3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Chek-mate bows??  (Read 1000 times)

Offline the force

• Trad Bowhunter
Chek-mate bows??
« on: July 16, 2009, 11:34:00 AM »
Anybody have one shot one how are they fast smooth handshock??
Hoyt Tiburon

Offline PICKNGRIN

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Chek-mate bows??
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 11:39:00 AM »
I have owned a Checkmate Firebird recurve(no longer made) and a Crusader longbow.  Both were smooth, fast, with no handshock.  Well made, I wish I would have kept the Firebird!!

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 12:27:00 PM »
I have a Chek-mate Crusader longbow,a sweet shooter,fast,no handshock and a well made and well finished.I had a Longhorn flatbow with a set-back grip,wish I still had it.

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 01:07:00 PM »
I LOVE my 68" Crusader.  Stable, smooth, well made.  Stealthy quiet.

My Hunter II is a good bow too (I really don't use it much as I am a LB guy, but it is a keeper none-the-less).

These are solid bows.  Marc is an excellent bowyer.  These fly under the radar, and are a really nice product and an outstanding value.  Those of us who have them like then, and those who had them seem to say they whish they still did.

BobW
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 01:11:00 PM »
Very nice bows but the grips are on the large side for me. Personal preference. I have had two.

Offline ArkyBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 02:01:00 PM »
I have a 62" Crusader that is my go to bow.  Very smooth, great craftmanship, quiet, and fits my hand very well.  It will be back with me in Colorado in Sept.  Very reasonable price also compared to some of the other custom bows.  The Crusader doesn't have a large grip at all, I have relatively small hands and have shot several of them and nome of them seemed to have a large grip.  

BOB
"There are some that can live without wild things, and some that cannot."  -  Aldo Leopold

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 05:32:00 PM »
Bob, I was refering to the hunter 2 and 56" hunter I had. Largest grips of any recurve I have owned.

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 05:34:00 PM »
My goto is a Crusader 56# @ 28" - definitely a good shooter. Quiet, smooth, and no hand shock to me. Give Chad (LBR) a email Chad at recurves dot com. He can answer any questions you may have and is a great source of knowledge on those bows. Distributor, too.
Romans 8:28

Offline acadian archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 05:41:00 PM »
I have the Kings Pawn Deluxe recurve (41#). It's a great shooter, no hand shock and the grip fits good to my hand (I have small hands and the grip is fine for me). No hand shock at all.

Nice looking bow, shoots great and they truly are a great value. Don't be scared by the price. Maybe they sell for a great price because Chek Mate doesn't advertise/have no web site and as such those costs savings are passed on to the customer.

Great product.
44# Chek mate Hunter II

"shoot what you like, like what you shoot"

Offline ArkyBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 05:47:00 PM »
Ringneck, I have heard about the recurves having a large grip.  I just don't have any experience with the recurves.  I do know that Marc (the bowyer for Chekmate) makes a fine bow.

BOB
"There are some that can live without wild things, and some that cannot."  -  Aldo Leopold

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 06:17:00 PM »
The bowyer will make the grip as you desire if you talk to him.  ChekMates are as good a bow as is being offered nowadays.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 06:17:00 PM »
I have a Hunter II and love it.  I notice no hand shock.  Though it is really the only recurve I have shot.  I like the grip, feels very natural as I hole it.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 06:24:00 PM »
They are great bows.  BTW, he supplies Steve Gorr at Cascade Bows with bows made to Steve's specs.
Lon Scott

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 06:26:00 PM »
I have owned an Attila and a Falcon good bows for the money the grip on the Falcon was a bit large for my hand and they are no speed deamons but good bows.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Offline allan f

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 06:34:00 PM »
Well I hate them.......evrerytime I try a new model I have to get it.  I have now owned 5 of them and have three still.  My first bow was a Falcon and I loved it but got a Longhorn and foolishly sold the Falcon.  I then got a Chekmate Hunter 2 and traded it for a Robertson longbow....and promptly bought a Crusader.  Then I missed the Hunter 2 and got another.  So you can see why I hate them.

They are a great bow and a great price.  Shoot one and you will see.    The Longhorn is awesome and looks great to.
Allan

Offline Two Arrows

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2009, 09:09:00 PM »
Love the Hunter II's.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Tilbilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2009, 09:40:00 PM »
I have a new Falcon, one I found in stock. The doggone bow is purdy, smokes an arrow and is downright fun to shoot. The grip isn't big at all. The finish and gluelines look excellent. And all for $300. CDN new! And it can't ever be pried out of my hands   :archer:
The older I get, the better I was.

Offline Panzer II

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2009, 09:44:00 PM »
I have owned several BIG name bows, but they are all gone now because none of them could outshoot my Chek-Mate (Hunter I).

Offline Gordy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2009, 10:41:00 PM »
The hunter 2 is the bow I always go back to...... 3rd time now   ;)  

Have had a Raven, Falcon and Crusader as well.

You can't do any better at the same price point ....or even more in many cases.   If you like to drive a pick-up with good power, you'll love the CM's   ;)
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2009, 02:42:00 PM »
I have a King's Pawn. It was a little finicky to set up, but once it was it is very hand shock friendly:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©