3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I need some fishing reel advice!!  (Read 415 times)

Offline Chris O

• Trad Bowhunter
I need some fishing reel advice!!
« on: July 16, 2009, 01:19:00 AM »
I'd like to try some bowfishing but could use some advice on picking out a rig. I shoot a fedora stalker and I had him install that insert on the front of the riser to accommodate a reel or stabilizer. Not sure if it matters but i'll be shooting carp any some other smaller catfish. Does anyone have any advice on what reel/setup I should get. Or ones that I should avoid? thanks, Chris

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I need some fishing reel advice!!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 08:36:00 AM »
Check out the Muzzy reels or go to Sully's bowfishing and see what they offer. Both great places to get bowfishing gear that has been tested and approved by people who need good equipment.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 10:52:00 AM »
This is it...AMS
Lon Scott

Offline Running Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 11:19:00 AM »

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 11:21:00 AM »
Chris, I would try and find a small metal wrap-around hub style reel with screw-in adapter, small investment. AMS reels are great but are a little pricey! I say Spend the money on a good pair of polarized glasses and arrow safety slide system. You could probably ask around to trade for or purchase cheap a reel of this type. I love Bowfishing! Good shootin, Steve

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 12:47:00 PM »
The AMS may be more expensive than other options, but the extra money spent comes back to you as pure performance.  It's simply the best and will enhance every aspect of your bowfishing.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Chris O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 01:26:00 PM »
I really appreciate the advice from everyone. Ive been reading up on the AMS reels and really like them. Does anyone know how they attach to the bow? From pictures it looks like it clamps to the side but I cant tell for sure.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 02:49:00 PM »
AMS attaches to the side of the bow. Thats why I suggested the spin cast options that you could attach to the stabilizer bushing. If you don't have inserts in the side of the riser for the AMS look for the side attachment gadget by Great Northern that will strap to your riser. Skip the wrap reels, safety and performance puts the AMS light years ahead of those (IMHO).
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 03:10:00 PM »
Chris,

The AMS reels are really good, but none of my bows have the screw-ins on the side. I just can't bring myself to drill more holes in them either.

I use a big Zebco brand "push-button" type reel on a screw in reel seat mount with spectra line, 150lbs test I think. If you look at them, be sure and get a model with brass gears (I think mine is and old 88 or 808, not sure). I picked it up at a garage sale for a buck and a half.

Definitely spend the money on the arrow slide set-up. It makes things much safer.

Good-luck and have fun!

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 04:42:00 PM »
If your shooting just carp and other small fish my vote goes for the spincast also. Just the absolute best way to bowfish if you don't need a float system hands down.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline Whitetail Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 05:37:00 PM »
Do your self a favor and buy the ams retriver reel. It is the best of the best, it will be the only one you need. Every one I know that went with somthing else ends up buying the ams and loved them. They all wish they had saved there self some money and bought it to start with.
Striker takedown rec. 52#@28
Hummingbird Alphamale rec. 53#@28
Zipper standard rec. 54#@28
Striker Slapstick 56#@28

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 06:28:00 PM »
Correct...I bought the Zebco spincast and after one outing I dumped it for the AMS. If you do not want to drill your bow (I drilled a flea market Shakespeare 50# bow), then get the strap-on adaptor.
Lon Scott

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 07:53:00 PM »
I took a piece of double sided foam tape and placed it on the back side of the mount on the AMS to keep any vibrations from scratching up the bow finish.  I positioned it where I wanted and stuck it to the riser of my Pronghorn then secured it with several wraps of electrical tape.  It is rock solid, no flex, no movement, no drilling, and no damage to the bow. Only takes a few minutes to put on and comes off even quicker. The traditional adapter would be another option but I like the retriever to sit closer to the bow on a narrow longbow riser.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 07:59:00 PM »
if you get a zebco spincast....REMEMBER TO PUSH THE BUTTON!!!!!

i just got one and went down to the farm dam to try it out. on about the 4th shot i forgot to push the button  :wavey:    :(  

i dragged the bottom of that dam for an hour with an anchor. you think i could jag that arrow? not with my luck. back to setting up another arrow.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 09:10:00 AM »
Ozy,

Ouch! That stinks. I have been guilty of the same thing. I keep the drag on my reel set fairly low. It seems to let enough line slip to avoid loosing the arrow, and it is simple to dial up if needed.

Ya know someone would make a million if they invented the bowfishing equivalent of the lighted nock. Maybe a little bobber that deploys on a light line after being submerged for more than 30 mins. (please send all offers to buy this idea to...)

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©