3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Old shafts for bow fishing  (Read 297 times)

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
Old shafts for bow fishing
« on: July 16, 2009, 10:28:00 AM »
Is it possible to use old slightly bent aluminum shafts for bow fishing? I have some that i that are somewhat straight but not usable on land for game. Could I just drill some holes and let em fly?
Combo Hunter 46@28

I came from nothing and I brought it with me.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Old shafts for bow fishing
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 10:35:00 AM »
A bowfishing arrow has to be pretty strong.That is why solid glass is used the most.Sure you can go shoot fish with what you have but fish arrows that will work much better are pretty cheap.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 10:49:00 AM »
What James said, but...

When I find shallow pools of carp and can do some wading, using old shafts without drilling holes will work. Chasing down your targets are most of the fun.
Lon Scott

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 04:09:00 AM »
nightowl1- as stated a heavy fiberglass shaft is needed for great penatration of water.  However, if you are shooting shallow (off bank or fish on surface) they will work.  I would strongly recommend getting a pack of slides for the shafts.  This way only have to drill a hole for stop and don't have to worry about an insert to keep line from getting cut.

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 12:24:00 PM »
Don Thomas wrote an article in TBM about doing that with old arrows and I think broadheads in shallow water. I say go for it. Good shootin, Steve

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 12:29:00 PM »
I took some of that aquarium tubing that terry suggested for weighting arrows and stuffed it in an arrow one time and I tell you what I bet that thing would penetrate the heck out of anything.  that is a very good, cheap way to get weight.

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 01:10:00 PM »
I'm getting ready to go and shoot some alligators and really wasn't excited about spending $22.50 per arrow for the really nice Muzzy arrows. I did buy a couple as the primary arrow, but have made my own out of standard aluminum arrows. The detachable head for alligator is the important part. I just took some good straight 2219s, filled them with 5 strands of weedeater cord and then filled the space with glue for a really nice and heavy shaft. The arrows havet to be really heavy for fish or gators. I'm only expecting to get one shot out the arrow, but it is WAY cheaper than $22.50!

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 03:11:00 PM »
I have put wooden dowels in old aluminum shafts and used them, but not with a bowfishing reel I just us them for wading and areas I can chase the fish down.
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 03:41:00 PM »
Check your local game regulations as well. In Alabama, fiberglass or solid metal arrows are required.(not sure where you would get solid metal arrows????)

Anyway, something to consider.
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©