be a factor do you cant the long bow or not. this also may helpin your shooting or not. but you might want to experiment a little with this aproach. most long bows , particularly selfbows are not center shot so you will experience some " string slap" it just depends to what degree it exists.  good luck and keep shootin
:eek:  Wow...I dont wear an armgaurd at all, and dont get any "slap" at all..
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 07:09:00 PM »
i have shot other long bows besides my self bows and have gotten slapped pretty good by some. batman let me shoot a rw dakota long bow that got me pretty good right above the arm guard, i didnt shoot it long. i also have a vine maple  selfbow that pulled 62 #@ 28 that would get ya right through the arm guard and would leave a welt. and i experimented with different brace heights on that bow in the beginning and found that it shot best @6 1/4 brace hieght. i guess what im trying to say is that part of the equasion depends on the bow
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 07:47:00 PM »
You can usually tune out arm slap. I don't tolerate it. If you can't tune it out, change bows!   :)
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline oneshot-onekill

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 12:02:00 AM »
Thanks for the info guys....I am shooting a Morrison Shawnee. I don't shoot with an arm guard with my recurves so didnt think to use one with the longbow...bad idea and I've got the bruises to prove it...ouchhhh...will try changing my grip and bow arm position alittle at a time and see how that works....I have the brace set at 7" right now...will also open my stance some...thanks again...
Proverbs 16:9
TGMM Family of the Bow

Terry Barker

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 12:46:00 AM »
I have two bows. A 66" long, 42# @ 30" Blacktail Elite TD recurve that shoots a 32" long, 2018 aluminum arrow with 150 grain point weight. The brace height on the Blacktail is 7 3/4" and the nocking point is 9/16" above the shelf. The bowstring doesn't hit my arm so no arm guard is needed. I tuned my 68" long, 41# @ 30" Belcher Longhorn hybrid longbow today and I tried many different sized aluminum arrows (2016, 2018 and 2114), different brace heights, nocking point heights and point weights from 125 grains to 210 grains. This hybrid longbow likes a 7 1/2" brace height, with a 9/16" above the shelf nocking point and shoots a 32" long, 2114 aluminum arrow with a 210 grain point weight. The bowstring doesn't hit my arm, the arrow hits where I look, flies like a dart and no arm guard is needed. It can also handle a 175 grain point weight and the bowstring doesn't hit my arm either. With 2016 and 2018 arrows shooting 125 grains to 210 grains, the bowstring grazed my arm, but not too hard. Just experiment like I did and you'll find the arrow size, point weight, brace height and nocking point height which when it all comes together, the bowstring won't hit your arm.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 06:54:00 AM »
Be sure to hold the bow like you are picking up a suitcase. It will feel odd for a while, but it will really help keep your wrist from torquing and your forearm from becoming shredded.
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 07:57:00 AM »
I agree with Frassettor.  I don't even own an arm guard.  Rarely to I experience string slap, when I do, it's me.  As others have said, raise your brace height a little, change your grip a little.  try one then the other, not both at once.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2009, 01:31:00 PM »
No armguards here either.  And, I shoot my longbows and recurves the same.  The Cheyenne isn't a longbow, per se, it is a three piece hybrid, so the brace shouldn't be such a big difference I wouldn't think.

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2009, 01:45:00 PM »
I am glad you guys posted. I can't see how in the world with all the talk about a good release and minimizing arrow contact and such that a string slamming into your armguard is not going to effect accuracy.  Then again I can't believe how a arrow bends like it does and still hits so accurate either.  I have never used one except I did put some duct tape on some bulky coat sleeves one very cold winter to keep from contact with the string.  Does it really not make much difference in accuracy?

Offline geno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2009, 01:45:00 PM »
I will agree with Frassettor also. Use your heel roll your pinky and ring finger to the L if you shoot RH.
"Learning how to shoot a bow is easy if you learn the right way"..Howard Hill

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2009, 01:55:00 PM »
For me it's all about hand position and elbow position.

Look at the palm of your hand and notice the line that goes past the base joint of your thumb and out towards your wrist.  That line should be either centered on the grip or a little to the left for a right handed shooter.  Next, when you draw your bow, rotate your bow arm shoulder and elbow clockwise.  This will make your elbow point to the left horizontal to the ground and will also provide quite a bit of string clearance especially if your elbow is just slightly bent.  For most guys, you don't have to deliberately bend your elbow, the natural bend is enough.

Lastly, if you bend just a little at the waist it will give even more clearance.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2009, 03:11:00 PM »
Been slapping my wrist with a longbow for fifteen years now.

Guess I just don't shoot it right.

String slap isn't a big deal unless you are digging holes in your forearm.  An armguard takes care of the problem with little fuss.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©