3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 7th age Javi/hog 2010 planning post  (Read 2671 times)

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
7th age Javi/hog 2010 planning post
« on: July 16, 2009, 10:48:00 AM »
This thread is to help us get ready for the hunt. I know it is still 6 months out but hey, it won't hurt to get an early start.

Vanilla Gorilla (Cam) and I are booked for 24-29 Jan. I have a military buddy who is also probably going to attend the same time frame.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline toehead

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 7th age Javi/hog 2010 planning post
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 11:34:00 AM »
Great Idea Razorsharptokill

Myself, Buckster and Steel are all booked for 1-5 Jan.  I live in Western Oklahoma so if anyone else is booked from OK for these dates please chime in...I am driving from Western Oklahoma.
proud member of
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma
Oklahoma Self Bow Society
Leedey Archery Association
PBS
Comptons Traditional Bowhunters
Pope and Young Club

Offline Steel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 12:00:00 PM »
I am with toehead's group I have already double checked my gear I will need for the hunt. Stinking rats had ate holes in my tent other than that I think i am good to go.

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 12:05:00 PM »
Okies are invadin' over the red river!

I've been testing my broadhead/arrow flight this morning. If I could get my grizzlys to sharpen I'd use them, they fly great. Looks like Zwickey deltas for hogs and snuffers for Javies. I've heard that Curtis's hogs are "uparmored" like the hummers in Iraq.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
NRA Life Member.

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 12:13:00 PM »
Those Crane Hogs are tough. I Shot a 300# black one with a tree shark and never found it after trailing blood for over a mile  and a half it just gave out. Curtis is one great tracker too. His skills are amazing. The tusk on those badboys are better than any I have seen. The Javies carry some good cutters too. I did get one of those. I am out of work or I would be planning for this hunt too. Hope you all slay them.

Donald
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 04:03:00 PM »
I will be driving from Iowa and hunting January 18th-23rd.  I really hope to get a shot or two at the javelina.  Hogs and rabbits will be fun too.  I will probably be shooting my PLGA and bringing my A&H for backup.  CE Heritage 250's and woodsman broadheads will be what I am flinging at them.
  Any advise on the weather that time of the year?

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 04:46:00 PM »
Sending My deposit off tomorrow for My son, son-in-law and Myself I think We decided on the 18th - 23rd also.

I'll be shooting a Tomahawk SS and a Dryad Orion. Heritage 250's from the Tomahawk and GT 55/75 Traditionals from the Dryad. Not sure on broadheads yet.

Offline Joe Russell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 05:43:00 PM »
Sent deposits out today for me, my brother, and my friend for Jan. 4-8. First time hunting for javelinas, any tips to help a first timer.
 I'll be shooting a 50# DAS knetic hunter with
carbon heritage 150's and snuffer heads.

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 08:45:00 PM »
sending my deposit in tomorrow for the Jan. 24 thru 29. see you all their.

doug77

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 09:32:00 PM »
I'm a 1st timer too. From what I can tell by reading old posts and pm'ing members who have been there done that, is Curtis is the hog Jedi. He knows what he's talking about with the hogs and Javis on his ranches. I plan on doing a whole lot of listening and avoiding the learning curve he's already traversed.

As far as my gear, I'll be bringing my BBO with rivercane arrows tipped with Jeremy's hardened trade points. I think that set up will be reserved for smaller hogs and Javies.

My go to bow is a KennyM designed longbow that I built and is 55 @ 28" shooting Zwickey deltas on full ength GT 3555's. 100 grains of weight up front. If I could get my grizzlies sharp they would be going too.

Curtis told me that it could anywhere from 15 to 95 degrees so check the ten day forecast before you leave so you know what to pack.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
NRA Life Member.

Online The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 11:19:00 PM »
Same as Jim, I've never hunted javelina. Never been anywhere in Texas except for Amarillo and Dallas a few times.

For weapons, I'll be bringing a 48# Great Plains Rio Bravo, with 560gr of Beman shaft and Ace broadheads.

Also on my roster is a 54# longbow named Solomon Grundy (remember the Green Lantern comics?) Its big and ugly and shoots the same arrows as my recurve.

Think I'll be bringing a ghillie suit, too.

Offline Brent Hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 12:04:00 PM »
I went last year in may and took a 215 lb red pig on the last night but spooked a 350 plus pig the night before at 12 yards trying to draw.  We all hunted out of brush blind setups where you would shoot either sitting or kneeling.  I used a db stool but be ready to shoot in either way.  We also hunted until midnight and used blue lights with silent switches.   I used a small maglight taped to my stringtracker unit which screwed into my stabilizer insert on the riser.  I duck taped some blue plastic film on the light.  Other guys had tactical lights with blue lenses and silent switches bolted or taped to bowfishing reel attachments which fit on their risers.  Either way, be able to see and shot silently at night with a blue light for targets about 15 18  yards in front of you.  We hunted in the brush blinds during the day and after dark we moved out of the brush blinds and hunted in front of the blinds.  The blue light should illuminate the pigs without illuminating the inside of the brush blinds.   If you used the light inside the blind, all you see is the brush around you.  That was the first time I hunted on the ground without my db blind but my guilly suit worked great.  Bring something (bowie knife or short machete or gerber tool) able to cut brush and small shovel for small pit blinds.
I'm booked for the feb 14- 19, 2010 hunt and looking forward to hunting javes also.  My last trip was too late in the season to hunt em but the ranch was covered up with em.  Bring your judos and hex heads for the rabbits, lizards and anything else you want to stump shoot for.  Weather, expect everything and anything in west texas.  I wish I could give you better advise but its can vary alot there in a matter of hours on the plains out there.  There is not alot of humidity there so the nights will be cold and the weather can change quickly.  Bring wool.  Regardless, You will have a ball.

Offline BadKarma

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 12:25:00 PM »
Will be sending out the deposit to Curtis next Friday. Jan 24-27. This will be my first booked hunt ever!! I'm so jazzed that I'm trying to pack now.

Will be bringing the new Martin Jag T/D #55 and my old Pearson Rogue #50. Still working out the arrow builds, but will be Vapors for sure.

I just got 3 Rivers DVD "Javelina" and have almost wore it out. I wish it was 3 hours instead of 35 mins.
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.

May Thors Hammer ring in your favor!

Offline BadKarma

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 12:28:00 PM »
Umm.......what about those nasty slithering things with the nasty fangs? Are they hibernatin' about then?
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.

May Thors Hammer ring in your favor!

Offline Brent Hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 01:36:00 PM »
They should be sleeping.  If not, we texans like to stick em, eat em and wear em on our bows and boots.  Don't worry too much about it in Jan or Feb.  Any deer capable bow will do with the piggies along as you shoot heavier arrows.  I'll be bringing back my 48 lb bob lee classic elite.  Curtis will show you a great time.

Online The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2009, 01:51:00 PM »
Thanks for the info, Brent!

Offline Brent Hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2009, 03:13:00 PM »
If you need anything else, give me a holla.  I'm stoked about going back.

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2009, 05:30:00 PM »
I'm heading on the New Year's hunt, this will be a swine time for all!
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2009, 05:35:00 PM »
Chris, I'll give you a call and weather report after our hunt.  It can vary quite a bit this time of year, but will probably be fairly mild compared to what you are used to for this time of year.

If you come through Central AR, give me a ring buddy!
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Online Phillip Fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2009, 06:35:00 PM »
Hello, Greetings from Virginia. I have been considering this hunt for my wife and I. We have hunted Texas in past years. I have taken hogs and javelina, my wife has only taken small game. If we made the hunt it would probably be Jan 24 - 29. I know some guys are put off by having a woman in camp. I shoot an A&H - ACS. My wife currently shoots a Jeff Massie longbow.

Good hunting!
Phil
Keep em Sharp!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©