3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone else find this offensive?  (Read 2201 times)

Offline gsdmikko

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone else find this offensive?
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2009, 10:08:00 AM »
Also,think about the house you go up to and ask permission to hunt.and the people there just saw that ad recently..how's that make them look at you..
Follow Your Dreams
" It's better to die Livin'
  Than live Dyin "

Offline Forrest Creature 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2009, 10:09:00 AM »
Someone please send me the Email address so i to can contact that store. I think we all need to contact that store and tell them how we feel.

Offline gsdmikko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2009, 10:40:00 AM »
the outdoor channel should show the "3 rivers " ad ( that they pulled ) right after the cabellas ad,just to show how clumsy we are  ( NOT )
Follow Your Dreams
" It's better to die Livin'
  Than live Dyin "

Offline Forrest Creature 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2009, 10:51:00 AM »
I just got off the phone with a Rep from that store and told them that the Trag Gang is not happy with the ad that was ran. 1-800-237-4444 is a contact where you can leave a message for the ad people at that store.Please call and tell them how you feel.

Offline dan ferguson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2009, 11:05:00 AM »
Personally I have dark green longjohns and shirt, If I remember they have cabelas on the tag now I am just going to have to go look.

Offline BadKarma

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2009, 11:41:00 AM »
I got a reply from Cabelas:

Thank you for telling us of your concerns about the television commercial, which is being pulled off the air as of this morning.

We certainly did not intend to offend anyone in the hunting world and apologize for that. It was not our intention to depict traditional bowhunters in a bad light nor pit one segment of the outdoor sporting world against another.

Our attempt at a light-hearted message apparently missed the target and we are moving quickly to correct it.

Again, thank you for letting us know your feelings.

Sincerely,

Joe

Joe Arterburn

Corporate Communications Manager

Cabela's Inc.

One Cabela Drive

Sidney, NE 69160
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.

May Thors Hammer ring in your favor!

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2009, 11:42:00 AM »
Got this response this morning.
Brandon,

Thank you for telling us of your concerns about the television commercial, which is being pulled off the air as of this morning.

We certainly did not intend to offend anyone in the hunting world and apologize for that. It was not our intention to depict traditional bowhunters in a bad light nor pit one segment of the outdoor sporting world against another.

Our attempt at a light-hearted message apparently missed the target and we are moving quickly to correct it.

Sincerely,

Joe
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

"BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW"

Offline BadKarma

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2009, 11:43:00 AM »
HAHAHAHA!!!!!  Cut and Paste!!!!!
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.

May Thors Hammer ring in your favor!

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2009, 11:51:00 AM »
either way you look at it the implications are that a recurve shooter is an idiot out running around in his/her undrwear.does not matter is just not gonna cut it in my opinion.this type of advertising is just not good for traditional hunters plain and simple.ever heard the phrase pick your battles? well i pick this one.traditional shooters allready have enough of a rep as the lower class hunters.i was recently pulled over by an oregon state trooper,he saw my longbow and looks at me and says..bowhunter eh,you must have a felony on your record and cant own a gun huh.i laughed at him then told him the police officers i know that bowhunt must be felons too,shut him right up.YOU HAVE TO STAND FOR SOMETHING OR YOU'LL FALL FOR ANYTHING.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2009, 12:00:00 PM »
Holy cow I can't believe you guys got that shut down before this thread even got pulled.  Good for you.

Offline adirondack46r

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2009, 12:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by SpankyNeal:
It just ticks me off that here we are as traditionalists, not bashing others chosen equipment...
Actually, if you hang around here long enough you will see plenty of it. Most of it is subtle, but it's there. I agree with the "pick your battles" philosophy as mentioned above, and on this one I say just roll with the punch.

By the way, I live in Tennessee. Have you ever seen anyone from Tennessee depicted in a poor light? 'nuf said?

Let's get on with the business of helping each other be better hunters and shooters of trad equipment.

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2009, 12:12:00 PM »
I have a really hard time rolling with the punches.  I don't think you did anything wrong by letting them know.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2009, 12:17:00 PM »
Ads like that are why I quit buying any Cabala's products a long time ago.  That, plus a know nothing staff whenever I tried to shop one of their stores.

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2009, 12:18:00 PM »
we would have been doing something wrong by not saying something....i just got the same email a sec ago....haaaaa...love it when they squirm.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2009, 12:24:00 PM »
I agree elkherder.

Offline jgbennett6

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2009, 12:46:00 PM »
didn't bother me, I took it for what it was worth and who made it. cabela's is targeting thier high $ spending audience. Maybe people who go hunting in their underwear should be up in arms over this commercial. Imagine the response if the underwear hunter was toting a crossbow!!... It is also kind of hypocrytical of us since I have seen many tradbow hunters stick their noses up at compound shooters.
Smoooooth!!
TGMM - Family of the bow

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2009, 12:51:00 PM »
This arguing aint going to help us any.  point noted.  There is a kid on the target thread that sounds like he could use some arrows.

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2009, 01:00:00 PM »
Thank you to all who responded to the company regarding this matter as it seems they have pulled the ad. As I stated elsewhere, I am too old probably to see our archery seasons disappear, but I would love for my son, and his children, to be able to enjoy this sport of ours throughout thier lifetime. We as archers, need to be supportive of each other, where it counts, to protect our sport. Yes we do sometimes bash our wheel bow counterparts, but my experience has been that the bashing we recieve from them is 100 times worse. I fully intend to maintain my traditional values in hopes of bringing others back into archery as it was meant to be, and defend our sport against all who seek to condemn it, and I hope you all will do the same. I'm including the response I recieved, which was the same as the others, and what I sent them. Thanks again for everyones supporting actions!

Regards...Ken

Kenneth,

Sincerely,

Joe

Joe Arterburn

Corporate Communications Manager

Cabela's Inc.

One Cabela Drive

Sidney, NE 69160

[email protected]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2009 9:14 PM
To: Joe Arterburn
Subject: Television Commercial

Dear Mr. Arterburn,

I have just viewed your commercial on the Outdoor Channel that depicts an archer with all of the latest gear as being an intelligent, up to date hunter, and compares him to another archer carrying a recurve bow and a back quiver, dressed in red long johns, as being a bumbling idiot! Being a traditional bowhunter who hunts with nothing but longbows, wood arrows, and a back quiver, I take extreme offense to the image you are portraying of traditional archers! I have seen many more bumbling idiots in the woods carrying all the latest equipment than I ever have of those who choose traditional equipment in my 40+ years of bowhunting! In your corporate core values statement you list "Respect for individuals". I find this advertisement a violation of that statement, and totally disrespectful to myself, and all traditional archers. You may cancel my Cabelas Club membership effective immediately, and I will not consider Cabelas for any of my outdoor needs as long as this advertisement continues to air!

Respectfully,

Kenneth Neal
Ken "Spanky" Neal

4 Sunset Hills and counting!

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2009, 01:00:00 PM »
Bringing to their attention that it could hurt the image of skilled traditional archers is ok. I thank the ones of you that have done so. I believe that they did not intend to put anyone in a bad light. I talked to some of them today as well. They are doing what any other company would do. Target there high spending crowd.  I have seen many times where traditionalist have put down our more modern counterparts. If you look at it we are all part of the same team choosing to use different weapons. We should respect eachother for that if nothing else. Anyone who has been with me at a shoot or hunting camp would say that I like to give "training wheel" shooters a hard time. I make sure they know that it is in fun and they in turn give me a hard time.

I know that this can give a bad impression of those of us who choose to hunt and shoot trad archery equipment. It is good that they see that and have taken actions to remove it from the air. I dont think that it is a detrimental mistake on the part of cabelas though.

Cant we all just get along lol.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2009, 01:01:00 PM »
exactly mo....right on bro  :notworthy:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©