3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help me build my broadheads UPDATE!  (Read 502 times)

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
Help me build my broadheads UPDATE!
« on: July 14, 2009, 08:46:00 PM »
I'm shooting full length GT 35/55 out of my new Stingray #45 @ 28" and drawn to 29.5" bareshafting tells me I need a total of 250 grains up front, so my question is how to build it. I already have 100 grain brass inserts and was thinking of putting some 100 grain Grizzlys on the long 42 grain aluminum adapters or using 50 grain brass inserts and 100 grain Grizzlys with 100 grain steel adapters. Any opinions on these two choices or throw in your own if you'd like.
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

"BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW"

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help me build my broadheads UPDATE!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 09:01:00 PM »
Free advice.....

When you add brass inserts, you change the dynamic spine of your arrow.  What I'm saying is.....an arrow with a 100gr. brass insert and a 75gr. tip "may" not (hint-hint) react the same as an arrow with a reg. insert and a total of 175gr. tip.

If it were me....I'd use a weighted adaptor and make up the diff. in my BH choice.

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 09:13:00 PM »
I've shot the arrow with the 100 grain insert and a 150 grain head and the flight is perfect. I also thought about just buying the Zwickey Eskimo, it's 160 grains. Then I just have to decide 2 or 4 blade.
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 09:15:00 PM »
sounds good to me.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 09:18:00 PM »
If it were me, and I needed 250 grains up front, I'd put the majority of the weight in the head itself for head strength.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 09:38:00 PM »
If you tuned it with the brass insert, it's a moot point.  I thought you were looking for alternative ways to get to your ideal.

Good luck.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 09:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:
If it were me, and I needed 250 grains up front, I'd put the majority of the weight in the head itself for head strength.
Bingo!

I'd remove the brass inserts, go back to the regular ones, and put the added weight into a stronger broadhead.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 06:18:00 AM »
I'm not sure how you can get good flight with a GT3555 with that much weight up front, with your draw the arrow would need to be close to full length. With the weight and length I would think they will be very weak in spine unless your bow is no were near center cut. I shoot a Bear Grizzly 45# @28 drawn to 28" with GT3555's cut to 29.5 having a 50gr brass insert and 135 total weight broadhead, when i tried to shoot a little heavier head they were way weak. I'm not questioning your tuning abilities but to me your formula doesn't add up right, I have played around a lot with 3555's with bows in the 40 to 48 pound range and never could put that much weight up front with that length of shaft.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 07:21:00 AM »
Like Terry I would rather add the weight in a stronger broadhead instead of the insert.Most 100gn broadheads are pretty weak compared to the heavier ones.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 09:53:00 AM »
WW with 125 steel BH adaptor is a good setup. Aluminum insert in arrow.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 10:17:00 AM »
Yeah, it would be stronger and cheaper to go with a heavier broadhead and insert combo.  Use the stock al insert in the arrow.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 05:47:00 PM »
Just know that if you go with the stock incert and have tuned with the 100 grain brass incert you will in effect lenghten the arrow by 3/8 to 1/2" and the arrow might shoot week
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 07:00:00 PM »
If I'm getting this right, seems like everyone's in favor of putting as much weight in the head itself as possible. So are the aluminum adapters that much weaker than the aluminum shaft inserts? How about a 150 grain Grizzly on a 100 grain adapter or maybe a 130 grain Zwickey No Mercy on a 125 steel adapter, but if I do that and I've changed the spine by using the aluminum insert instead of the brass should I go with a 150 grain head on a 75 grain adapter? I can't go much shorter than full length here.
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 08:56:00 PM »
I am new to traditional and have 4 to 5 dozen 55/75 gold tip pros from my compound. I tried to make them work with heavy 200 to 300 grain heads and found that they broke up very easy. I found your various posts on footing carbons and found some 11/32 x .014 round brass tubing and guess what? I cut pieces little over 3/4". I used a plumbers tubing cutter and the deburing tool from my reloading stuff. Here is the result. Using the Dynamic spine calculator (set up for Trads not Pros) 545gr arrow with 302 grains up front for 24.1 % f.o.c. The weight was off because pros weigh less than trads but they shoot perfect from my bow (47@ 26.75). The aluminum inserts were in the arrow already, I used 125 grain steel adapters and 125 grain woodsmans. With footing, insert, adapter and woodsman 302 gr. I shot one of these into a cinderblock wall the woodsman stuck so hard that I couldn't get it out without destroying it (Oppppps)but the shaft was good as new!!!
Heres a picture of the done deal with a 250 grain field tip..

The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 10:09:00 PM »
coaster- just to let you know. a 2117 fits perfectly on a black 55/75. if you ever use brass inserts though you have to reduce the head of it down a little to match the shaft to get it to slide over the insert.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2009, 10:24:00 PM »
Thanks ozy..I didn't have access to a 2117 and the hardware store in next to my house:) It just worked out that this stock tubing fit perfect. Heres the finished Arrow. I'm going hunting in the morning hope I get the chance to use one.
The red stuff is foam from my quiver. The woodsman is shaving sharp (man they are hard to get sharp)

This is FOC     :)    

The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2009, 01:11:00 PM »
Update, I took the brass insert out of my GT35/55 and replaced it with the aluminum, and borrowed a 250 grain broadhead (Bear Razor on a 125 adapter) and fieldpoint. Couldn't get it to shoot worth a FLYIN' FART. Just for grins I tried them in my 30" 1916s and I'm gonna go with that setup for sure. Bare shaft, field point and broadhead are flying straight and true, hitting hard and all within an inch of each other @ 20 yards. 585 grains total weight and 18% FOC. Since I'm primarily a deer and hog hunter I think I've got more than enough UMPH now. Thanks for the help and suggestions.
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2009, 07:31:00 PM »
I felt that they would be too weak for your setup, if you decide to try carbon again trade what you have for some 5575's with those 100 gr inserts and a heavy head, you will have better luck.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2009, 07:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by shortstroke 91:
Update, I took the brass insert out of my GT35/55 and replaced it with the aluminum, and borrowed a 250 grain broadhead (Bear Razor on a 125 adapter) and fieldpoint. Couldn't get it to shoot worth a FLYIN' FART. Just for grins I tried them in my 30" 1916s and I'm gonna go with that setup for sure. Bare shaft, field point and broadhead are flying straight and true, hitting hard and all within an inch of each other @ 20 yards. 585 grains total weight and 18% FOC. Since I'm primarily a deer and hog hunter I think I've got more than enough UMPH now. Thanks for the help and suggestions.
Sounds like you have an arrow that will do the job, time to go stick somthing and then post some pics  :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©