3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I need a 12 step program  (Read 460 times)

Offline ballen28115

• Trad Bowhunter
I need a 12 step program
« on: July 15, 2009, 05:10:00 PM »
With all due respect to members of real recovery programs:

I'll make this brief.  I got back into trad 1 year ago this month after being away for 20+ years. During that time I got married twice, played around with Harleys (all gone) and guns (mostly all gone)and classic cars (thankfully all gone) as hobbies, got a degree, found the Lord, had some kids, quit smoking, and gained 20 pounds.

Last summer I bought a bow, a nice used Martin Hunter.  "It's not that big a deal", I told my wife.  "I'll just goof around in the back yard with it.  I'll be able to teach archery better to the Cub Scouts".

Fast forward 12 months:  The Hunter is gone, are are 22 others that came and went - bought, sold, traded, or given away.  They range from an almost perfect Blacktail to a cracked and dirty Ben Pearson Super Jet.  In addition to that, there are 13 in my office at home with me, 10 for me and 3 for the kids.  Do the math, I have a 3 bow a month habit.

Do I need to go to a meeting?

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: I need a 12 step program
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 05:21:00 PM »
You dont have a problem, it sounds like your just getting started to me  :saywhat:
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 05:42:00 PM »
I just started shooting traditional 3 months ago and im shooting a ACS and i have 5 custom bows ordered and i have bought 3 older Bears. Yep save me a seat and a cup of coffee.  :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline deadpool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 05:48:00 PM »
I hope I dont become as bad as you guys!!! lol

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 06:14:00 PM »
I don't understand, what's your problem?  Bill

Offline acadian archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 06:25:00 PM »
you just need to find the right one, much like marriage LOL.

I have had my Chek Mate Kings Pawn for years.....although I am attracted to those Cascade Bows,

well, maybe it just isn't as cut and dry as I though it was, and that Chek Mate Hunter II sure looks sweet,

no no stciking to one bow.... 100 % sure, well maybe just a quick peek, no pretty sure.
44# Chek mate Hunter II

"shoot what you like, like what you shoot"

Offline Ozzielon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 07:29:00 PM »
Can I order my cup of coffee early?

Been away for 20+ years and started shooting compound 2 mo. ago, sold that after shooting a Bear recurve and now have a Ben Pearson and a custom on the way.

This traditional archery is where it's at.

Wife will be surprised when custom arrives, I'll share the Pearson.

Offline goblism

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 11:32:00 PM »
Coming here is like an alcoholic going to a bar for help, you will only get encouragement not to quit or worry about the problem.

But trad archery is a GOOD addiction, I have been eying out customs bows for a while, dreaming of a cocobola with ebony accents on a nice longbow for a while from several different bowyers.  

The important thing is to not spend too much on it, AKA more than you can afford.  My college budget doesn't allow for a custom bow, so unfortunately i have to wait (although i still find myself at the order forms at a couple of bowyers websites eying out what i could do to afford one)

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 11:50:00 PM »
Your doing just perfect Bert.Just loose the 20#s and make sure you pick the wife well and you will be right on track.One of the wifes must be a real good cook LOL.

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 11:51:00 PM »
I'll take care of your bows while you're in rehab   :D    :D

David
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 12:53:00 AM »
The only problem I see is that you're possibly hunting the same section of Tradgang that I love to hang out in - the Classifieds.

:D  

Which is okay, I suppose - just don't get all of them.   :D
Support the sport!

Offline unclewhit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 02:38:00 AM »
I'm not quite sure, but I don't see a problem
Keep on keepin' on and have fun.
unclewhit
Bob lee signature series
Schafer Silvertip
Howard Hill "Tembo"

Offline ishisaxton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 06:30:00 AM »
Welcome Aboard there is plenty of room!!
Michael

Offline 3blades

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 06:46:00 AM »
A man goes through many changes and hobbies in life and the more spices the better but in the end all roads lead to the trad bow....   :help:
60's Bear Cub    45#@28"
Samick Stingray  50#@28"
Hickory self bow 55#@28"
HH Big 5 Longbow 65#@28"
Bears paw T/D LB 75#@28"

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 08:32:00 AM »
Yep you have a problem! Talk to the Rowan brothers they should beable to help you.  :goldtooth:   If you guys just co ordinated your purchases perhaps you could get a bulk discount.
hunt it

Offline see

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2009, 09:04:00 AM »
what you have is the pursuit of becoming a great archer.when you start hitting real well our brain automatically tells us"i might shoot better with another type bow".we then begin to see all the good quality bows on this site and we get hooked in the pursuit of the best bow for us.when you attend some quality shoots you try them out and,yes some do shoot better we think than what we own.if we can ever learn to practice well and learn with what we have then you can pick up just about any bow and enjoy watching the arrow leave the shelf.nothing wrong with more than 1 bow but when you get in the woods you only take your "go to bow".with that said,try and get acquainted with what you have and the more this is true for you you will enjoy it all the more.
see

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2009, 09:15:00 AM »
Yup... you're good...

I started shooting archery (again) 2 years ago when I inherited a Browning Wasp recurve from my grandfather in AL.  I learned to shoot that for about a year, then got into the custom stuff.  Since then I have owned 3 White Wolf Custom bows (2 recurves and a longbow w/ a carbon core), a Bear Montana, and recently bought a gently used Robertson Vision Falcon IV (the best bow I have ever shot... well Morrisons are amazing too!).  Plus I have owned two wheel bows (Bear and Elite Archery).  I just love archery and bows!!

So, yeah, there's really nothing wrong with you... it is a GOOD HEATHY addiction... just make sure you keep it in the budget concerning money and family  ;)
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2009, 09:44:00 AM »
What ever you do, don't start fooling around with self bows. Once that happens, you are hopeless.

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2009, 12:20:00 PM »
What I want to know is how you managed to only put on 20 pounds in 20 years? You got a tape worm or something?  :)
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2009, 12:24:00 PM »
In traditional archery I really don't know how else you can go. It's not like you can walk into a trad. archery shop and try out 5 or 6 bows like you can for compounds. A lot of us buy and sell bows to try out...some we keep, others we sell...and on and on it goes!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©