3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Robertson V/S Black Widow  (Read 1440 times)

Offline Mocsin1

• Trad Bowhunter
Robertson V/S Black Widow
« on: July 14, 2009, 08:57:00 PM »
Thinking of trading my Black Widow for a Robertson. Would like to here some input on how the Robertson compares to Black Widow. Opinions and facts both appreciated. Thanks!!

Offline woodworker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Robertson V/S Black Widow
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 09:11:00 PM »
I have a custom Robertson Stykbow Vision Falcon and another in the works and to me there is no better bow out there.  Dick stands behind all his work which is top shelf, not just in the mechanics but in the wood working as well.  He uses several different cores depending on the application so the action is crisp and quiet.  The bow I have hits very hard, tuned with out any fuss and most important it is consistent and forgiving, a great target or hunting bow maker, not to mention he makes each and everyone of them.  I think trading in the Black Widow for one of Dick's stykbows is a definite trade up, all the best , Joe

Offline ka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 09:31:00 PM »
I know i am one of the rare few who own or have owned Black Widows who cant shoot them well but i never could ,after repeated trying.Loved the design and workmanship of the bow. On the other hand always could shoot the Robertson bow very good. They were quieter(much) smoother on the draw,Faster, and had a excellent grip. IMO i would and have chosen the Robertson between the two.

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 09:38:00 PM »
Though I have never really shot a Black Widow (I have held one but it was a lefty), I own a Robertson Vision Falcon IV.  It is the best recurve I have ever shot, period.  It fits like a glove in the hand, shoots smoothly with no stacking at 28" and hits where I look.  Plus, the bow is simply beautifully made.  I bought the bow second hand, contacted Dick, and he was more than cordial with me about the bow's history.  Even though he did not sell me the bow directly, he still took time to speak with me about it.  I cannot say enough good things about Robertson bows or Dick.  If I were in your position, I would do that trade all day.
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline LoneWolf73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 09:45:00 PM »
My Robertson "Purist" is whisper quiet and thumps an arrow. Prefer it over Widows I have shot. Just an opinion though. Best way is to shoot both bows side by side if possible. Good luck.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-BOW in one hand-ARROWS in the other-Body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming-WOO HOO! WHAT A RIDE!

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 09:45:00 PM »
Have to disagree guys... I've shot them both plenty and the Widow is the best shooting recurve I've ever handled. But everyone is different so just my opinion.  I would Not say trading in a widow is an upgrade.. Blasphemy hahahah....
Blessings,
Steve

Offline flyfish1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 09:50:00 PM »
I have owned a widow and only shot a Robertson and if I didnt build my own bows would be shooting Dicks bows. Much better than the widow in my opinion and super folks to talk to.
Ron A        

"When the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice,for we are hunters and we want our freedom"
         ~Sitting Bull

Offline grizzlyxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 11:30:00 PM »
I have owned both.  Robertson makes a good bow and they are pretty.  That being said I think the Widow is better hands down.  The Robertson may fit you better though.  Better shoot one first.  I wouldn't trade my widow for 2 Robertson's, but thats just me.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 11:45:00 PM »
Never shot a robertson but have one coming. I have shot several widows and I was not impressed. My good friend loves them though.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 11:46:00 PM »
Both are as good as it gets...but they are 2 different styles of bows.  Pick which one works best for you...or even better, have one of each.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 03:23:00 AM »
I have owned a Robertson Mystical longbow and it was sweet. The quality was top of the line and it hit where you were looking.That being said I have owned three widows and my latest a New PL longbow is a fine a bow as I`ve ever owned.

Believe it or not...those that know me know that I have the dreaded "can`t shoot one bow long" sickness. I`m actually tired of all the horsetrading and believe I have found one I intend to keep in this plII.

I recommend having both and if I liked the Widow I would`nt trade it.RC

Offline gsdmikko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 07:45:00 AM »
I have a Robertson vision falcon V ,and another vision on the way soon..the grip fits me like a glove( love it) and the shelf sits right close to the knuckle which made for shooting instictive very easy..have shot trad for 15yrs,and have shot plenty of different bows and hands down this is the smoothest and best performing bow in my opinion..  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Follow Your Dreams
" It's better to die Livin'
  Than live Dyin "

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 07:56:00 AM »
I have both Black Widow and Robertson,both of them are excellent bows; But if I have to choose I prefere the Robertson it is smoother,quieter,easier to fine tune and for elk hunting much more lighter.The Black widow for its mass is a little more stable and forgiving,but just of a little.Since you master your Robertson you don't come back and the new Fatal Styk is much better too!!!!
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 03:02:00 PM »
I'd take either one but trade two of them for a Border. I have found however that, as with skiis, you can try something new and you can quickly conclude that "this is the best ever!" Now the new thing is foam yet smoothness can be measured and there is no added advantage to foam in terms of smoothness-it's all string angles and design etc. Try it yourself by putting two exact bows (one wood, one foam) on that machine that measures draw force curves. But it's new. Hit a few bulls with the new foam bow and you'll be buying one. Robinhood with some other bow and the order is in. It's all fun and I'll never quit shooting other people's bows but I think I'm with RC, I might have quit buying more and will just keep what I have.   :)   Right now it's a Border GL longbow with that old fashioned longbow handle and "D" shape when strung, 64". Because that is what a longbow is to me. Of course, tomorrow I might buy a hybrid.   :)  So anyway, I guess what I'm saying is just keep what you have and save the postage.   :D    :thumbsup:
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 03:36:00 PM »
Fatal Styk Z 2009.58"-61# Honduras Rosewood with Ebony stripe-Bocote limbs.SMOOTH,QUIET,ACCURATE
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline chad graham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2009, 03:46:00 PM »
i have two friends who shoot black widows and have shot them both they are nice shooters but i like my robertson WAY better!!! in my opinion robertson is the best they are great shooters.the bw's all kinda look the same and robertsons are all different and all beautiful bows,but even if my robertson was flat black i would rather have it than a black widow.

Offline PhilFloyd

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2009, 04:35:00 PM »
I currently have a Robertson Vision Falcon II and a BW PSAX.  They are both very fine bows.  As said above, they are completely different in design.  Both are very well constructed and good looking.  I get similar performance from both.  I would not hesitate to take either hunting with complete confidence in their ability to get the job done.

To me, the only real edge that the Robertson has is that it is lighter.  The BW is pretty heavy.

You have a BW so you know how you like it.  Robertson will send you a bow to try with just a credit card as security.  I would suggest having him send you one to try.

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2009, 09:09:00 PM »
Widows are all run of the mill unless you get the X version.  I shot one the same weight and length as my chekmate and my bow was noticeably faster.  Overrated in my opinion.

Get the Robertson.
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline L82HUNT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2009, 09:23:00 PM »
BlackWidows are for me the best bow I have ever shot.  The Robertson I shot was a decent bow but no Widow. The owner of the Robertson even said "man thats a shooter" after he shot my Widow.  Just a couple more weeks and a PSRX will be at my house to go along with a few other Widows.   ;)  

You dont build bows for this long without being one of the best.

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2009, 09:32:00 PM »
I like widows-  last two lifetimes easy,  and are great shooters.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©