3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone else find this offensive?  (Read 2198 times)

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
Anyone else find this offensive?
« on: July 16, 2009, 11:27:00 PM »
I just viewed a disturbing commercial on the Outdoor Channel from Cabelas. It depicts an archer carrying a wheel bow and all the latest gear as an intelligent, capable hunter, and compares him to another archer dressed in nothing but red long johns and boots, carrying a recurve bow and a back quiver. This guy stumbles over logs, fumbles for arrows, and is generally depicted as a bumbling idiot! I find this extremely offensive to not only me, but to our sport and everyone in it! I have emailed the Media Communications Manager and expressed my displeasure with this ad, and cancelled my Cabelas Club membership as well. If you are as insulted as I am, then I suggest you do the same.

Regards...Ken
Ken "Spanky" Neal

4 Sunset Hills and counting!

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone else find this offensive?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 11:33:00 PM »
That sounds pretty offensive to me.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 11:38:00 PM »
anyone have a link to the video?
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Online DGW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 11:46:00 PM »
I saw it and was not impressed. will have to email them.

Offline pronghorn23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 11:53:00 PM »
What is the commercial for?...Just Cabelas or some particular archery product?

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 12:02:00 AM »
It's for Cabelas in general. It basically is saying that if you don't hunt with the latest and greatest stuff, your a moron - at least that's the way it comes off to me! It may not do any good, but go to thier website, to the "About Us" section, and email the Media Communications Manager if you want to make your voice heard.

Thanks...Ken
Ken "Spanky" Neal

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

Online DGW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 12:04:00 AM »
It was promoting cabelas card and points the guy that was using club points had all the camo and modern equipment the guy with the recurve and just long johns did not have a card so had very little stuff to hunt with. I still did not like it he could of had a cheep compound, we all know what our stuff cost!!

Offline deadpool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 12:05:00 AM »
wow makes me glad I never buy from cabelas

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 12:08:00 AM »
It's all about the Benjamins. They know where the cash flow is for their business and that's who they market to. Surprised he wasn't carrying a x-bow.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 12:09:00 AM »
LMAO!!! They should have used, "The Jimmer" from "Escanaba in Da Moonlight"   :biglaugh:  

Offensive: yes
 Knowing that the "real moron" bought the whole store in hopes to bag a deer: Priceless.
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 12:13:00 AM »
Originally posted by vermonster13:
It's all about the Benjamins. They know where the cash flow is for their business and that's who they market to. Surprised he wasn't carrying a x-bow.
LMAO even more!!!!   :knothead:  NO DOUBT Vermonster!!!! That would have been the real way it's gonna be. I completely stopped going to a local "archery" shop because they are all about x-bows now and don't give a crap about anything else. It's a shame cause they carry a few Thundersticks  and used to have a decent trad section. All has given way to those pieces of crap. I'm ranting but you can only guess how I feel about those P.O.S.!
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 12:28:00 AM »
It just ticks me off that here we are as traditionalists, not bashing others chosen equipment for the sake of our seasons, and in hopes of converting those worth the effort, to our sport, and here comes a major supplier of outdoor equipment joining in on the "let's trash the other guy's stuff" bandwagon! I wonder who the guy who wrote that commercial would rather have shoot a balloon placed between his knees - Howard Hill, or that guy carying the wheel bow?    :biglaugh:   I know advertising is geared towards particular audiences, but you don't have to trash others to get a point across!

Ken
Ken "Spanky" Neal

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 01:15:00 AM »
Originally posted by SpankyNeal:
 I know advertising is geared towards particular audiences, but you don't have to trash others to get a point across!

Ken
I've been saying that about the traditional archery for a long time: that we should be able to promote our pastime without trashing others. Unfortunatley, a lot of us haven't quite figured that out yet. Do I find the commerical in question offensive? No more than a lot of what I hear and read on a daily basis from fellow traditional archers referring to other user groups.

Just food for thought.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 01:17:00 AM »
I just saw it too; and the well outfitted cabelas guy was able to walk without stumbling; while the unfortunately not outfitted guy was in his 'railroad suit' a red full bodied underwear. He had a back quiver on his bow; and a recurve in his hand.

It was insulting.

It was just a commercial for Cabelas showing what a well outfitted person looks like next to one that is not outfitted.

Stupid.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 01:20:00 AM »
thats about a bunch of #^@* i too saw the ad..it depicts the trad shooter as a bumbling drunk idiot.drooling and tripping over everything as he trys to keep up with the wheelie bow professional...i emailed cabelas also a few days ago when i first saw it.no response from them...this is a direct kick in da xxxxx for trad shooters...cabelas wont get a penny outta me.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2009, 01:26:00 AM »
I just left a note to Cabelas. I have a friend coming over to hunt from Sweden and he is about to make a BIG order from Cabelas. He hunts with a black widow recurve...

The real bumbling fool is the person(s) that made this commercial !!!
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Toecutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2009, 01:27:00 AM »
Sounds pretty typical for Cabela's  :rolleyes:
"To be what we are, and to become what we are capable of becoming, is the only end of life." RLS

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2009, 02:09:00 AM »
I just sent them an email cancelling my stannding catalogs and letting them know I won't be buying from them anymore.  I plan to let everyone I know not to shop there either.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2009, 06:37:00 AM »
"Your recent ad on The Outdoor Channel shows a compound bow hunter with all the latest gear and depicts him as an intelligent, competent hunter, and contrasts him with another traditional bowhunter who is depicted as a bumbling, ignorant, fool! As a highly skilled traditional bowhunter, I found this advertisement extremely offensive!!! Please do not send me any more catalogs etc. from your company as I will now be purchasing my hunting equipment from Basspro!"

Sincerely,

Steve
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2009, 07:10:00 AM »
Originally posted by Jason R. Wesbrock:

Originally posted by SpankyNeal:
 I know advertising is geared towards particular audiences, but you don't have to trash others to get a point across!

Ken
I've been saying that about the traditional archery for a long time: that we should be able to promote our pastime without trashing others. Unfortunatley, a lot of us haven't quite figured that out yet. Do I find the commerical in question offensive? No more than a lot of what I hear and read on a daily basis from fellow traditional archers referring to other user groups.

Just food for thought. [/b]
Was my first thought actually.

Steve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©